VFL VFL: Geelong Season 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
A THURSDAY night match at GMHBA Stadium highlights the next fixture release for Geelong’s VFL team.

The AFL has released rounds 5 and 6 of the 2021 season, with the Cats to host Coburg in Round 6 on May 20.

It follows a trip to Casey Fields on Saturday, May 15 for a match-up with the Casey Demons.

The Thursday game will be the Cats’ second in three rounds, with Shane O’Bree’s charges taking on the Northern Bullants at Marvel Stadium this week.

Interesting that the club has now removed their tweet in regards to buy tickets for our match this Thursday; wondering if it was because they weren't happy with a couple of the replies asking why a Geelong VFL home match is being played at Marvel, plus then the question regarding ticket costs and why away club members get a discount but there appears to be no discount for the home team members

Adult tickets are $10, but Away Club members get $5 & just have to show their away club membership at the gate - I was really looking forward to answer regarding that

Kitcat

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting that the club has now removed their tweet in regards to buy tickets for our match this Thursday; wondering if it was because they weren't happy with a couple of the replies asking why a Geelong VFL home match is being played at Marvel, plus then the question regarding ticket costs and why away club members get a discount but there appears to be no discount for the home team members

Adult tickets are $10, but Away Club members get $5 & just have to show their away club membership at the gate - I was really looking forward to answer regarding that
Thanks. I just assumed we were the away team at Marvel. I will still go but for $10 instead of the $5 I was expecting.

Thanks. I just assumed we were the away team at Marvel. I will still go but for $10 instead of the $5 I was expecting.

Members used to get free access to home VFL matches - curious as to why that doesn't seem the case here

If you haven't yet purchased a ticket maybe contact the club directly and ask about any member discount for attending the VFL

Members used to get free access to home VFL matches - curious as to why that doesn't seem the case here

If you haven't yet purchased a ticket maybe contact the club directly and ask about any member discount for attending the VFL

Even I know that one... when did it change or it just for this game?

And i wonder if the use of the stadium and this TV coverage facilities has anything to do with it?

Marvel will get used more than KP and the TV stuff im sure will be left in at MArvel, but KP with only 9 games wont be left there over a 5 month season.

Its not right nor do i agree but it might be a factor

Go Catters

Even I know that one... when did it change or it just for this game?

And i wonder if the use of the stadium and this TV coverage facilities has anything to do with it?

Marvel will get used more than KP and the TV stuff im sure will be left in at MArvel, but KP with only 9 games wont be left there over a 5 month season.

Its not right nor do i agree but it might be a factor

Go Catters

I'm not sure if it's just the venue, and if it cause the game's at Marvel then I can understand a nominal fee - but why do the away club members seemingly get cheaper access than home club members?

That's my main frustration is that Geelong members are almost being punished for being the home team - doesn't make much sense

Flips

Rookie
Jan 31, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Will Taheny ever play league footy?
Hard for flankers to star in vfl but time is slipping by....

Maybe it's just me, but this seems the biggest cop out of an excuse for his actions

Note, I'm not saying he's lying about his blood sugar Leven but seems to be a convenient excuse for actions rather than taking responsibility for it. And if it was such an issue to the point of him not feeling 100% then why didn't he put his hand up and say he wasn't in a position to take time the field to start the match and until such time he was feeling better & his blood sugars had increased

McCartin: In the lead-up to the game (as a type 1 diabetic) my blood sugars ran lower than they normally do. Unusually low, really. Just before I went to the huddle before we went out for positions, I checked my blood sugars as I wasn't feeling 100 per cent. They were 3.8, which is not the worst result but it's not ideal. between 5 and 10 is the ideal range. I had a gel which contains sugar to treat the blood sugar as I've done in the past. That can take between 5 to 15, 20 minutes to take effect.

McCartin: I was more agitated than normal (as a result of the low blood sugar).

McCartin: He said I was sweating up and thought I was unfit ... nothing I haven't heard before. It did agitate me and irked me more than it usually would due to my blood sugars.

McCartin: He comes in to push me, I'm looking at the ball and I went to punch him in the chest. I got him in the chin ... I felt numb about it, I couldn't believe it happened and was probably as stunned as he was.

McCartin did not intend to hit him in the chin. "No. God no."

McCartin: There was no contact on his arm or anything like that. (You just got it wrong?) Yeah. I wasn't looking at him and I just got him in the chin. I didn't mean to do that.

McCartin didn't go back over to Black but he "was very concerned". After Black came back on six minutes later, "I immediately said sorry and I didn't mean to hit him in the chin, to which he responded that... he used a few expletives which is completely understandable. I definitely made sure to apologise as soon as he came out."

McCartin: I went to hit him in the chest to get away from him and make separation. I was quite agitated at that point ... I led up towards the ball afterwards. I just wanted to get some split off him, but I just got it wrong.
I spoke to Aaron Black yesterday. He said he was alright which I was really happy with ... my main concern was just making sure his wellbeing's alright, that's what I thought as soon as it happened.

McCartin: I'm gutted about it, really, and really really upset about it. Through my own experience, there's no way I would intentionally punch someone in the face and try and hurt them. I've been gutted; it's been the most difficult days I've dealt with for a very long time.

Don't you love it when a team goes to the tribunal and don't exactly know why they went or what they're arguing...

All updates courtesy of Max Laughton

- For what it's worth, McCartin is arguing against severe impact, but the discussion has been about intent so far.

- The Tribunal and Swans are debating what exactly they are defending. The Tribunal wants the discussion to be about the severe impact grading (versus high), over whether McCartin actually intended to make high contact, which the Swans are accepting.

- Technically the Swans are arguing it was intentional contact that was high, not that it was intentional high contact.
"There shouldn't be this distinction between this intention to hit the head and the chest" says Richard Loveridge, who's on the Tribunal panel.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Will Taheny ever play league footy?
Hard for flankers to star in vfl but time is slipping by....

Looked an absolute star junior as a bottom ager. Went into his top age U18 year as a top 10, maybe even top 5 prospect. I watched him play VFL on the weekend and he showed nothing.

Kitcat

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
McCartin gone for 5 weeks - the league was arguing for 6 weeks, while his lawyers were arguing for 4 weeks down to 3 as he had pled guilty
So Danger gets 3 weeks for a bump, and he gets 5 for a deliberate punch to the head behind play.

Seems about right, Gaff got 8 but he caused a lot of damage to Brayshaw. Black was uninjured.

He wasn't as severely injured as Bradshaw, but he wasn't uninjured either - swollen jaw & bleeding inside the mouth

He wasn't as severely injured as Bradshaw, but he wasn't uninjured either - swollen jaw & bleeding inside the mouth
So virtually uninjured then. Swelling and a little bleeding is bloody nothing.

Brayshaw had a broken jaw and required surgery. 5 is a perfect balance.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
It was a pop in the jaw. Way more likely to get really injured in a sling tackle which don't get any weeks these days.
5 weeks is about right cause of how it looks and he got a swollen jaw.
I would of thought 4.

So virtually uninjured then. Swelling and a little bleeding is bloody nothing.

Brayshaw had a broken jaw and required surgery. 5 is a perfect balance.
Agree with your assessment as the current rules are. But I’d be keen for them to adopt a severe penalty for any punch. Say, 8 weeks. You’d pretty quickly see the end of it. It has no place in the game.

Looked an absolute star junior as a bottom ager. Went into his top age U18 year as a top 10, maybe even top 5 prospect. I watched him play VFL on the weekend and he showed nothing.
Sometimes I look at those super long arms of his and think that it's the kind of thing that gives you a pretty good advantage at the junior level just being able to outmark your height. Maybe a few contest level advantages too. But if you're not committed you won't get anywhere past that level.

Has been named in the bests a few times iirc though, so might be a slow burn. Development is never linear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back