VFL Grand Final - Footscray vs Box Hill Hawks @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

You win VFL flags with seasoned players. If you are a seasoned player in the VFL, chances are you are not good enough to play AFL.

The Dogs good kids didn't play, as they played AFL all year. I'd be surprised if many of that team made the transition to AFL.
Talia, Johannisen, Darley, Jones, Tutt, Campbell, Jong, Cordy, Honeychurch are all young kids who were extremely important in todays win (and the rest of the season at different times) and have all shown they at least have the potential to be quite good AFL players and quite a few of them should probably transition to AFL. So I disagree

You win VFL flags with seasoned players. If you are a seasoned player in the VFL, chances are you are not good enough to play AFL.

The Dogs good kids didn't play, as they played AFL all year. I'd be surprised if many of that team made the transition to AFL.

Of that VFL side today hope Jong, Talia, Campbell, Jones and possibly Grant and Cordy can have an impact at AFL level.

Calling the game on radio today (3WBC) we were left in no doubt that resting Cyril was a big (but no the only) factor in Box Hill losing. With him being on the bench and Luke Andrews being injured in the first term, the Hawks players just started to 'blow up' from being run into the ground.

Players like Litherland came the bench area midway during the final term to find no-one who could take their place, due to being stuffed/injured themselves or a dejected Cyril watching on know he could do something, but can't. In fact, an injured Iles started the final quarter in the forward pocket.

This is NOT the only time Clarkson has screwed Box Hill in the VFL finals. Some of you may recall in 2011 when Hawthorn rested 8 players for their final round match against Gold Coast. Due to that and injuries, Box Hill had to go into a VFL elimination final against Werribee making THIRTEEN CHANGES!

Will this hurt/damage/end the Box Hill - Hawthorn alignment? No.

Why? Box Hill were never a strong VFA club (unlike Port Melb who had the pokies and supporters base to tell North to F*** Off).

The whole 'best alignment in the VFL' thing is a sham. Box Hill were stuffed in 2000. Financially were not looking great and had few supporters, thus 'taken over' by Hawthorn. In the last 15 seasons, they have lost their jumper, their nickname and control of their club (9 board members = 5 Hawthorn and 4 Box Hill).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jong, Talia, Campbell, Honeychurch, Darley and Johannisen will all play 100+ games for the Western Bulldogs, at least.

Jones will have no trouble hitting that mark either (particularly given our lack of key forward depth), but there's rumblings that he'll leave. Hopefully today changed his mind.

Calling the game on radio today (3WBC) we were left in no doubt that resting Cyril was a big (but no the only) factor in Box Hill losing. With him being on the bench and Luke Andrews being injured in the first term, the Hawks players just started to 'blow up' from being run into the ground.

Players like Litherland came the bench area midway during the final term to find no-one who could take their place, due to being stuffed/injured themselves or a dejected Cyril watching on know he could do something, but can't. In fact, an injured Iles started the final quarter in the forward pocket.

This is NOT the only time Clarkson has screwed Box Hill in the VFL finals. Some of you may recall in 2011 when Hawthorn rested 8 players for their final round match against Gold Coast. Due to that and injuries, Box Hill had to go into a VFL elimination final against Werribee making THIRTEEN CHANGES!

Why? Box Hill were never a strong VFA club (unlike Port Melb who had the pokies and supporters base to tell North to F*** Off).

The whole 'best alignment in the VFL' thing is a sham. Box Hill were stuffed in 2000. Financially were not looking great and had few supporters, thus 'taken over' by Hawthorn. In the last 15 seasons, they have lost their jumper, their nickname and control of their club (9 board members = 5 Hawthorn and 4 Box Hill).
You obviously know the VFL quite well. Which team has the 'best alignment' in your opinion?

Jong, Talia, Campbell, Honeychurch, Darley and Johannisen will all play 100+ games for the Western Bulldogs, at least.

Jones will have no trouble hitting that mark either (particularly given our lack of key forward depth), but there's rumblings that he'll leave. Hopefully today changed his mind.
Why would he want to leave? Doesnt like being blamed for the key forward failings?

Why would he want to leave? Doesnt like being blamed for the key forward failings?
As far as I know, he's unhappy about spending so much time in the VFL (I'm sure he'll forgive that just for today, haha), and the club isn't willing to pay him what he thinks he's worth.

I hope he re-signs, he'll click very soon. Talls take time. I'd hate to have invested all this time only to lose him.

You obviously know the VFL quite well. Which team has the 'best alignment' in your opinion?

Probably the 'split alignment' that North Melbourne have. Half their list to North Ballarat, the other half to Werribee.

Prior to that the Sandringam/Melbourne relationship seemed pretty good, before that all went south.

I don't care if that lost BH the game, but icing a fit Rioli while sending an injured Iles on field was against the whole spirit of the game. Disgraceful act.

Cordy... I'm not sure whether he'll improve any further, but Grant prior to his las foot injury was incredibly dynamic and probably or best forward. Super hard to match up on, just needs a consistent run at it. He is what we need... just whether the MC can continue with his up and down form.

i'm probably more harsh on Grant then others but to me he is no better then Josh Hill, does nice things when the team pays well but gets found out when things really matter. We had too many of those players under eade and don't need them again.

Good game of footy and just rewards for hard work.

No one is kidding themselves, this isn't The Big One, it wasn't The Day we've been waiting for, but its a premiership none the less. A flag in a competition we've dominated whenever we've entered a side in it. 90 yr hiatus, come back and win a flag in our first season back. I think we're well within rights to get around it, unashamedly happy.

What, as soon as somebody says something about a Hawks player that you disagree or don't like they are trolling?....lol
Bobby has a history of it and almost every post of his relating to Hawthorn is negative. Cyril has played 130 odd games and is still only 25 so it's not like injuries have affected him that greatly that he can't go on.

He is clearly trolling and if you can't see that you are either blind or dumb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bobby has a history of it and almost every post of his relating to Hawthorn is negative. Cyril has played 130 odd games and is still only 25 so it's not like injuries have affected him that greatly that he can't go on.

He is clearly trolling and if you can't see that you are either blind or dumb
Well that's a bit silly. people can have an opinion that with the extreme set of bad hamstrings that he wont be a player that wont play into his late 20's, not being blind or dumb its just somebody s observation.

Hawthorn's whole attitude to the VFL has left a very bad taste in the mouth's of long time VFA supporters. (To be fair they are not the only AFL club to treat the VFL with distain).

The handling of Ben McEvoy is exhibit A. Played him against Williamstown even though he wasn't eligible and had to get VFL executive permission, a move that cost one of the oldest and proudest clubs a grand final berth. I have no doubt that had McEvoy not played in the preliminary final, Williamstown would have been playing Footscray on Sunday.

Then Hawthown withdrew him from Box Hill's team for the Grand Final, allowing Tom Campbell and Ayce Cordy to dominate the rucks, especially in the crucial last quarter. That contributed to the Mustangs not going back to back.

The VFL comp is a farce and it's Grand Final means less than any Grand Final that is awarded anywhere basically.

Hawthorn's whole attitude to the VFL has left a very bad taste in the mouth's of long time VFA supporters. (To be fair they are not the only AFL club to treat the VFL with distain).

The handling of Ben McEvoy is exhibit A. Played him against Williamstown even though he wasn't eligible and had to get VFL executive permission, a move that cost one of the oldest and proudest clubs a grand final berth. I have no doubt that had McEvoy not played in the preliminary final, Williamstown would have been playing Footscray on Sunday.

Then Hawthown withdrew him from Box Hill's team for the Grand Final, allowing Tom Campbell and Ayce Cordy to dominate the rucks, especially in the crucial last quarter. That contributed to the Mustangs not going back to back.

People seem to know all the problems, but what exactly is the solution? Would it be preferred that Ben McEvoy doesn't play in the prelim, and in all likelihood, rules himself out of AFL GF contention? Would it be better if he and Sewell were played in the GF, and ruled themselves out of AFL GF contention? The fact that McEvoy wasn't eligible for the prelim is ridiculous. It was obvious we weren't just stacking BH with Hawthorn listed players, we were giving a player a chance to fight his way back into the firsts.

I mean seriously, what point is there in having a seconds team if you can't use it to give your players the best possible chance of playing in the firsts? Hawthorn could always go the route of other AFL teams and have their own standalone in the VFL. I'm sure you'd much prefer Box Hill to go broke, be uncompetitive with AFL seconds, and in all likelihood drop out of the VFL.

Congratulations to the boys from the Scray. Box Hill were on there last legs by midway through the last.

Was some great young talent on display from both sides. I really like Hallahan and Woodward personally, Sicily is very strong overhead also. Wish West Coast had drafted him last year

People seem to know all the problems, but what exactly is the solution? Would it be preferred that Ben McEvoy doesn't play in the prelim, and in all likelihood, rules himself out of AFL GF contention? Would it be better if he and Sewell were played in the GF, and ruled themselves out of AFL GF contention? The fact that McEvoy wasn't eligible for the prelim is ridiculous. It was obvious we weren't just stacking BH with Hawthorn listed players, we were giving a player a chance to fight his way back into the firsts.

I mean seriously, what point is there in having a seconds team if you can't use it to give your players the best possible chance of playing in the firsts? Hawthorn could always go the route of other AFL teams and have their own standalone in the VFL. I'm sure you'd much prefer Box Hill to go broke, be uncompetitive with AFL seconds, and in all likelihood drop out of the VFL.
But at the same time we weren't allowed to play players like Lachie Hunter who by round 22/23 in the AFL season had genuinely found himself back in the reserves and by your McEvoy logic despite our AFL team not playing finals should have been able to play in the VFL, because he absolutely wasn't in our best 22 by the end of the season,, because he had played one less game than qualified. We weren't allowed to play Hunter, because it's not 100% a VFL reserves, there still is an element of independent competition, and you're going to have to learn with it.

It's a bit stupid anyway. Jason Johannisen was qualified to play, although playing enough reserves games, was both more in the first than he was the seconds, and was in the firsts by the end of the year. Mark Austin played the last 11 games in the AFL and still qualified. But Lachie Hunter didn't.

But at the same time we weren't allowed to play players like Lachie Hunter who by round 22/23 in the AFL season had genuinely found himself back in the reserves and by your McEvoy logic despite our AFL team not playing finals should have been able to play in the VFL, because he absolutely wasn't in our best 22 by the end of the season,, because he had played one less game than qualified. We weren't allowed to play Hunter, because it's not 100% a VFL reserves, there still is an element of independent competition, and you're going to have to learn with it.

It's a bit stupid anyway. Jason Johannisen was qualified to play, although playing enough reserves games, was both more in the first than he was the seconds, and was in the firsts by the end of the year. Mark Austin played the last 11 games in the AFL and still qualified. But Lachie Hunter didn't.

The biggest difference here is that Hawthorn are still alive. I'm not saying the eligibility criteria are perfect, but surely any system that would rule out McEvoy from fighting for a spot in our GF team is not doing it right. Obviously there needs to be something stopping AFL teams who are out from stacking their VFL side, but this guy giving Hawthorn crap for apparently denying Williamstown a GF spot is just stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back