VFL loss again

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 5, 2004
Niddrie
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Airport West & Man Utd
How does a team with more than half the players on an AFL list, plus four rookies get pumped by a team with 0, nil, zero, nothing, nought players on an AFL list. How is this possible??

Jack-Packenham said:
How does a team with more than half the players on an AFL list, plus four rookies get pumped by a team with 0, nil, zero, nothing, nought players on an AFL list. How is this possible??

I think it's more team coherency than quality of players. If you have a team with a bunch of good players, half either out of position or coming back from injury, and a team where everyone trains and plays together every week, knows their game plan and the abilities of their team-mates, it's generally going to be the latter who will win.

That said, some of the VFL players are not even playing to their ability, as if disinterested. With players doing that how in hell is anyone supposed to win, let alone our boys?

It looks there is passion out there, when you get the coach putting in the paper Sheringham and Batch, and Egan as the best oo a bad day,
Egan, yes best on ground
Sheringham, well his opponent kicked 3 or 4 gaols and he had 5 touches and was of the ground 5 minutes into the 3 quarter, does Tudor watch the game to see what is going on.
Batch, I thought was only average, pulled away from some contests.
My best
Egan (BOG), Spencer, Lonergan, Rahilly,Hayne, Buckland,
My dissapointments
Tanace
Blake
Chambers
Byrnes (Captain)
Ablett
well thats my opinion anyway.

yeah our vfl side's form to date is very disappointing. I looked at the side in friday's paper, and thought to myself that the side selected couldn't possibly lose to frankston (admittedly though I know stuff all about them) given how many good senior listed players were selected to play.

to lose by that much is pretty unsatisfactory I would of thought.

tenace's form sounds like a bit of a worry...

Macpop,

you obviously didn't watch the game too closely.

Sheringham was assigned to Frankston goal sneak Justin Berry and Berry was dragged just before half time virtually kickless.

Sheringham appeared to hurt his knee just after half time.

Understand that Frankston's sole focus was too win the game whereas Geelong may be experimenting with different positions and getting players right for the seniors i.e Tenace, Sanderson (played a half)

You've got to look beyond the scoreboard sometimes.

diamond8 said:
Macpop,

you obviously didn't watch the game too closely.

Sheringham was assigned to Frankston goal sneak Justin Berry and Berry was dragged just before half time virtually kickless.

Sheringham appeared to hurt his knee just after half time.

Understand that Frankston's sole focus was too win the game whereas Geelong may be experimenting with different positions and getting players right for the seniors i.e Tenace, Sanderson (played a half)

You've got to look beyond the scoreboard sometimes.
disagree, to lose by that much with the fit players out there is pretty ordinary. the vfl is a competition isn't it?? you go out there to win the game don't you??

agree with what you are implying with the way they used the likes of sanderson though.

Yes Sheringham started on Berry but was move after he kicked 2 goals, and then Buckland was put on him and kept him kickless,then Kola was hurt and Buckland was pushed onto the wing, Rahilly ended up on Berry

Incorrect.

Koula came off about 15 minutes into the 1st quarter and didn't come back on.

Berry kicked 1 goal for the game - in the last quarter - read the results.

When Sheringham was injured, Danny Byrne played on Berry for most of the games remainder.

Buckland did not play on Berry at any stage and Rahilly didn't either. Rahilly appeared to be switching off the ball and played on 34 McCormack when he went back. You appear to be confusing McCormack with Berry 38

Batchelor was clearly the best player in the 1st half.

The point scores next to players names is a voting system ie Matt Spencer was rated 6th best Nick Batchelor rated best

seniorspanner47 said:
The point scores next to players names is a voting system ie Matt Spencer was rated 6th best Nick Batchelor rated best

So it is.

For a second I thought the inaccuracy in front of goal had seeped through from the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GeeCat said:
So it is.

For a second I thought the inaccuracy in front of goal had seeped through from the seniors.

Is this the 'B' column on the VFL website? Is so misleading, that is... I thought the same as you.

Oh. And, please, could someone tell me what happened to Koula? Did he end up concussed or something to not come back on?

Turbocat said:
Fair to say Batchelor has a future? Would he be a player in the mould of Enright? Whats his foot skills and pace like?
Turbocat, go back to my player ratings of 26/3/05 for a good description on Batchelor.

You actually read them at the time and commented.

Not in the mould of Enright. The player he reminds me of most is a skinny version of Greg Anderson ex. Don's and Crows if you remember him, coincidentally an ex Croweater.

diamond8, interested in how Lonner's is progressing. Where did he play? Has looked more assured down back but as i stated pre-season H will need a chop out @ CHF at times. Moon's seems reluctant, Charlie can only pinch hit there.

Do you think Lonner's will be ready at some stage this season? May not be physically strong enough yet but could play a similar style as Lucas, a mobile CHF.

Think he need's to be looked at at some stage even if it's off the bench.

Also interested in Spencer's and Prismall's progress.

I think Lonergan may be better suited in defence. Unfortunately he would be competing against similar players in Sanderson and Callan.

Lucas is more of a Ruck Rover in my opinion whereas Lonergan is more of a Mark/kick player. You're right - he is probably too light for a key forward position

He reminds me in a way of a Troy Chaplin or Jared Rivers type.

I think Spencer is close - only query is pace and ability to make smart decisions. Prismall has a lot of genuine talent but probably needs a year in the VFL but I definitely believe he'll be a senior player this time next year.

Thanks d8, don't think Lonner's would be competing with small/med's. in Sando and Callan more Moon's, Egan and Spencer as a 3rd tall down back.

Lucas play's CHF as a mobile Ruck Rover as suggested. Lonner's may not have the mobility to do this from your report, then will need to bulk up substantially over summer.

Good to hear that Spencer and Prismall are making some progress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back