Vfl practice match footscray vs williamstown

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t been mentioning his name a lot but Porter is a tackling machine. Gowers doing his fair share as well

Porter is a terrier out there. Small build but gets stuck in, a few VFL watchers did notice that he does like to put a bit of force behind his tackles also

So I'll start in the middle because that was by far our best line. West, Porter and Gowers were our main men in there and Sweet was rucking for most of the match. West looked so composed and smooth, Porter tackled and made them feel it, and Gowers threw his weight around and played with a lot of aggression. Gowers BOG as he did the hard work in the middle and kicked really straight up forward. Porter not fair behind, I think he got the most touches. Sweet won the hitouts but they weren't always to our advantage. Also had some terrible kicks but he's trying to open the game up rather than take safe options so that's alright. He's a good decision maker just needs to execute better.

In defence Gardner and Trengove were our two talls. Gardner started off poorly but worked his way into it by the end. Trengove wasn't good all day and I think he might have dropped every mark. Did better when he was rucking. Lynch off half back got a fair bit of it but his kicks were sometimes good and sometimes shocking. Khamis struggled but took a couple of nice marks.

Up forward Richards presented well and didn't drop his marks (and he was about the only one). Faded a little as the game went. Cavarra was quiet but was creative when he had it. Greene dropped his marks a fair few times and was a little disappointing. Pretty sure I saw him running with the rest of the team after the game so I think the injury scare isn't anything to worry about. Weightman was a bit inaccurate but zippy and took a monster specky, stood on the oppos shoulders and easily held onto it. Once he works on his set shots a bit he'll be a huge danger.

Williamstown were either unfit or not trying very hard so I wouldn't read into the scoreline too much. Wind also made it very hard for anyone to kick straight. Main takeaway from me is that Gowers is far from out the door yet. I thought he was a real leader today. Porter and West are also too good for this level.

Edit: Butler and Lachie Young not playing. Not sure what to make of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back