2nds VFL practice match v Collingwood (12pm, Saturday 2nd April Simonds Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta say Buzza and Lucey are a looooong way off.

That's hardly a surprise. Two guys who have only started playing the game in the last few years are unlikely to make a mark early, unless they are some sort of freak athlete named Blicavs.

Yep Ruggles stepped up that Q. Plenty to do down there. Cowan done some good things but too little influence for mine.

All the kids struggling. Pies look more mature all over the park.

Normal good VFL players down
On output

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sounds like Horlin-Smith may play in place of the injured Jimmy Bartel (head knock).

I'd like to see GHS get a run, he will be a fine player. You are pretty sure Bartel is out?

I'm starting to fear for Bartel's long term health. He is a father now and at the end of the day it's only footy.

If Jimmy was concussed last week I'd suspect Geelong would be in a fair bit of trouble bringing him back on.
Yeah didn't they tighten the rules around concussions?

I think Jub's is right, if Bartel was likely to be pulled then Cowan or Menzel would have also travelled to Canberra.

If Jimmy was concussed last week I'd suspect Geelong would be in a fair bit of trouble bringing him back on.
I wouldn't play Jimmy this week anyway.
He Boris and Lonergan should miss travelling on short turnarounds as often as possible.
Not all in the same game, of course.

Not sure anyone actually said he got concussed last week.
Just brought up the amount of concussions he has had in his career. He certainly got up and was stumbling around when he got kneed in the head by Hodge.
This is one area I have full confidence in the medical staff, They take this stuff seriously. If he's a late out or not, I'm confident they'll have thoroughly assessed his well-being and will make the right call, irrespective of whether or not it conflicts with the interests of the MC.

Just back from the game... not really a lot to like for mine..all very preliminary and early for our young guys. Some of the VFL guys made me wonder who they were... but for those that think some players should be basically auto selections... I didn't see it... but it was VFL practice..no doubt no one going flat out.

Buzza..To me he looked to be almost playing around guys. I read that he hurt himself before I got there. ..I did see him look too limited..its just that he really doesn't own his spot yet. Really just learning to play at this level.
Cornell.. Has a fair bit work to do. Looked a bit slow , looked like he a kid...which he is. Perhaps a bit taller than I thought. Some sprint training or a couple of Pre Seasons could be all he needs.
Gardner.. Nice mark and reasonable good kick... but again..looked like he was just average across the grass. My guess he has never had to run as much as what this level requires. Still no string bean , and Id think he has something that could be worthwhile with time.
Bews.. Capable of doing something well then following it up with something that almost cancels it. Playing down back , Id like to think that defenders are stead and reliable. Is this Bews?
Parsons.. First game this year so one couldn't expect much if anything. Nice size but another who id wonder if they need to work on speed and body. Another Preseason for him will be much fairer to judge him. Did not see the kicking I was hoping to see.
Ruggles..unlike most he has thick body , has a reasonable kick and has touch with it. Vision with it not bad. Is he athletic enough for AFL?

Some of the VFL guys , like Tsitas , Barnes and Stewart did a couple of things.

I'll be interested to see them once VFL games start.... but in comparison to when I saw Kolo in the VFL , I did see anyone who I though would be a future AFL player. They all may be , all have a chance but have plenty to work on

Last edited:
I agree. He passed the tests and got back onto the field but it's more the manor in which the head knocks are occurring these days. He got KO'd in the practice games a few weeks ago and copped another heavy hit last week.
I just hope he does not have any long term issues as science is starting to dwell into this subject a lot more thoroughly and it's looking bleaker and bleaker for concussion victims with every passing year.
I guess we'll find out tomorrow. If they thought he was a chance to be pulled it'd be egg on the face if were to lose someone in the warm-up as well.

Justin Clarke serves as a reminder (Leigh Adams as well) of what concussions can do. I do hope it doesn't affect him severely post-football like can be seen in the NFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back