VFL Game Day VFL Preliminary Final: Williamstown vs Essendon, North Port Oval, Sunday 15/09/19, 2:10 PM

Who goes to the big dance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Observations

Williamstown: The seagulls had a great win in their qualifying final against Footscray, winning by 13 points in a game that was close all day before Willy just snuck away in the last quarter. Nick Ebinger made use of his seven touches, kicking 3 goals amongst them but the match winner was Liston Trophy favourite for tonight Mitch Hibberd who had 25 disposals and a goal

Essendon: The Dons had a tight 3 point win against Werribee, their first one in five weeks. It was a rather even contribution across the board with only David Myers getting 20+ touches, having it 21 times, whilst Josh Begley's last 10 minutes were crucial to setting up the win for the Dons, he and Jordan Ridley setting up the coast to coast goal that Tom Jok finished off.

Head to Head (last 5)

Williamstown 3-2 Essendon

Form Guide

Williamstown: 4W 1L
Essendon: 1W 4L

Sportsbet odds (available Friday)

Williamstown:
Essendon:
Line: ($1.90)

Possible sides

Williamstown vs Essendon

B: Martin Gleeson - Daniel Guccione - Matthew Dea

F: Sam Dunnell - Jaylon Thorpe - Joel Pickess
HB: Jordan Ridley - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Ben McNiece
HF: Nick Ebinger - Joel Ottavi - Ben Kennedy
C: Tom Jok - Trent Mynott - Brayden Ham
C: Liam Hunt - Mitchell Hibberd - Nick Mellington
HF: Jordan Houlahan - Josh Begley - Will Snelling
HB: Jack Dorgan - Billy Myers - Jake Greiser
F: Mark Baguley - Michael Hartley - Heath Hocking
B: Jack Charleston - Joel Tippett - Nick Sing
R: Riley Bowman - Dylan Clarke - David Myers
R: Nick Meese - Willie Wheeler - Adam Marcon

I: Aaron Heppell - Kurt Aylett - Jake Long - Josh Tynan
I: Sam Martyn - Leigh Masters - Brayden Monk - Mitch Norton
I: Nino Lazzaro - Bruno Laguda - Wilson Berry - Danny Younan
I: Jason Pongracic - Nick Rodda - Cooper Stephens - Oliver Tate
23P: Dylan Landt
23P: Tom Mundy

Williamstown defence vs Essendon forward line

Despite not having any tall targets of any quality for half the games Essendon still managed to be 2nd overall in terms of points scored this year behind Footscray. Williamstown have been the second defense in the league this year, this group has been together a while and added Nick Sing to the mix this year which has kept them fresh. Neither are particularly tall, watch Joel Tippett and Michael Hartley do battle as really the only talls up there whilst Sing, Jack Charleston and Jake Greiser will try to combat the three musketeers in Mark Baguley, Danny Younan and Heath Hocking. Josh Begley and Jordan Houlahan will also provide tall targets for the Bombers up front against the likes of Billy Myers and Jack Dorgan.

Midfield/rucks battle

Williamstown's biggest strength is that they're the best contested ball team in the league, with their midfield boasting the likes of Willie Wheeler, Adam Marcon, Mitch Hibberd, Nick Mellington and Leigh Masters, whilst the Dons will be looking to break even on the inside and get it out to the likes of Tom Jok, Brayden Ham and Will Snelling on the outside of the packs. Essendon's inside crew shouldn't be underestimated though, Dylan Clarke was putting up insane numbers before he got promoted to the AFL, David Myers was excellent on the inside and the VFL pairing of captain Aaron Heppell and Kurt Aylett should be considered one of the strongest in the VFL. Rucks wise, old vs new. Nick Meese is widely considered to be the Shane Mumford of the VFL whilst Riley Bowman is the shiny new toy Essendon got midway through the season who runs, jumps, and competes at ground level.

Williamstown forward line vs Essendon defence

Williamstown's forward line is statistically the third best in the league, and is one of the toughest ones to match up on as well, whilst Essendon have the fourth strongest defence in the league this year. Williamstown will try to expose Daniel Guccione, likely to take Nick Rodda, one out whilst Matthew Dea and Jordan Ridley probably take former Bendigo Bomber Sam Dunnell and Jaylon Thorpe respectively, however the match up to watch is Brandon Zerk-Thatcher on Joel Ottavi, the former VFL Don, who since moving has proven to be a potential draftee, Zerk-Thatcher having had his colours slightly lowered by young star of the VFL Jake Riccardi last week

Key stat

Williamstown: Defensive conversion. Every time Williamstown are able to restrict the opposition to less than 50 inside 50's they win

Essendon: Clearances. Willy are great in this area, it's a must break even if they're to win.

Tip

This one's tough. Last time Essendon met Willy in a Prelim, Willy won the flag. I suspect that will happen again, Williamstown by 12

Last edited:
A little surprised at the lack of discussion in here given the seniors are out. Usually even when the seniors are playing we have a few posts in here! Anyway, teams are out:

Them:

FB: Jack Charleston - Joel Tippett - Nick Sing
MF: Liam Hunt - Mitchell Hibberd - Brayden Monk
HF: Nick Ebinger - Jake Pongracic - Ben Kennedy
FF: Sam Dunnell - Jaylon Thorpe - Joel Pickess
OB: Nick Meese - Willie Wheeler - Adam Marcon

IC: Sam Martyn - Leigh Masters - Sam McLarty - Nick Mellington
IC: Mitchell Norton - Joel Ottavi - Nick Rodda - Oliver Tate
23P: Max Philpot

Us:

FB: Jordan Ridley - Daniel Guccione - Matthew Dea
HB: Tom Jok - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Ben McNiece
MF: Jake Long - Dylan Clarke - Will Snelling
HF: Josh Begley - Michael Hartley - Brayden Ham
FF: Mark Baguley - David Myers - Jordan Holahan
OB: Trent Mynott - Heath Hocking - Daniel Younan

IC: Kurt Aylett - Nick Dixon - Aaron Heppell - Bruno Laguda
IC: Dylan Landt - Liam McKenna - Edyn Sibbald - Josh Tynan
23P: Riley Bowman

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
A little surprised at the lack of discussion in here given the seniors are out. Usually even when the seniors are playing we have a few posts in here! Anyway, teams are out:

Them:

Us:

Gleeson injured still?

Is Younan dropped?

They should win that, I’d be disappointed if they lost.
Named on ball.

Williamstown are very good. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost.

Named on ball.

Williamstown are very good. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost.

Argh he is too, sorry I was looking at the wrong side. Thank you

Anyway, for us I see 3 spots between 5 players (Tynan, Laguda, Landt, McKenna and Aylett) and for them I see 4 spots between 5 players (Ottavi, Rodda, McLarty, Millington and Masters).

Tynan and Aylett should play, but Laguda and Landt were both good last week. Find out more when releases are published I guess

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

Them:

Us:

long story short; our top end is better than theirs but they bat deeper than us. Bowman & Hartley/Jok need to nullify the impact Nick Meese will have on the game also.

Our third preliminary final in five years; we fell agonisingly short in both 2015 and last year. Looks like the weather could turn dicey at some point, but nice and warm to start with at least.

I have this feeling we may just come up short again, but a great opportunity to get to the big dance!

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Our third preliminary final in five years; we fell agonisingly short in both 2015 and last year. Looks like the weather could turn dicey at some point, but nice and warm to start with at least.

I have this feeling we may just come up short again, but a great opportunity to get to the big dance!
I tend to disagree. We have the firepower t score, and score quickly. It will be about nuliffying the midfield of Willy that will decide this game. Our bookend (on paper) appear substantially stronger than Willy's. Would love another crack at Richmond in the final or even Port Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to disagree. We have the firepower t score, and score quickly. It will be about nuliffying the midfield of Willy that will decide this game. Our bookend (on paper) appear substantially stronger than Willy's. Would love another crack at Richmond in the final or even Port Melbourne.
Tippett, McLarty, Ottavi, Rodda, Meese vs Hartley, Begley, Gooch, BZT, Bowman? I take theirs

Go Dons!
Will try and tune in from Valencia circa 6am - anyone know if there's a stream for this?
Use 7plus and put in a victorian post code

My two cents of course but this feels like a superior side right now compared to the previous few that have made it this far.

Sounds like it could go either way, Go us!

Back