VFL Game Day VFL Qualifying Final: Richmond vs Essendon, Punt Road Oval, Saturday 31/08/19 @ 2:10 PM AEST

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
The worst VFL loss since another finals game (when we played as 'Bendigo') in the mid 2000s - possibly against Port Melbourne or North Ballarat? Can't remember the opponent. Matthew Knights as VFL coach then.

8 goals up at one stage... and lose by 6 goals. Nothing will top that.

I said when Richmond drew within 20 points in the final quarter... watch the quarter go just long enough for them to get a lucky winner and then the siren to go literally seconds (into play) afterwards. Should be a script writer.

A pathetic capitulation that will probably see us eliminated next week now. Won't recover from that.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Bags hard work all for nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ultimately not a bad result considering they had 9 more AFL listed players than us.
I suppose I'd think this too if I didn't know they were 40 points up with 30 minutes remaining, but to blow what most would see as an unassailable lead is definitely a bad result.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I suppose I'd think this too if I didn't know they were 40 points up with 30 minutes remaining, but to blow what most would see as an unassailable lead is definitely a bad result.

But it’s a big part of the reason we conceded it. Endurance and skill level under pressure are the primary differences between AFL and VFL players.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
What was with the 35 minute final quarter?

Probably the 8 goals that were kicked and the countless 6-6-6 warnings.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Anyways;

David Myers - Huge. 36 possessions, countless tackles, kept going and going and going.

Aaron Heppell - Another huge game from our skipper. 4 goals, 26 possessions. Did everything he could for the team.

Trent Mynott - 20 possessions but not a huge impact on the game.

Jake Long - Our barometer in the first half, Chased. Tackled. Harrased. Finished with 17 possessions but had 2 poor free kicks against.

Ben McNeice - Typical Ben Mac game. Did some ok things, did some poor things.

Matt Dea - One of our better performers on the day. Kept Cal Moore (virtually) goaless for the day.

Bruno Laguda - Thought he did some nice things early. Slowed down alot but finished with 16 possessions.

Michael Hartley - Started slowly, dominated the middle part of the game, then came to a halt including that free kick that gave Nankervis the shot on goal to win it.

Mark Baguley - Couple of goals for the veteran, did some nice things, went in hard went missing for some parts as did many.

Danny Younan - Another barometer for the Bombers. Kicked 3 but was largely unsighted for large periods. Simialr to Baggers.

Riley Bowman - Did a reasonable job against the tandem pairing of Chol and Nankervis.

Begley, Houlahan can gtfo. Did nothing today as forwards.

Back