VFL Game Day VFL Qualifying Final: Richmond vs Essendon, Punt Road Oval, Saturday 31/08/19 @ 2:10 PM AEST

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Against the best team in the competition on their home ground with the wind advantage...

Some people are sad and pathetic and want to blame someone else and not see what actually happened.

Richmond were too good in the last. Simple. No rigging by the umpires (not to the point of getting them 40 points back), no time extensions (there was a blood rule which would have extended the last by 60 seconds), just the simple fact that Richmond were too good in the end.

But it’s a big part of the reason we conceded it. Endurance and skill level under pressure are the primary differences between AFL and VFL players.
Sure. It still doesn't rationalise conceding an eight goal quarter.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Anyways;

David Myers - Huge. 36 possessions, countless tackles, kept going and going and going.

Aaron Heppell - Another huge game from our skipper. 4 goals, 26 possessions. Did everything he could for the team.

Trent Mynott - 20 possessions but not a huge impact on the game.

Jake Long - Our barometer in the first half, Chased. Tackled. Harrased. Finished with 17 possessions but had 2 poor free kicks against.

Ben McNeice - Typical Ben Mac game. Did some ok things, did some poor things.

Matt Dea - One of our better performers on the day. Kept Cal Moore (virtually) goaless for the day.

Bruno Laguda - Thought he did some nice things early. Slowed down alot but finished with 16 possessions.

Michael Hartley - Started slowly, dominated the middle part of the game, then came to a halt including that free kick that gave Nankervis the shot on goal to win it.

Mark Baguley - Couple of goals for the veteran, did some nice things, went in hard went missing for some parts as did many.

Danny Younan - Another barometer for the Bombers. Kicked 3 but was largely unsighted for large periods. Simialr to Baggers.

Riley Bowman - Did a reasonable job against the tandem pairing of Chol and Nankervis.

Begley, Houlahan can gtfo. Did nothing today as forwards.

yeah Harts played well but that last quarter, sheesh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
13 scoring shots to 1 in the final quarter.

I didn't see one minute of the game, and I really don't care what people say who were there or watched on the box, but that can't be put on the coaches or the umpires. That is squarely on the players.

Sure. It still doesn't rationalise conceding an eight goal quarter.
Actually it does. The AFL fitness levels are a lot higher than the VFL players who do not train even close to the level.

Actually it does. The AFL fitness levels are a lot higher than the VFL players who do not train even close to the level.
Oh sorry my bad, fair enough. I guess we can put that final quarter down to having too many VFL players out there. I guess all our AFL listed players all played fantastically that last quarter and it was the VFL guys who dropped off. Sweet. I'll leave the thread.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Some people are sad and pathetic and want to blame someone else and not see what actually happened.

Richmond were too good in the last. Simple. No rigging by the umpires (not to the point of getting them 40 points back), no time extensions (there was a blood rule which would have extended the last by 60 seconds), just the simple fact that Richmond were too good in the end.

I agree with the gist, but I’m getting sick of the umpires. Umpires don’t rig games, they get calls wrong to the benefit of one team. It’s not intentional but it’s continually happening and needs to stop. They didn’t pay about six dangerous tackles in the first half but choose to pay an over the shoulder free that didn’t hurt the player or stop him winning the hit out, okay why pay some technical free but let go things that could actually injure players. Incompetence.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
1DD2086A-CF79-454D-8699-659CE5357BA2.gif

Oh sorry my bad, fair enough. I guess we can put that final quarter down to having too many VFL players out there. I guess all our AFL listed players all played fantastically that last quarter and it was the VFL guys who dropped off. Sweet. I'll leave the thread.
Your welcome.
No need to leave the thread. It is a forum.
Of course if you have an issue with people commenting on what you post maybe you should leave. :)

Wearybomber

Debutant
Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Its just sad that you go into the last quarter 40 points in front and somehow you just know that is not going to be enough ..........very frustrating for everyone. That last free in front of goal after not calling obvious ones like when we didn't get one for worse on Hocking in the 3rd . .....
I'll never understand why they make a 50 50 call when the game is so close

Back