2nds VFL Rd3 North Ballarat Vs Geelong Bankers Friday 22nd April Eureka Oval 7:00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Murdoch doesn't have to push for selection though.
He's always been given an easy run in the senior team throughout most of his career. Only now, after almost 70 games played, does he start getting questioned by the coaching staff.

We have already seen the kind of example this has left as younger players have walked in the hope of finding opportunities elsewhere.

Murdoch, like a few others on the list, simply get a better run at it than most which makes this talk about competition for spots redundant.

Who?

Whatever you think of the approach up till this weekend, he clearly has to push for selection now. He's just been omitted from the senior side.

We have already seen the kind of example this has left as younger players have walked in the hope of finding opportunities elsewhere.

And just how many younger players have left and gone on to make a real go of it elsewhere thus far?

Murdoch, like a few others on the list, simply get a better run at it than most which makes this talk about competition for spots redundant.

Talk about competition for spots in the senior team will never be redundant. It's what every good footy club aspires to have. And this week's omissions make it even more relevant. You can't continue to bang on about Jordan's supposed dream run when it's clearly come to an end.

T.Hunt, Jansen and Walker all left because they couldn't get past Murdoch

Any of them seriously close to your best 22 at the Cats right now?

Murdoch might not be either but those boys are no more likely to be really capable AFL footballers than him, I would suggest.

Taylor is omitted from a struggling Tiges outfit again this week.

Josh is an honest and solid trier with the Lions but is benefitted in the selection process up there by the dearth of alternative KPF options at the moment.

And as for JJ, despite the Lions midfield injury woes, he seems further from a senior game than ever.

Billie's kicking is poor Cosmic Energy.
It's one of the worst in the competition. You can see by that photo just how poor his technique is. His hand leaves the ball far too soon and this means he is often hit and miss once he gets boot to ball. He doesn't have many other good traits he can fall back on either. He has excellent athleticism in terms of jumping & speed but not much else. If he had awareness and footy smarts like Enright had when he first came into the league, that would be something to get by for the meantime.
I wouldn't go that far on his kicking, he does have the high-ish ball drop but there's lots of techniques that don't look flash but are effective. And the opposite is true, guys who look good but don't use the ball effectively. He had some marish games in the back half, where he kicked poorly but perhaps more as a consequence of making poor decisions (kicking sideways off one step etc.), and then the drop in confidence. Jimmy Bartel is seemingly not the best decision maker or ball user deep in defensive 50, nor Mitch Duncan, but they are otherwise excellent ball users typically.

Again a while back I had a bit of a look at his 2013 games and he kicked left & right foot snap goals, set shots from 50, setup some goals, looked really good. It's hard to know what impact being moved to defence and the injuries, lack of confidence etc. have had on his output since 2013.

Anyway I just want him to get that crack again :)

Last edited:
However poor you think Murda is a footballer, this is an even poorer post.

One of the key means by which our club will improve is if we have stacks of players pushing for senior selection every week.

On that basis alone, it makes sense to wish all of our players (yes, even Murdoch) every success so that the collective good of the GFC is promoted.

Dismissiveness bordering on abuse of our own players is seriously ordinary and clearly at odds with the competitive philosophy that would see the club planning for every player to produce their best week after week.

No team is ever improved by having less intense competition for spots.

I admire your optimism about our list but I also find it tragically bias. I think more posters have got to steer away from the notion that our club spits rainbows and become far more critical.

I always wish all our players the best in their careers but when players like Murdoch continually put in mediocre performances its only natural for supporters to become frustrated. Admittedly i don't blame Murdoch for this completely, Chris Scott and his MC should be held accountable for this abuse of selection.

In regard for competition for spots, its been clear for 3 seasons Murdoch's spot until now isn't competitive. He's barely had to put his hand up and earn a selection and is clearly a coaches favourite, Bews and GHS have more than proved themselves to warrant selection. Our list isn't going to benefit with this 'pea heart' on it and i'll be supporting his delisting at the end of the year regardless of what some posters believe.

Watching Stringer, Bruest, Gunston, Dickson (WB) , Cripps (WC) . the medium size non leading forward is coming to the fore. We are hoping Menzel and Kersten are up to it. Smedts needs another crack at it up forward before he is passed over all together. I hope they start with this positioning in the VFL.
Having quality medium forwards who are both good on the ground but also can take marks is key to winning flags. Chapman and Johnson were key to our dominance in 2007-2011 and without them we would of been no where near as good a side.

So from that photo alone, we've decided Billy Smedts is anorexic and can't kick based off that pic. Think you guys may be looking into it too much.
Can we get three months out that photo like we got out of the Motlop 'Fatgate' saga ?

Hey Steve,get Billie on the turtles :p

I admire your optimism about our list but I also find it tragically bias. I think more posters have got to steer away from the notion that our club spits rainbows and become far more critical.

Yet again the simplistic reductionism that anyone who disagrees with your view is a club apologist. Not once did I say anything like what you assert here.

I always wish all our players the best in their careers but when players like Murdoch continually put in mediocre performances its only natural for supporters to become frustrated. Admittedly i don't blame Murdoch for this completely, Chris Scott and his MC should be held accountable for this abuse of selection.

In regard for competition for spots, its been clear for 3 seasons Murdoch's spot until now isn't competitive. He's barely had to put his hand up and earn a selection and is clearly a coaches favourite, Bews and GHS have more than proved themselves to warrant selection. Our list isn't going to benefit with this 'pea heart' on it and i'll be supporting his delisting at the end of the year regardless of what some posters believe.

So after you:

(1) sarcastically mock Murda's apparent lack of influence in the twos;
(2) term him 'a biscuit' (and now 'a pea heart');
(3) express your keen desire that he never plays seniors again;
(4) outline your support for his delisting at the end of the year,

you still try to express the magnanimous view that you wish him all the best?

It's abundantly clear what you really 'wish' for Murdoch. And no blithe recitation of some vain platitude that you 'always wish all our players all the best' can conceal that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T.Hunt, Jansen and Walker all left because they couldn't get past Murdoch
Taylor Hunt and Jansen, yes - though I think Hunt was delisted. Walker however played a completely different role and walked when it became obvious we were getting Henderson and preferred Vardy.

I don't think that Hunt or Jansen were big losses. Hunt has just been dropped from Richmond's side again, at the age of 25, while Jansen hasn't debuted yet with the Lions' anaemic midfield.

Yet again the simplistic reductionism that anyone who disagrees with your view is a club apologist. Not once did I say anything like what you assert here.

So after you:

It's abundantly clear what you really 'wish' for Murdoch. And no blithe recitation of some vain platitude that you 'always wish all our players all the best' can conceal that.

So after you:

You're right to disagree with me mate, since you disagreed with me in the first place I'm more than entitled to express my opinion once more. Dont be offended.

As a supporter I can say whatever I want, im not stooping to a level of politcal correctness that binds me to limited assertion. He's chosen to pursue a career in footy which makes him susceptible to all kinds of criticism.

I think youve misinterpreted what ive said or I've worded it poorly, I had 'wished' him the best - no longer. From here on out I can't see any determining facets that we benefit from having him on the list. Nor shall I sit in idle with my hands between my knees while he does.

I wouldn't go that far on his kicking, he does have the high-ish ball drop but there's lots of techniques that don't look flash but are effective. And the opposite is true, guys who look good but don't use the ball effectively. He had some marish games in the back half, where he kicked poorly but perhaps more as a consequence of making poor decisions (kicking sideways off one step etc.), and then the drop in confidence. Jimmy Bartel is seemingly not the best decision maker or ball user deep in defensive 50, nor Mitch Duncan, but they are otherwise excellent ball users typically.

Again a while back I had a bit of a look at his 2013 games and he kicked left & right foot snap goals, set shots from 50, setup some goals, looked really good. It's hard to know what impact being moved to defence and the injuries, lack of confidence etc. have had on his output since 2013.

Anyway I just want him to get that crack again :)

Moving him to defence was left-field. Keeping him there has been absurd.

As a supporter I can say whatever I want, im not stooping to a level of politcal correctness that binds me to limited assertion. He's chosen to pursue a career in footy which makes him susceptible to all kinds of criticism.

Sure. It's the point at which such supposed 'criticism' degenerates into petty name-calling and bitter bloodymindedness concerning a player that I think all reasonable claims to objectivity have been lost.

I think youve misinterpreted what ive said or I've worded it poorly, I had 'wished' him the best - no longer. From here on out I can't see any determining facets that we benefit from having him on the list. Nor shall I sit in idle with my hands between my knees while he does.

Kudos to you for at least acknowledging that whatever kind wishes you deigned to bestow on Jordan in the past, you are now keen to see his footy career go up in smoke as soon as possible.

How you sqaure that with having the best interests of the club at heart (when it's abundantly clear that a 'win' for the club with respect to Murdoch would be better and better performances from him) is your own business.

By the way, I'm far from offended. Simply bemused.

He's always been given an easy run in the senior team throughout most of his career. Only now, after almost 70 games played, does he start getting questioned by the coaching staff.

I think Murdoch like a few player that has foot speed to bring and got a leg up over a few others.. Im not sure who's spot that he took that has walked because they couldn't get a game. Hamling ?

The "only now" thing is fair because he has now reached a spot , a second tier if you like , just like a few other players that he should now be a more solid reliable player , right age and number of games/experience to step up and burden more shoulder weight like Guthrie and Caddy. Imo , its not unusual to be lenient on young players especially when trying to build a base , and climb up from that first tier.

I feel that they have decided that that second tier is where Kersten should be and they are willing to give him the chance , with less immediate pressure to hold his place , to show if he is up to it..or not. Perhaps they look at Hamling and Brown now capable , that they did most of the hard work but just didn't persist. Murdoch is one they have persisted with , he can not say he hasn't had a fair shake. Kersten getting his shot now..and in the end its all any player can ask.. to have a legit chance. A good solid bank of games to acclimatise and put their best foot forward..If they are still not appreciated after that then its best for all that they move on.

So if GHS, who is named in the VFL bests and leads the stats sheet every week, is nothing more than a "good VFL player", what does that make Murdoch, who can't even make an impression at that level? That a 60-game, automatically selected AFL player over the last few years can't impose himself on a VFL game is a worry.

Nor shall I sit in idle with my hands between my knees while he does.

Not sure what this quote is entirely meant to mean - You're going to get off your arse and get down to the club and help him improve? Or continue to launch personal attacks from the safety of your keyboard?

3 completely different types of player who play 3 completely different roles in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back