Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Morris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soldo

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

Fantastic day down at Williamstown despite the result. Weather was perfect and it was a really good atmosphere. Set up camp next to the bench pretty much standing right behind Macrae which gives a great insight into things that go on which sometimes has you asking why did they do that. As I mentioned this morning this was probably the weakest team we had fielded this year. Miles Chol Soldo & Morris missing meant it would be a tough ask and losing Markov a minute in didn't help either.

CCJ in the ruck was good to see, body work very good with a good leap and deft touch to put the ball to advantage. Obviously needs to improve his tank to cover the ground better, found himself out of position on a few occasions as a result, but for a first year kid playing ruck for the first time at senior level it was a great platform to build off.

With Miles missing and Lloyd quiet it was good to see Ellis step up and fill the void as best he could. Wasn't a dominant performance by any means but he kept on trying until the final siren. I seen some criticism of his opponent getting the clearance at the end to kick the winning goal, that happens when the instruction to the team is to roll the dice to try and win the game. At that stoppage everyone ran our way which was always going to give them an easy out if they got the clearance. As Macrae said if you're going to lose better to go down trying to win, than trying not to lose.

If Astbury was to miss next week Garthwaite should get the spot. Kid plays so maturely down back, basically plays the Rance role where he sets himself up as the last man in the zone and will cover off any ball coming in. When he did come to the bench for a break late in the game it was great listening to him discuss with Macrae about match ups and who needed to go where to try and get things the way they wanted.

Balta is an interesting one, at times when he plays on instinct he makes you go wow. At other times he gets carried away or loses focus and frustrates Macrae and his teammates. The Franklin like run down the wing and shot on goal was one of those wow moments, made better by Macrae initially screaming at him to hold up because we had nobody forward, but as he streaked away from his opponent Macrae turned supporter and was yelling as loudly as anyone for him to keep going. However early on in the game Macrae dragged him because of a really poor effort that saw Williamstown turn a kick in, into an easy goal because he lazy manning the mark.

Stengle Rioli and Bolton were an interesting trio today. They had their moments where they got involved and set play up but then they had long patches where they didn't really impact. If it was me I wouldn't be picking any of them for the Geelong game based on their overall impact today. However I expect that Rioli will be brought in if his foot pulls up well.

My bests today:
CCJ Ellis Garthwaite Townsend Naish

One final thing, when Williamstown started to get physical in the early part of second half, a lot of our younger players got sucked in, in regards to flying the flag rather than just going the footy, which to me was the turning point in the game. Credit to them for exposing a younger Richmond side by putting them under that sort of pressure and I know that it was picked up on the bench and that it will be discussed with the group at training during the week.

Last edited:

Well deserved win mate. Out coached by the shrewd silver fox in Collins. Apparently according to an old fan , he said he dropped their Dinosaur ruckman and a couple of slower nuts for some pace after their last two losses. Midfield slaughtered us and the scoreboard flattered us.
Some of your boys showed us up and apparently Marcon went off at HT , so if true it was a massive win.

Ellis 24 disposals (13 kicks 11 handballs) 4 marks 4 tackles 2 I50s 4 R50s 1.1
CCJ 15 disposals (6 kicks 9 handballs) 3 marks 3 tackles 1 I50 35 hitouts
Lloyd 15 disposals (10 kicks 5 handballs) 1 mark 7 tackles 4 I50s 1 R50
Rioli 15 disposals (4 kicks 11 handballs) 1 mark 1 tackle 2.1 3 hitouts 3 I50s 2 R50s
Naish 15 disposals (10 kicks 5 handballs) 1 mark 2 tackles 1 I50 5 R50s
Townsend 14 disposals (9 kicks 5 handballs) 4 marks 13 tackles 2 I50s 1 hitout 2.0
Bolton 14 disposals (9 kicks 5 handballs) 3 marks 5 tackles 3 I50s 1 R50 1 hitout 2.2
Balta 12 disposals (9 kicks 3 handballs) 4 marks 5 tackles 3 I50s 1 R50 13 hitouts 0.1
Stengle 10 disposals (9 kicks 1 handball) 5 marks 5 tackles 3 I50s 1.2
Drummond 10 disposals (6 kicks 4 handballs) 4 marks 2 I50 2 R50
Baker 8 dispoals (4 kicks 4 handballs) 2 marks 1 tackle 2 I50 1 R50
Miller 8 disposals (2 kicks 6 handballs) 1 mark 1 R50 1 hitout
Garthwaite 6 disposals (4 kicks 2 handballs) 2 marks 1 tackle 2 R50
Markov 1 tackle

Team Stats
Disposals: 362-272
Kicks: 199-156
Handballs: 163-116
Freekicks: 30-13
Marks: 72-52
Hitouts: 36-59
Inside 50s: 52-51
Tackles: 63-81
Rebound 50s: 39-40

Well deserved win mate. Out coached by the shrewd silver fox in Collins. Apparently according to an old fan , he said he dropped their Dinosaur ruckman and a couple of slower nuts for some pace after their last two losses. Midfield slaughtered us and the scoreboard flattered us.
Some of your boys showed us up and apparently Marcon went off at HT , so if true it was a massive win.

Dinosaur Ruckman happens to have been in the VFL Team of the Year every year since the Jurassic Period!! He got suspended so missed this game. Marcon did go off injured. Good win by a stand alone club.

Dinosaur Ruckman happens to have been in the VFL Team of the Year every year since the Jurassic Period!! He got suspended so missed this game. Marcon did go off injured. Good win by a stand alone club.
As I said I just got facts from an old Willy fan on the train. Whatever the case you bounced back from two bad losses and out performed us on the day with pace added.
So Collins did his homework on us and topped up the midfield. Brilliant win and full credit as theyre the best standalone team I’ve seen this year.

Last edited:
Lol anyone who thinks Cellis should play seniors check out that last play.... Piss weak shitful player
WTF. I don't get that at all. He gave as good as he could today. Played a solid game. He's not a great player, he is not knocking on AFL door, but why make cheap attacks. Same to you TI. It was as tough a game as you will see at VFL level, and he was at the coal face all day.

No worries and likewise mate. It was a very special occasion which can never be taken away from us and hopefully will be repeated. You’re like a good luck charm to us as we’ve never seen Richmond lose when we’ve been together. Best days at the football since my childhood were last year with our families and wouldn’t change it one bit if I was allowed to.
Get a room .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was Millers and Bakers games ?.
Both pretty poor, especially Miller.
Our Ruckman, CHF and Full Back were all playing U18's this time last year. You can't expect to much but they have all performed well over the season, so they will have their good and bad days. Very physical game today.

WTF. I don't get that at all. He gave as good as he could today. Played a solid game. He's not a great player, he is not knocking on AFL door, but why make cheap attacks. Same to you TI. It was as tough a game as you will see at VFL level, and he was at the coal face all day.

Definitely some frustration when posting that but unfortunately I stand by my comments, he's a really disappointing player. Doesn't have any weapons at his disposal, it wasnt like he was up against any afl listed players and he really just played at the level (barely).

Tell me I'm wrong I'm happy to be enlightened and look for things that I'm not picking up.... To me he looks a massive bust, if you've read yellow and black, it's mentioned that the coaches thought that he's too "timid" and that hasn't changed a year later.

Only blokes that could possibly get a game
next week are Townsend and Rioli if he’s 100%. Midfielders were of pop gun vintage with no hurt , run or carry. Their link work was non existent and bc they were below speed they were reduced to stop start stop tactics.
Whereas Willy just continued to roll and roll and carry in numbers.
The mf failing threw a lot of pressure on our inexperienced BL especially 74. Hayward who was a liability.
CEllis had the responsibility of being the chief MF and was slaughtered at the stoppages, especially in the second half.
He did most of his work from the half back arc/ wing providing little i50 thrusts to our forwards.
Will remain firm that he’s an inside receiver and not a hunter and was lost without Miles feeding him. Hence his tackle count was down today bc he was trying to play Miles role without the smarts or ability. No way does he get near our senior side bc he’s slow and unaccountable when in tight. Needs space and won’t be gifted it . He should have been told to roll forward today a lot more as he looked dangerous there alongside Rioli Bolton and Stengle bc they could of dished off to him more often. Instead he was wandering defensive of centre or wing getting useless possessions with no impact. Unfortunately he wasn’t alone as the MF was badly beaten and Lloyd was in the same boat and struggled to win a hard ball.
Balta oozed class , but doesn’t warrant a spot no matter what the hype is as he’s still got a lot to learn. In knowing his space around him , when to defend or go and manning up on kick outs. His athleticism is unique which poses the question why do we need Lynch? He’s a massive prospect. CCJ appeared to have tired after ht, but is still kicking along nicely for his age.
Miller was down on the day with Baker , but their mature bodies and hardness was too much for our young ones. Was always going to be a tough day with Morris out in the BL steering the ship and Rodda was just too powerful for us. We were pretty lucky as his kicking with a few others let us of the hook and the scoreboard at 3/4 time was flattering for us. Drummond I believe can still make it as he’s got some pace and class about him with a good brain. His match fitness is building so I hope he can get a good run to prove us that he deserves another year.
Bolton was busy and dangerous all day , but with our rushed and poor entries he could have been even better. The Tall forwards had to work just as hard bc of this and really struggled to get involved.
Welcome back Townsend today as he kept us in the game by constantly stopping their run out with immense tackling and pressure. He will walk into the side next week as he can even pinch hit in the guts.
Overall Fly had a limited side today , but probably could have thrown a Stengle in the mix or even a Rioli ( but was limited here due to the scare). We were outclassed after HT and the margin didn’t reflect their dominance, umpiring or not they simply wanted it more .
Garthwaite was good again despite their forward pressure, but I wouldn’t play him as he’s learning a game similar to Rance’s atm and shouldn’t be disrupted in it unless seriously needed. He played on a good opponent today and went with him, but will get better in the ones. I can see why the club is not rotating the big boys as much is bc they want to educate them on specific roles and long term is more important for their careers in the seniors.
Short term Winning is not as important as long term Winning in both competitions. Operation finding midfielders is the importance at seasons end as the cupboard was empty today.

Back