VFL Game Day VFL Round 12: Port Melbourne vs Essendon, North Port Oval, Sunday 23/06/19, 2:10 PM (Ch7 game)

Second plays third in what shapes up as a crucial game in the context of both teams in the VFL season. Port Melbourne's form has been stellar, winning 7 of their last 8 along with a draw against Williamstown in their latest game, whilst the Bombers have won 3 of their last four, the only loss coming to ladder leaders Richmond. Port Melbourne boast a strong record against Essendon, the Bombers only beating the Borough once since becoming a standalone side. The game will be an iteresting one, Essendon have the best defence in the league whilst Port Melbourne have the second best attack in the league.

Port Melbourne played out another epic against arch rival Williamstown, the two sides finishing level at 10.14.74 apiece, the two stand alone sides showing their quality yet again. Port's midfield was led by Shannon Lange, having 33 disposals, 12 tackles and a goal and former Don Ben Jolley with 26 disposals, whilst Isaac Conway and Ethan Phillips were potent up forward with two goals apiece.

Essendon were also up against an arch rival's VFL affiliate in Box Hille, coming away with a 10 point win. The Dons didn't lose a single quarter (3 wins and a draw), the last quarter was crucial with only 2 goals to 1 in it. The midfield was dominated by David Myers, having 30 disposals, 5 marks and a goal, whilst half backs Matthew Dea and Martin Gleeson had 22 and 21 disposals respectively, whilst inside forward 50 Jordan Houlahan, Nino Lazzaro and Mitch Brown kicked 2 goals apiece.

Possible side:

Martin Gleeson - Michael Hartley - Matthew Dea
Jordan Ridley - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Ben McNiece
Tom Jok - Trent Mynott - Kobe Mutch
Jordan Houlahan - Noah Gown - Brayden Ham
Irving Mosquito - James Stewart* - Mark Baguley
Zachary Clarke - David Myers - Will Snelling

Aaron Heppell - Heath Hocking - Liam McKenna - Nino Lazzaro
Danny Younan - Daniel Guccione - Wilson Berry - Daniel Hanna
23P: Riley Bowman

In: James Stewart*, Tom Jok, Kobe Mutch, Mark Baguley, Zachary Clarke, Wilson Berry, Daniel Hanna
Out: Mitchell Brown, Jake Long

*Probably has another week off with the 1-2 week groin injury.

60sbomber

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely the simplest solution to the need to play Francis, Baguley and Clarke and also avoid having them unable to play 4 days later against GWS is to play them for 3 quarters on Sunday

Surely the simplest solution to the need to play Francis, Baguley and Clarke and also avoid having them unable to play 4 days later against GWS is to play them for 3 quarters on Sunday
Nope. Just play them. Have Gleeson and a couple of others rest

Side:

Matt Dea - Michael Hartley - Ben McNiece
Martin Gleeson - Aaron Francis - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
Jake Long - Brayden Ham - David Myers
Irving Mosquito - Jordan Ridley - Will Snelling
Mark Baguley - Noah Gown - Jordan Houlahan
[No Ruck Listed] - Trent Mynott - Heath Hocking

Wilson Berry - Jacob Brown - Aaron Heppell - Dylan Landt - Nino Lazzaro
Liam McKenna - Kobe Mutch - Liam Read - Danny Younan
23P: Riley Bowman

I think we didn't list a ruck because Bowman will start in the ruck. Expecting that 7 of the 9 bench players to play, suspect that someone like Snelling and Gleeson to be rested. They don't have a very tall forward line other than Lisle so I also wouldn't be surprised if Francis moved forward for this game.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Is enjoyable watching the might of Port Melbourne. Have provided plenty of decent VFL players across my time watchiing VFL football and this season is proving no different. In fact this would have to be one of the better Port Melbourne sides they have produced (attracted as I should say).

Looking forward to seeing young Port Melbourne players Michael Wenn (202cm ruck), 190cm medium sized former Brisbane Academy player Campbell Walker and the always affable Ben Jolley along with Tom O'Sullivan.

We've got the firepower to match, probably more so than the Borough, we just need some big games from our smalls.

Also, worth noting, Snelling (iirc) said he was more of a small midfielder than a small forward, hope he isn't pigeon holed into this role as it never eventuated into anything of note in his time at Port Adelaide.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Today's game is broadcast yea? Can't find it on the 7Plus channel.

I don't think it's being broadcast. Not sure why the VFL site have it listed as so.

I don't think it's being broadcast. Not sure why the VFL site have it listed as so.

Actually its all good I'm just dumb as dog s**t. I thought it was already past 2pm. :drunk:

At least I've got time to finish some housework.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Actually its all good I'm just dumb as dog ****. I thought it was already past 2pm. :drunk:

At least I've got time to finish some housework.

No, no, all good! But I can't see anything in a TV guide that suggests this game is even being broadcast? Or am I completely looking in the wrong place?

Edit - It's on 7 Prime (whatever that is!)

No, no, all good! But I can't see anything in a TV guide that suggests this game is even being broadcast? Or am I completely looking in the wrong place?

Edit - It's on 7 Prime (whatever that is!)

7 Prime is regional broadcasting, the home of Prime Possum! Looking at the Melbourne TV guide it's on the main 7 channel.

Back