VFL Game Day VFL Round 12: Port Melbourne vs Essendon, North Port Oval, Sunday 23/06/19, 2:10 PM (Ch7 game)

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
How they could possibly put him in before Gleeson, well best I not go there.

Before anyone talks about forwards and defenders...if we need a forward, that's Zaharakis.

If we can play a guy who has never defended in life in defence we can also choose to play him forward (which is a position he has played particularly well in the past).

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Before anyone talks about forwards and defenders...if we need a forward, that's Zaharakis.

If we can play a guy who has never defended in life in defence we can also choose to play him forward (which is a position he has played particularly well in the past).

Baguley is the closest thing to a deffensive small forward we have should one of Tippa or Raz no get up. Smart planning when you think about how little football Fantasia has played.

And before we suggest Mosquito, doubt we bring him in against one of the better sides in the comp for a debut.

Baguley is the closest thing to a deffensive small forward we have should one of Tippa or Raz no get up. Smart planning when you think about how little football Fantasia has played.

And before we suggest Mosquito, doubt we bring him in against one of the better sides in the comp for a debut.
Francis was applying more pressure. Snelling was playing as a sort of half forward, I'd sooner have him. Ham has showed he can play that role.

Generally agree with your reviews eth-dog but that was one of the poorer performances I have seen Ben McNeice produce at this level. Disposal was poor whilst the 100m penalty was the icing on the cake to be honest.
I didn't really notice too many poor disposals honestly, and he shut his man down in Pearson so eh. The 100m was bullshit.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

There are three players on the list who can't do what Baguley does as a defensive small forward.

Neither Hooker nor Bellchambers could cover the ground. Zac Clarke, well...

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
There are three players on the list who can't do what Baguley does as a defensive small forward.

Neither Hooker nor Bellchambers could cover the ground. Zac Clarke, well...

And this is the problem of our football club. Replace like for like players in our structure not what we think should work.

Baguley was rested for a reason, accept it

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
And this is the problem of our football club. Replace like for like players in our structure not what we think should work.

Baguley was rested for a reason, accept it

No, it has nothing to do with the club.

I'm saying that Baguley is now so far off the pace that his once theoretical ability to apply pressure is gone. I should say that I operate on the assumption that at some point the intention of selecting a player to apply pressure is to inhibit opposition ball movement (I.e. he ends up applying actual pressure as opposed to being selected to play a role or to have the intention to apply pressure without actually influencing the play).

I'd say the bigger problem, based on what the club is doing, as opposed to commentary about what the club is doing, is clinging to the use of ineffective senior players at the expense of developing players who are clearly ready.

Hell it's not really even about player development. It helps us win games to have 22 player as opposed to the 21 we play when Baguley lines up.

How many more examples of Begley and Laverde playing at 70% being more effective do we need before getting to the end of the year, delisting Baguley and then, at least some of us, asking what the point of having him on the list was.

Heaven forbid we give the sub 3 second 20m Snelling an opportunity to show that he could perform the role on 1 leg (which he could). Or even Mosquito who unfit and unable to run out games would still apply more pressure than Baguley. Jake Long started his time at EFC getting 10 tackles a game as a small forward.

Instead we go back to the well with the one player we know cant play. Only in professional sport do you get this rubbish.

Its Green all over again.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
It's utterly bizarre.

Baguley could hardly keep up yesterday.

I wouldnt described him as cooked, he's jerked or now completely dehydrated.

At various times there were 2 or 3 of the senior list on the bench resting.

Shame for Zerk-Thatcher to go down. Hoping it really just a corkie to the gluteus maximus, but, showed more signs of development before that.

You can see why the club got Snelling. Impressive.

a8BQGoN.png

LktSNNf.png

Back