VFL Round 14 • Geelong v Richmond - 12pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been pretty supportive of RCD for a while, and will continue to be. But this point feeds into the biggest issue he has, I noticed the very first VFL practice game he played at PRO v Collingwood in his very first year; and whilst it has improved in some facets, it’s clear it’s not at the level it needs to be to be a top flight AFL mid.

That is just general footy nouse. I think RCD is quick of the mark, but he just doesn’t have that natural understanding that guys like Cotchin have that means he knows where he needs to be the half second before anyone else. Cotch isn’t quick of the mark (imo) but he has always had that ability to read the play before anyone and it makes him look quick. RCD is the exact opposite.

He has improved somewhat from that first game I saw him at, particularly in terms of engaging his opponent in the right manner at the right time, and releasing at the right time. But that’s not enough (other thing is getting hands free just before he is getting tackled but hand passes behind his head blindly into the corridor) to be that high profile inside mid that will ultimately take Cotch’ role.

Don’t get me wrong, I still think there’s a future for RCD; as 191cm big bodied mids can help in the stoppage by just there presence (as an example see Connor Nash at Hawthorn), but it will be to play a role only. It won’t be as a high percentage consistent inside mid at AFL level unfortunately.
yep, it's a mental thing with him, has been since day one.

Connor Nash example is a really good one actually, hadn't thought about that.

I guess the issue there is that the Hawks aren't exactly trying to finish top 4

Steve Morris’s VFL report

Jake Aarts (23 disposals, six marks, six clearances, two goals)

"Hard, tough, uncompromising game from him. He led us for contested possessions, took his opportunities in front of goal, and was really desperate when it counted. Fantastic effort from him."

Tyler Sonsie (22 disposals, six marks, three clearances)

"Tyler was solid. We'd like him to engage slightly more at stoppage, as he is at his best when he's in the contest and winning contested ball. But it was a decent game from him."

Sam Banks (20 disposals, five inside-50s, four marks)

"I thought it was a fantastic opportunity for Sam to get some midfield minutes. We saw that in the first half he was able to break lines and run and carry from inside, as well as what we've seen on the outside from him. He certainly was a contributor in the second half on the wing."

Riley Collier-Dawkins (19 disposals, five tackles, four clearances)

"Felt like it was an 'almost' game from Riley. He could have been cleaner with the footy and around stoppage, albeit on a tough day. He's close to breaking a game apart but we really want to see that from him in the coming weeks."

Bailey Henderson (18 disposals, five marks, three tackles)

"I thought Bailey was fantastic throughout the day. He worked up and down the wings and across half-back, and I thought his work-rate was fantastic. He was unrewarded a lot of time, but I thought he also used the footy really well and was quite clean."

Rhyan Mansell (17 disposals, seven marks, five tackles)

"Stood up when it really counted. He had half a dozen crucial contests in the last quarter to thwart the opposition. He stood under high balls, he won contested balls at ground level, and I thought it was a fantastic game from him."

Will Martyn (17 disposals, five rebound-50s, four marks)

"Will was solid on the day. He's been in great form over the last couple of months and he was a solid contributor in a back six that really stood up on the day. He reduced the Cats' impact despite them having quite a lot of inside-50s."

Sydney Stack (16 disposals, six inside-50s, eight tackles, four marks, one goal)

"His game impact was quite high. We always feel as though Sydney plays his best footy when he's really engaged defensively, and eight tackles certainly highlights that fact. A great game from him."

Noah Cumberland (15 disposals, three marks, four goals)

"He's a really difficult match-up Noah, and he kicked the footy as well as I've seen him kick it all year. He took his opportunities, won contests in front of the footy, and he's in great form. He stood up when it really counted in the last quarter."

Ben Miller (14 disposals, 10 rebound-50s, three marks)

"Ben, like most of our backline, was quite solid without standing out on the day. He made sure Geelong's key forwards didn't have a huge impact on the game."

Joel Nathan (14 disposals, six marks, four rebound-50s)

"Came in for his first game of the year and acquitted himself really well. He took a big contested mark at a crucial time in the game in the last quarter and his desperation can never be questioned."

Jason Castagna (13 disposals, nine tackles, four inside-50s, three goals)

"I thought he was fantastic. He importantly took his opportunities in front of goal, but when we needed hard, tough footy in the last quarter he stepped in with a team-high nine tackles, and played his role really well."
Thomson Dow (13 disposals, six tackles, five marks)

"He had a solid game. There were some really pleasing aspects of his work-rate at times to outnumber and help out our backs, but I thought our mids got outworked at other times. So, the challenge for him is to improve that consistency moving forward."

Lachlan Street (11 disposals, three marks, one goal)

"He was 'Mr Fix-it'. He played down back as a key, in the ruck, and up forward as a key as well. Wherever he played, he was really reliable. He had a couple of fantastic reads in the last quarter which allowed us to propel the ball back into attack."

Tom Brown (10 disposals, four marks, three rebound-50s)

"It's fantastic to see Tom start to take the game on. And anyone that watches him play would notice how clean he is. The challenge for him is to become more and more involved each week in our offence, and I think his aerial prowess is something that will continue to grow."

Samson Ryan (10 disposals, 34 hit-outs five tackles, four clearances)

"A really solid game from Samson. He had seven free kicks for and zero against, which was pleasing as it's something our rucks have been working on. To have 34 hit-outs and 11 contested possessions is pretty critical for a young ruckman, and he took a couple of good marks in behind the football."

Thomson Dow (13 disposals, six tackles, five marks)

"He had a solid game. There were some really pleasing aspects of his work-rate at times to outnumber and help out our backs, but I thought our mids got outworked at other times. So, the challenge for him is to improve that consistency moving forward."

Lachlan Street (11 disposals, three marks, one goal)

"He was 'Mr Fix-it'. He played down back as a key, in the ruck, and up forward as a key as well. Wherever he played, he was really reliable. He had a couple of fantastic reads in the last quarter which allowed us to propel the ball back into attack."

Tom Brown (10 disposals, four marks, three rebound-50s)

"It's fantastic to see Tom start to take the game on. And anyone that watches him play would notice how clean he is. The challenge for him is to become more and more involved each week in our offence, and I think his aerial prowess is something that will continue to grow."

Samson Ryan (10 disposals, 34 hit-outs five tackles, four clearances)

"A really solid game from Samson. He had seven free kicks for and zero against, which was pleasing as it's something our rucks have been working on. To have 34 hit-outs and 11 contested possessions is pretty critical for a young ruckman, and he took a couple of good marks in behind the football."

Matt Parker (10 disposals, four tackles, one goal)

"Like a couple of our other wings, his work-rate was outstanding and at times wasn't rewarded. Time and time again, he was down in our back half helping out and getting forward as well. He was rewarded on the scoreboard in the last quarter."

Misilifi Faimalo (10 disposals, three marks, two rebound-50s)

"For those who saw the last quarter, would know he stood out with his clean hands at ground level and great composure with the football in hand. It was pretty cool to see him have such an impact down back in the second half after spending time up forward in the first half."

Jacob Bauer (eight disposals, four inside-50s, one goal)

"Eight possessions and one goal certainly does not reflect his impact on the game. He was one of the standout key forwards on the ground. Whether he was 2v1 or 3v1, he continuously fought to bring the ball to ground. He played a really smart game and was crucial in keeping the ball in our forward half."

Bigoa Nyuon (seven disposals, five marks, one goal)

"We talk about taking our moments fairly often, and he certainly did that before three-quarter time. He was pretty sore after a big collision down back and he swung forward and was able to hit the scoreboard up there."

Mate Colina (five disposals, one goal)

"The goal of the day came from the big 213cm ruckman. It was fantastic to see him finish off that way and see his teammates really celebrate his first goal at VFL level for the club. He's an exciting player who continues to improve and is a much-loved Tiger."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back