VFL Game Day VFL Round 14: Coburg vs Essendon, Coburg City Oval, Sunday 07/07/19, 12:30 PM

scythe

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Auburn, Newcastle United, Charlotte
Burgers clawed a couple back there, mostly off frees. 72–31 at the last break.

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
Snelling has a had a hit out

Your replacement for Zac Clarke ladies and gentleman

Would Bowman have been able to play seniors had we taken him in the mid-season draft, or would he be worse than Clarke? Or is it impossible to say?

Would Bowman have been able to play seniors had we taken him in the mid-season draft, or would he be worse than Clarke? Or is it impossible to say?

Would get killed at AFL level ref z.Clarke last night.

Final. 98–59. Great win, got a few quick ones back at the end. Decent last gasp challenge from the Burgers but we responded well.
Thanks scythe
Really appreciate the updates

Final. 98–59. Great win, got a few quick ones back at the end. Decent last gasp challenge from the Burgers but we responded well.
Sounds like a decent effort if we were down a couple on the bench

scythe

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Auburn, Newcastle United, Charlotte
Sounds like a decent effort if we were down a couple on the bench

Don’t know that I could point out anyone who didn’t pull his weight, Hartley especially stood up huge in Zerk’s absence. Long dished off a hospital handpass in the last, but he was decent overall.

There were some slippery conditions with a number of players slipping to the ground and panic handpassing on the way down. We could be accused of over-handballing on some occasions and looked pretty ordinary when we got into that style of play. The team was, however, a class above and this showed particularly in the first half. The run and spread was superior with the taller players having the better of their respective opponents for most of the day. Coburgs forwards got on top late, when the sting had gone out of the game, and evened up the score a little bit.

Some of the players:
Zerk Thatcher: 7 disp;Was on fire early, probably best on the first quarter. He was great at incept marking down back. In fact, he marked everything that came near him and was a wall that Coburg could not get past. He didn't return after his injury and was really nursing his hand and wrist area as we went up the race. He didn't play any further part in the game.
Mingma : 33 disp; Was busy all day, and getting a lot of the ball early, and was very clean by hand and foot. Has a good ability to get in and under and win his own ball, but can also run and is good on the spread. Could probably be best on, but I feel that I might be biased - he was easily in the best 2 though. Is not far away from an EFC debut. Yeah, I changed my mind, he can be best on. Also won a Hit-Out!!!! Easy replacement for Z.Clarke.
Ridley: 15 touches. Basically took on from where BZT left off. He was best on in the last 3 quarters. Was very clean by hand and is a superb kick. Great at taking marks and was a strong presence wherever he played. Did spend some time forward and further up the ground, although he looked at his best as a floating half back type. Would fit nicely in Marty Gleeson's role in the AFL. Ridley looked to be a class above all day, and is certainly putting his hand up for selection knocking down the door! Only 15 touches but they were all class.
Myers: 26 Disp; Another solid performance for the old boy. His kicking was miles in front of any other player out there. He was getting a massive amount of depth on his kicks (with the slight breeze) and found players in the square (Hocking and Begley) for easy shots on goal. That left hoof remains a weapon. Would be in the bests, but he is bigger and can easily monster the other smaller mids out there. Seems to be getting the ball everywhere and used it superbly.
Gown: 13 disp; The boy from Moe, has kept that haircut so when he visits his folks he still looks right at home. I was impressed with his first half in particular. My knock on him has been his ability to 'stay in a game' as he can drift out and not get any of the ball at times. In the first half, he found ways to keep finding himself in good positions. He wasn't as prolific in the second half, but is building towards a more rounded game. This is probably the best game I've seen from him. Took a big hit in the last quarter (right in front of me) and was a bit slow to get up. Played the game out, and will be OK for next week.
Mutch: Not much impact on the game from him - had a couple of touches early. He was limping badly when I saw him at half time, and didn't play any part in the game after that.
Begley: 20 disp, 3 Goals; was better early and finding the ball on leads and taking strong marks. Tried hard all day, and was pushing up the ground. Still has some things to work on. Was a solid performer and looked to have more grunt, running and skill than others out there.
Baguley: 2 goals,10 disp; It was a Baguley performance much like you would see of his best at AFL this year. Made good position on a few occasions, kicked a few goals by getting out the back. He was good in the VFL, but did nothing to put any pressure on an AFL revival.
Mynott: 25 disp; Didn't notice him as much as I usually do. Perhaps this had something to do with being live and not watching on TV. Still found a lot of the ball and worked really hard. Must be close to a call up, but needs to work on having me impact his disposals and hurt the opposition more (like Ridley and Myers)
Hartley: 18 disp; No howlers this week that I noticed. I was really hoping he would have a stand-out game that forced the selectors to put him in. I didn't see much of him really, although he had 14 touches to half-time, so not noticing him making howlers is a good thing I guess! In part, this could be because the ball didn't come his way as much when Essendon were on top. He was solid, without being great. He was definitely on top of his opponent for most of the day. Hartley really is a weapon on the kick-ins. One kick (drop punt) with the wind at his back made to the middle of the ground.
Ham: 25 disp, 2 goals; was great on the spread and is an aerobic machine. Just runs all day and gets himself to good link-up positions. Can see why he had earnt a game earlier in the season. Needs to do some more bro-culs so that his head and arms are in better proportions.
Long (15), McNiece (14), Houlahan (9); were OK without having a huge impact. Houlahan (I think) tried another MOTY in the first quarter.

My votes.
5. Mingma
4. Ridley
3. Myers
2. A Heppel
1. Begley

HM: Hocking, Hartley

Lots of the AFL guys were there watching along with Woosha. The great man Heppell gave me some of his time and took a photo with my son (absolutely made his day).

Last edited:
33 disposals (most on the ground), 8 tackles and 1 hit out...;)
There were some slippery conditions with a number of players slipping to the ground and handpassing on the way down. We could be accused of over-handballing on some occasions and looked pretty ordinary when we got into that style of play. The team was, however, a class above and this showed particularly in the first half. The run and spread was superior with the taller players having the better of their respective opponents for most of the day. Coburgs forwards got on top late, when the sting had gone out of the game, and evened up the score a little bit.

Some of the players:
Zerk Thatcher: Was on fire early, probably best on the first quarter. He was great at incept marking down back. In fact, he marked everything that came near him and was a wall that Coburg could not get past. He didn't return after his injury and was really nursing his hand and wrist area as we went up the race. He didn't play any further part in the game.
Mingma: Was busy all day, and getting a lot of the ball early.....

I will finish this in a bit, my daughter needs some attention.
tell your daughter that your internet friends need some attention now.

#SharingIsCaring

Does Mutch stay on the list next year?
Yes, he has been injured which has stifled his progress. He has developed a much bigger body for this year (this could be causing some injuries as he adjusts?) the attributes and contested work he provides mean he is worth persisting with.

Back