VFL Game Day VFL Round 14: Casey vs Essendon (56-72 loss)

Remove this Banner Ad

So Francis to have a rest next week with groin/hip soreness?
Or was he taken off in the last qtr just as a precaution?

Recieved some pretty intense treatment on that hip/groin at 3/4 time. Was trying to hide from the wind in the last so didn't really notice him tbh.

Would probably suggest he gets rested

Recieved some pretty intense treatment on that hip/groin at 3/4 time. Was trying to hide from the wind in the last so didn't really notice him tbh.

Would probably suggest he gets rested
Thanks. Radio only said he came off the ground sore after he did a bad handpass that resulted in Long getting burnt and Casey getting a goal from the goal square early in the 4th.

Yoda_ what did you think of Begleys game?

Thought he was quite good, never really seems to lose a contest. Probably did enough to come in if a change is required!

Seen him have a bigger impact on a game previously. His biggest asset is his ability to impact the contest. If he doesn't win it for the team, he at least halves it and creates a stoppage allowing team mates to come and help out.

I thought he was more of a ruck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's very mobile and 202 cm. I don't think he's thick enough to be a ruckman at AFL level and I don't think he's got enough tricks to be a forward. I think if you have the athletic capabilities and a good attitude, and some brains under pressure, you can always be coached to be a lock down defender. Ambrose is a perfect example.

Brown showed yesterday and Hipwood has demonstrated twice that if you're 200cm and mobile you'll love playing against Essendon. Perhaps Daniher's confidence is sky high because he trains against our defense!! My preferred defensive set up would be two lock downs. Ambrose on your normal size KPF and also being able to take a running KPF like Gunston or Darling. Strachan as the other lock down taking the tallest forward. Two intercept marks. Hurley and Gleeson taking the lesser talls and smalls and getting off them. Then two smalls capable of attack. McKenna and McGrath are my preferred options.

7tspx6p.png

qy2SS7u.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After reading some of the summarys / stats above must say its pretty disappointing from an AFL team perspective...

Doesn't appear any of our young talent (Begley, Langford, Ambrose) put their hand up for selection, with Francis possibly injured preventing a call up.

Dea seems most likely if Kelly or Gleeson miss, Bird in if a midfielder needs a rest, Laverde to keep his spot as Begley/Langford didn't do anything to pass him

Didn't he have 8 disposals? Is that really enough?

I thought he had more than that but not that surprising considering the game was played 75% in their forward half and we struggled to get any quality supply to him. Due to our inability to move the ball at all, every possesion was probably contested. Didn't see him lose a contest and was constantly competing.

The most possession of any of our forwards was Merrett with 13 and they had him at 2nd best for us, really tells a lot of the story.

After reading some of the summarys / stats above must say its pretty disappointing from an AFL team perspective...

Doesn't appear any of our young talent (Begley, Langford, Ambrose) put their hand up for selection, with Francis possibly injured preventing a call up.

Dea seems most likely if Kelly or Gleeson miss, Bird in if a midfielder needs a rest, Laverde to keep his spot as Begley/Langford didn't do anything to pass him

I think the conditions may have had a lot to do with that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Essendon play Collingwood on Sunday, 11.45, Vic Park. Might be a few changes in the VFL names. Hopefully the weather is good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back