VFL Round 14 - Geelong vs Coburg at Skilled.

Remove this Banner Ad

So the VFL are the curtain raisers for the seniors this week. We've strung together three wins in a row, particularly impressive in light of the knock on changes the injury crisis forced. Interesting last week that we also debuted Brad Mangan from the Murray Bushrangers as part of our alliance with that side. You'd think it's unlikely he'd keep his spot given that there's upwards of five players who should be returning from the seniors but interesting nonetheless. And in what looms as a ray of sunshine through the injury clouds, Steven Motlop is set to make his debut. Only just 18 and still in a kid body (181/68) but a freakish talent.

Team anyone?

Geelong
B: Donohue Gillies Firman
HB: Hollmer McKenna Laidler
C: T. Hunt Gamble A. Varcoe
HF: Simpkin West B. Johnson
F: Motlop Podsiadly D. Simpson
R: Blake Moles Raidme
Int: (from) Tutungi Mangan* Corrigan Kennedy Sheringham Westwood Beattie Cuthill Moreland

Coburg

B: Morris Silvester Rance
HB: T. Hislop Bowden Caruso
C: Raines A. Horne McMahon
HF: Liddle Pattison Edwards
F: Carnell Schulz Brown
R: Browne Coughlan Clarke
Int: (from) Hughes Clifton Thomson Rayson Allan Jordon Oakley-Nicholls Ambrose Keogh Cattapan Polak Dahl

Will West really line up at CHF as the team sheet suggest ? Blake will be in the ruck sure but West at CHF - good move ! Even prefer to see him play CHB. But who cares I just want a big lad in the firsts that has a real go physically and places hard pressure on the opposition big guys. That is why I like Mumford - he at least has the right attitude and the body to match - now hopefully he will grow into a more talented ruckman as the seasons pass.

West is quite fast I believe for his height - so why not give him a run in a KP - we know what he basically offers in the ruck (though he could improve over time).

I think all the writing taken up on this site on Mark Blake has been somewhat vindicated by his selection in the seconds. Perhaps, really, the days of having a one dimensional player are nearly over (excepting injury to a club's lists forcing the team no alternative).

Anyway I am happy to be wrong and I hope Blake has 50 hit outs TO ADVANTAGE ! - and takes 6 marks above his head and sneaks forward and snags 2 sausage rolls. But I just can't see it happening unfortunately.

I still want the seconds to make the finals - good experience for them - but they have to win a few in row to make it from where they are now. So Blake should play all out tomorrow for himself and the team.

And in what looms as a ray of sunshine through the injury clouds, Steven Motlop is set to make his debut. Only just 18 and still in a kid body (181/68) but a freakish talent.

Awesome. I'm there with bells on.
Not sure why, but I'm excited about this kid.
Maybe it's because even though he's a bit of a tool, I secretly love Daniel Motlop.

Now all we need is Ranga to get amongst it and tear it up... :thumbsu:

Looking forward to this one, expecting a pretty good contest. Three ruckmen might be a problem if it's wet. Been looking forward to Motlop getting a run, he still looks like a kid but will be looking for some glimpses of talent.

Geelong 4.5 4.7 9.11 12.17 (89)
Coburg Tigers 2.3 5.6 7.9 10.12 (72)

GOALS:
Geelong: Podsiadly 4 Moles 2 Motlop Cuthill Westwood McKenna Simpson Tutungi

BEST:
Geelong: Podsiadly Donohue Blake Moles Hunt Tutungi

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Geelong: Nil.
Coburg Tigers: Nil.

Blake in the best, but not Gamble.

Gamble seems to be at the crossroads right now. Disappointing in the few games he's had this year, and if Tenace is keeping a spot ahead of him he'd have to be questioning his position in the pecking order.

Geelong 4.5 4.7 9.11 12.17 (89)
Coburg Tigers 2.3 5.6 7.9 10.12 (72)

GOALS:
Geelong: Podsiadly 4 Moles 2 Motlop Cuthill Westwood McKenna Simpson Tutungi

BEST:
Geelong: Podsiadly Donohue Blake Moles Hunt Tutungi

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Geelong: Nil.
Coburg Tigers: Nil.

Blake in the best, but not Gamble.

Gamble seems to be at the crossroads right now. Disappointing in the few games he's had this year, and if Tenace is keeping a spot ahead of him he'd have to be questioning his position in the pecking order.

Bit hard to be in the best when you're not even playing! Apparently Gamble strained a hamstring at training during the week and was a no-show today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win by the boys today. We came out hard early and got the jump with the pretty big breeze.

Gamble didn't play and Gillies went up so we basically had the same side in as last week with Djerkurra injured. They had some experience but didn't have Coughlan and McMahon who are both probably emergencies but they had blokes like Bowden, Shultz and Raines.

2nd quarter saw coburg dominate and lead going into the main break by 5 points. 3rd quarter started out perfect but we leaked some goals, we went in at 3qt only 14 points up making some crutial kicking errors but we faught on to win the last quarter and the game.

Blake was dominant in the ruck with his hit outs.

Dawson Simpson played his best game for the cats and im quite suprised he wasn't named in the best.

Moles was dominant in the midfield!

Laidler was good coming back into the side but i didn't think he dominated by any stretch.

Donohue had buckloads of ball off half back.

McKenna was quiet but kicked a ripping goal

Taylor Hunt didn't do much attacking wise but he played on Nathan Brown for a bit and did some good spoils.

West played mostly at chb. Got caught behind too many times probably but he has never played there so i like the experiment.

Motlop and Adam Varcoe both did little bits, varcoe's pressure is amazing and Motlop kicked a great running banana which proved a highlight but eased back into it.

Motlop moves well. He has just returned and as such will also have to build up his stamina. You can tell he will also be a good player given timeMotlop and Varcoe will both be good selections for us.

I think that Varcoe senior may have improved this year because his younger brother is also at the club

Great win by the boys today. We came out hard early and got the jump with the pretty big breeze.

Gamble didn't play and Gillies went up so we basically had the same side in as last week with Djerkurra injured. They had some experience but didn't have Coughlan and McMahon who are both probably emergencies but they had blokes like Bowden, Shultz and Raines.

2nd quarter saw coburg dominate and lead going into the main break by 5 points. 3rd quarter started out perfect but we leaked some goals, we went in at 3qt only 14 points up making some crutial kicking errors but we faught on to win the last quarter and the game.

Blake was dominant in the ruck with his hit outs.

Dawson Simpson played his best game for the cats and im quite suprised he wasn't named in the best.

Moles was dominant in the midfield!

Laidler was good coming back into the side but i didn't think he dominated by any stretch.

Donohue had buckloads of ball off half back.

McKenna was quiet but kicked a ripping goal

Taylor Hunt didn't do much attacking wise but he played on Nathan Brown for a bit and did some good spoils.

West played mostly at chb. Got caught behind too many times probably but he has never played there so i like the experiment.

Motlop and Adam Varcoe both did little bits, varcoe's pressure is amazing and Motlop kicked a great running banana which proved a highlight but eased back into it.

Thanks for the excellent write up on the game. I just cannot get to many games and am very interested on how the twos, and individual players, are performing.

I believe that is 3 in a row - and if DJ, Vegas, Lonergan, Djerkurra, Gillies and eventually Hogan come back into the side (6 good twos players) - it could be a real goer comes final times. Good for the seniors with the reserves playing finals as well, as it helps keeps players selection in the mix.

Thanks for the excellent write up on the game. I just cannot get to many games and am very interested on how the twos, and individual players, are performing.

I believe that is 3 in a row - and if DJ, Vegas, Lonergan, Djerkurra, Gillies and eventually Hogan come back into the side (6 good twos players) - it could be a real goer comes final times. Good for the seniors with the reserves playing finals as well, as it helps keeps players selection in the mix.

That was 4 in a row. They are now 7th and have a bye this weekend which you dont get any points for and then the next 5 weeks after that they play everybody around the same mark so they need to keep winning and hopefully they get some good players back who come in and do the team things because the vfl listed players are doing awesome at the moment.

I did the side for the vfl once everyone comes back in and it is quite good.

B Donohue Gillies Weadon
HB Laidler Lonergan D.Johnson
C Hunt Tenace Raidme
HF McKenna Johnson Motlop
F Varcoe Podsiadly Gamble
R Blake Djerkurra Moles
Int West D Simpson Alwright Firman

That is the rough guess of the side in 2 weeks if everybody comes back in the ones and no one else gets injured. There would be maybe a couple of others drop down aswell like Wojcinski or someone.

That was 4 in a row. They are now 7th and have a bye this weekend which you dont get any points for and then the next 5 weeks after that they play everybody around the same mark so they need to keep winning and hopefully they get some good players back who come in and do the team things because the vfl listed players are doing awesome at the moment.

I did the side for the vfl once everyone comes back in and it is quite good.

B Donohue Gillies Weadon
HB Laidler Lonergan D.Johnson
C Hunt Tenace Raidme
HF McKenna Johnson Motlop
F Varcoe Podsiadly Gamble
R Blake Djerkurra Moles
Int West D Simpson Alwright Firman

That is the rough guess of the side in 2 weeks if everybody comes back in the ones and no one else gets injured. There would be maybe a couple of others drop down aswell like Wojcinski or someone.

Looks really good on paper - and given the injuries to quite a few players who would have made progress in the twos this year (Brown, Simpson, Varcoe and Motlop) - next year looks like it could be a team that sees quite a bit of success.

I am not sure we will see Wojo in the twos again this year. He played well in the firsts, has experience and pace. If he is played where he should be - on the wing - I think he will be a good contributor in the first 22 team. I think it more likely as players come back Hogan will make your 22. He has not disgraced himself in the last 3 matches - but with Bartel and Johnson back I think he will lose his spot in the firsts. However that makes it even a stronger team. We might lose Lonergan and Tenace for next year's team. Hopefully Ranga will be fit and come into selection.

So those who had a look at young Varcoe and Motlop , what type of role do we see them playing down the track. Did they present as marking options or were they more just talented options ahla Stokes, Byrnes and Hogan

Varcoe if he gets his go on a senior list is exactly like his brother no doubt about it. And Motlop is exactly like his brother aswell, good on the lead he could play out of the square or off half forward.

Ranga and Scott Simpson i didn't include because both have been listed about another 4 weeks so im not sure whether they will get back as Ranga has had numerous Hamstring setbacks this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back