VFL Game Day VFL Round 15: Footscray vs Essendon (53 point loss)

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw the last half (and was not as observant as I could have been).

Melksham was ok, but didn't dominate like you would have thought he might have. Had very much a game like he does at AFL, in and out, but found it difficult to be consistently involved.
Jetta had some good touches, but was also visibly burnt off in a couple of his chases. His lack of pace was really evident on a few occasions.
The GWS boys were able to link up well, and showed some good run. They also found it hard to get into the game though.
Pears I barely sighted.
Hardingham did some good things up forward and looked lively.

Footscray really outplayed EFC. The game was already over when I got there at half time. Noone that I saw put in a performance to show the selection panel that they had gotten it glaringly wrong.

My boy Coghlan? Tagliabue (versus Campbell presumably?)

Tags probably broke even in terms of hit outs, Campbell probably got him around the ground and kicked a goal, so near enough to share the points.

Coghlan wasn't spectacular, but i'll probably look at the stats later and see that he's had it 20+ times

So, um, Tom Campbell had 59 hitouts :eek: surely not?

Just some other key stats winners

Leroy Jetta - 31 possessions, 13 handball receives
Kyle Hardingham - 2 goals, 3 contested marks
Jason Ashby - 21 possessions, 9 handball receives
Lauch Dalgleish - 22 possessions, 10 handball receives

Kurt Aylett - 13 possessions, 8 tackles
Jake Melksham - 12 possessions
EKav - 16 possessions, 9 tackles

Saw the first 3 quarters.
Smashed in the middle, defense looked like 6 blokes trying to hold off 500 at times.

Melksham, bit of a nothing game really, tried hard but a lot of inside scrappy stuff where he was tackled as soon as he got the ball. Not much outside run
or flow.

Kav, was the player they wanted to tag. Had someone with him all game. Did ok.

Jetta was good but too many turn overs . Lot of bone head stuff like simply playing on without looking, kicking straight to their half backs.

Aylett ok.

Fantasia did not notice him. Must have played back as he was not in the forward set up.

Edwards, got spanked by Jones in the first 15 minutes. Work in progress but has to start showing he is learning or he will be a faster better skilled version
of Jetta with no defensive side. As a defender he gets sucked up to the contest too often despite the fact that he can not influence it. It is like watching an under 14 player in a way. Nothing wrong with his attack, skill level and even decision making or calmness under pressure but nothing on the defensive side. do not know how many times he wore himself out running 70 meters back to find his man.

Steinburg like most weeks was under sized but gave it a crack. Uses the ball well. Just hard to be the main defender when some blokes a foot taller than you.

Pears. hmmm.Average. Good use of the ball but for a bloke who has played full back at AFL level he has no idea how to position himself. When he was on Jones he kept playing 3 meters in front of him letting him run and jump at the ball. as a forward he had no impact at all.

Hardingham kicked 2 but nothing special. Needs to lead more as a forward his size.

Dalgliesh got a bit of the ball but turned a few over.

Van Unen same as he is most weeks. Solid but not special.

Ashby was not too bad either but had a couple of ordinary turn overs and dropped a few marks.

Overall a crap performance from the start and they are lucky the Dogs missed a few easy goals and put some out on the full.
They got smashed and it was hard to get excited about anyone.

Thanks for that.

I could not be bothered with it this week. It was much the same as last week but the Dogs are even better than Port and we did not fire a shot.

Only positives cam from players I have a massive bias towards anyway.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back