VFL Game Day VFL Round 17: Essendon vs Box Hill (89-83 win)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mutch was immense.
Francis showing up big.
Begley was a monster.

....and Younan? Could be amazing rookie pick to put next to Fanta and Walla. Has that special something.

He should be running out AFL games though.

What's keeping him out if not fitness to run out a senior pace game? Because I would do that swap in a second and I'm sure the coaching staff would too.

Form!

It has been a poor year for him but at least he has worked on his fitness. It's going to be a very important summer for him because next year he is most likely going to come under a bit more scrutiny.

That's exactly why I don't want him there. He's most comfortable behind the footy because with his marking he doesn't really have to be accountable at VFL level.

We have a super saiyan Francis in the 1s already - don't need 2 - If he doesn't look like getting fit enough to be a reliable lead-up power forward, I don't see a use for him in our senior team while Hurley is playing.
Really? You see a role for Lever in our defence, surely there is that role, that Francis could play!?

Like you have been saying, we could use more intercept marks in defence...

Good win. Really liked Mutch's game.

Begley has a bit of fire and went ok in the mid.

Thought Francis was ordinary apart from that last mark. Butchered a couple of balls and just seemed too much on the periphery.

Ridley shows some class and Redman some nice things. Like the size of these two. When these kids add a bit of weight we're going to have some decent size mids/flankers.

Langford looks like a forward trying to play mid.

Also heard a rumour that Ty Vickery was at the ground

Really? You see a role for Lever in our defence, surely there is that role, that Francis could play!?

Like you have been saying, we could use more intercept marks in defence...

....with the height to play on a KPF so it's Hartley that's replaced not Gleeson.

Francis cannot replace Hartley sorry towno - another 3-5cm maybe.

Would be nice for him to be able to play in the senior team as well!

F yeah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

....with the height to play on a KPF so it's Hartley that's replaced not Gleeson.

Francis cannot replace Hartley sorry towno - another 3-5cm maybe.

Would be nice for him to be able to play in the senior team as well!
He's 193, 2cm shorter than Lever, he's plenty tall enough. Quite ironic you make this post the week Dea has replaced Hartley... perhaps Woosha does not agree with you there.

Sh*t no!! Are you serious?

Hate to say it but yes.

Gleeson is 23 in a week and for me the type of position he plays in he needs to be far more consistent. That 3rd defender/intercept player is critical in today's game for setting up rebound from defence and he's just so unreliable.

When you compare him to players playing the same position in the good sides he is considerably behind them but he still has so many weaknesses. It's an area of the ground that we definitely need an upgrade in.

I think if Brown didn't get injured this year he would be playing that role.

He's 193, 2cm shorter than Lever, he's plenty tall enough. Quite ironic you make this post the week Dea has replaced Hartley... perhaps Woosha does not agree with you there.

Perhaps he does because Matty Dea is not an AFL-standard tall defender and for mine it is more a sleight on Hartley than anything.

I've heard from people outside of BF land that we are higher on his list than people are reporting and he is right at the top of ours. HEAVILY into him. So I guess he agrees

Francis played just as much forward as he did back - he's being prepped for both ends, and likely won't play AFL until he can do both to standard - he will not be stuck at either one

He kicked the ball into get the winning goal and took the game saving mark. He's an everything man match-winner.

That was a big game with a lot at stake and I though the young fella Lewin Davis did very well, didn't look out of place and did some nice things
He did do some nice things. Did'nt get a lot of it but did'nt waste his disposals either. Ogden was stiff not to get another game after his first game, but obviously putting players in to see how they go. Good to see the depth in VFL team.

Hate to say it but yes.

Gleeson is 23 in a week and for me the type of position he plays in he needs to be far more consistent. That 3rd defender/intercept player is critical in today's game for setting up rebound from defence and he's just so unreliable.

When you compare him to players playing the same position in the good sides he is considerably behind them but he still has so many weaknesses. It's an area of the ground that we definitely need an upgrade in.

I think if Brown didn't get injured this year he would be playing that role.

Consistent? Gleeson has has a very good past month. Francis is the one who needs to be consistent. He was ordinary today. Apart from that last mark he didn't have another intercept mark. At the moment Francis is way behind Gleeson.

Consistent? Gleeson has has a very good past month. Francis is the one who needs to be consistent. He was ordinary today. Apart from that last mark he didn't have another intercept mark. At the moment Francis is way behind Gleeson.

Gleeson has been poor the last two weeks after having a few goodish weeks. Gleeson needs to iron out a lot of wrinkles and personally I think he's almost at his ceiling.

I'm not suggesting Francis replaces him now. Francis is a high pick and will be 21 this time next year! He was drafted to do exactly what Gleeson does but obviously the expectation is that he should do it at a high level. Next year he has to make his mark or the wolves will be at the door.

Good win. Really liked Mutch's game.

Begley has a bit of fire and went ok in the mid.

Thought Francis was ordinary apart from that last mark. Butchered a couple of balls and just seemed too much on the periphery.

Ridley shows some class and Redman some nice things. Like the size of these two. When these kids add a bit of weight we're going to have some decent size mids/flankers.

Langford looks like a forward trying to play mid.

Also heard a rumour that Ty Vickery was at the ground

He also kicked the i50 Younan marked to go ahead

Gleeson has been poor the last two weeks after having a few goodish weeks. Gleeson needs to iron out a lot of wrinkles and personally I think he's almost at his ceiling.

I'm not suggesting Francis replaces him now. Francis is a high pick and will be 21 this time next year! He was drafted to do exactly what Gleeson does but obviously the expectation is that he should do it at a high level. Next year he has to make his mark or the wolves will be at the door.
Wow. Bomber fans sure are quick to burn our own players. I'm fairly sure Bigfooty have already delisted him because Ridley is a sure fire gun.

Two quiet weeks and people label his month and a half before that as "a few goodish weeks". He led the AFL in intercept marks for a 6 week block!

Is that not consistent enough? Francis to his point hasn't shown he can run out an AFL game yet, how much more consistent do you think he will be?

His disposal has improved and he is playing in a functional backline for the first time in his career. He is no where near his ceiling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back