VFL Game Day VFL Round 17: Essendon vs Box Hill (89-83 win)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gleeson struggled in his match up on Lynch - The interesting thing is the two times he's had prolonged periods in the midfield, he has struggled.

Lynch is at the very limit of the type of player Gleeson can play on at this stage. Betts kicked 5 on Baguley in a half.

We always seem to be able to make excuses for Baguley.

Maybe this point doesn't really help my argument but I'll say that Gleeson continues to improve as a player.

Gleeson struggled in his match up on Lynch - The interesting thing is the two times he's had prolonged periods in the midfield, he has struggled.
Lynch was a poor match up for him, dragged him too far up the ground which brought Marty out of his more comfortable position across half back. Despite this he still had a very good intercept game, a credit to his improvement I reckon.

McGovern would have been far better a matchup I reckon as it would allow him to stay deeper. Similar sizes and allows Marty to read the ball in flight and peel off when needed deep.

Because he's a 23 year old pick 53 and he hasn't improved so astronomically to suggest he has far to go - that's not even the point, Ridley looks much better at the same age and very likely to replace him. Disagree?
Ridley hasn't been exposed to senior football. Gleeson has shown he has the ability to adapt his game to the highest level. Ridley does NOT look better at the same age because we haven't seen him in the cauldron yet. Who knows what weaknesses might be exposed when he plays seniors? Sure, Ridley seems to have the tools, and I hope he proves to be a star, but your post is a truly absurd one. Ridley is still that speculative 20s pick until he's shown something at the highest level.

Ridley hasn't been exposed to senior football. Gleeson has shown he has the ability to adapt his game to the highest level. Ridley does NOT look better at the same age because we haven't seen him in the cauldron yet. Who knows what weaknesses might be exposed when he plays seniors? Sure, Ridley seems to have the tools, and I hope he proves to be a star, but your post is a truly absurd one. Ridley is still that speculative 20s pick until he's shown something at the highest level.

Time will tell how absurd it is I guess

Time will tell how absurd it is I guess
The absurdity is that you are using Ridley's unexposed potential to justify the denigration of an improving young talent with exposed form. Whether hindsight proves you to have foresight is immaterial.

The absurdity is that you are using Ridley's unexposed potential to justify the denigration of an improving young talent with exposed form. Whether hindsight proves you to have foresight is immaterial.

I just said he's taller and quicker...

No.. this is not even the point

I know mate, I kind of said that in the second half of that post eh? And every prior post trying to tell Ethan it's not the point because ceilings aren't a real thing.

Dps agrees he will likely replace him so I'll stick wit it

Marty was in fact playing VFL at the same age so it's right to compare them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he's a 23 year old pick 53 and he hasn't improved so astronomically to suggest he has far to go - that's not even the point, Ridley looks much better at the same age and very likely to replace him. Disagree?
unbelievable that you still consider his draft position relevant. Jethuth chritht

unbelievable that you still consider his draft position relevant. Jethuth chritht

I've said as much if you'd care to read. Stupid question gets a stupid answer - "how do you know he's nearly at his ceiling"

What else can you say except I just think that he is.

I think that he's nearly reached his potential, being drafted at 53 makes me realistic as to what his limits may be and I'm not sold on the notion he's some untapped fountain of potential that will improve every year till he's 29.

I think he's handy - not a 3rd defender though. If we can replace him and he moves down the pecking order onto someone smaller - I'd be fine with that.

From the handful games I've watched of Ridley at VFL level this season he seems to do the right things at the right times, uses the ball beautifully, lots to like.

Lynch is at the very limit of the type of player Gleeson can play on at this stage. Betts kicked 5 on Baguley in a half.

We always seem to be able to make excuses for Baguley.

Maybe this point doesn't really help my argument but I'll say that Gleeson continues to improve as a player.

Baguely is a good Aussie bloke who competes hard. I think he's the perfect captain of our VFL side.

I've said as much if you'd care to read. Stupid question gets a stupid answer - "how do you know he's nearly at his ceiling"

What else can you say except I just think that he is.

I think that he's nearly reached his potential, being drafted at 53 makes me realistic as to what his limits may be and I'm not sold on the notion he's some untapped fountain of potential that will improve every year till he's 29.

I think he's handy - not a 3rd defender though. If we can replace him and he moves down the pecking order onto someone smaller - I'd be fine with that.
Draft position is not the be all and end all measure of potential.

Anyway, not sure why we're going on about this so much in this thread. Gleeson has barely played any VFL football for the past couple of seasons.

Anyway, not sure why we're going on about this so much in this thread. Gleeson has barely played any VFL football for the past couple of seasons.

I know it's not - I've seen James Hird as well.

Brought him up purely as a comparison to Ridley, somehow we've ended up here

He has been sent back to the VFL twice so it's not like he's not immune to it.

His direct competition for that role is Dea and Brown and one of which has been injured for most of the year. I personally thought Brown offered more in the role.

Next year Gleeson will have competition from both Ridley and Francis also. Gleeson has had the role by default this year but I'm anticipating changes next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back