VFL Game Day VFL Round 18: Essendon vs Footscray (88-83 win)

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon and Footscray enter a must win clash for both sides, as the winner will still have hopes for a top 4 finish somehow, if Williamstown defeat Casey away from home next week. Footscray have been in stellar form, winning 4 of their last 5 games whilst the Dons have done the same over their last 5 matches. The pair have enjoyed a healthy rivalry in recent years, the teams facing each other in back to back semi finals the past 2 years.

Essendon came away with an excellent victory against top of the table Box Hill in the broadcast game on channel 7, coming up 6 point victors with Daniel Younan kicking a goal with less than a minute on the clock to seal the result, the former Coburg man kicking 4 goals in his return to the side. Craig Bird and Nick O'Brien were excellent in the midfield, collecting 28 disposals apiece.

Footscray had a bye last round but their last start was a very tight 13 point win against Preston, kicking 2 goals in time on in the last quarter to secure the win. Former Blue Billy Gowers enjoyed playing against former team mates, named best afield with his 3 goal effort whilst Will Hayes was the best midfielder for the Bulldogs, collecting 30 disposals for them.

Overall, it'll be a tight game but my bias leads me to pick Essendon by 22 (And hopefully Sandringham against Richmond).

Two very strong sides named. Interestingly enough, Colyer isn't named in the two's but is down as omitted. Head to head:

Essendon vs Footscray

FF: Darby - Draper - Clarke
FB: Collins - Roberts - Prudden
HF: Long - Boyse - Mutch
HB: Greene - Mullenger-McHugh - Webb
MF: O'Brien - Hocking - Stanton
MF: Smith - Boyd - Wallis
HB: Redman - Ferry - Heppell
HF: Nash - Gowers - Lipinski
FB: Brown - Dea - Ridley
FF: Campbell - Boyd - Honeychurch
OB: McKernan - Langford - Hind
OB: English - Tweedie - Hamilton
IC: Lill - Luxford - Graham - Carr - Morgan - Younan - Peters - Cornell
IC: Ryan - Jamieson - Dalgleish - Hayes - Tashevski-Beckwith - Short - Greenwood - Barry
23P: Ottavi
23P: Smith

This is a really balanced side for both. Midfield is absolutely vital, they have 5 players there that are very good for this level in Boyd, Smith, Wallis, Honeychurch and ATB.

For me, Darby plays defence. He and Brown can handle the Boyd/Campbell/English trio and I would also like to see how Ridley plays as a small defender.

We've gone in taller, but their KPP's are just as good as ours if not better.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Noticed Howlett not named either - maybe travelling emergency..?? Great to see Brown back in - I'd like to see them line up a little more like;-

Ridley Brown Mutch
Dea Ferry Hind
Stanton Hocking Luxford
Redman McKernan A.Heppell
Clarke Boyce Darby

Draper Langford O'Brien

Bench from: Carr Cornell Graham Lill

Last edited:

Killer_Mike

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2017
Ghetto Extraordinary
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal,Knicks,Victory
Two very strong sides named. Interestingly enough, Colyer isn't named in the two's but is down as omitted. Head to head:

Essendon vs Footscray

FF: Darby - Draper - Clarke
FB: Collins - Roberts - Prudden
HF: Long - Boyse - Mutch
HB: Greene - Mullenger-McHugh - Webb
MF: O'Brien - Hocking - Stanton
MF: Smith - Boyd - Wallis
HB: Redman - Ferry - Heppell
HF: Nash - Gowers - Lipinski
FB: Brown - Dea - Ridley
FF: Campbell - Boyd - Honeychurch
OB: McKernan - Langford - Hind
OB: English - Tweedie - Hamilton
IC: Lill - Luxford - Graham - Carr - Morgan - Younan - Peters - Cornell
IC: Ryan - Jamieson - Dalgleish - Hayes - Tashevski-Beckwith - Short - Greenwood - Barry
23P: Ottavi
23P: Smith

This is a really balanced side for both. Midfield is absolutely vital, they have 5 players there that are very good for this level in Boyd, Smith, Wallis, Honeychurch and ATB.

For me, Darby plays defence. He and Brown can handle the Boyd/Campbell/English trio and I would also like to see how Ridley plays as a small defender.

We've gone in taller, but their KPP's are just as good as ours if not better.
I thought I read somewhere that Colyer was omitted also but on the Bomber website it just has him out. Maybe he just been rested for a week.

Would fit into the resting of players throughout the year strategy.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-17/rd-22-team-v-suns

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Noticed Howlett not named either - maybe travelling emergency..?? Great to see Brown back in - I'd like to see them line up a little more like;-

Ridley Brown Mutch
Dea Ferry Hind
Stanton Hocking Luxford
Redman McKernan A.Heppell
Clarke Boyce Darby

Draper Langford O'Brien

Bench from: Carr Cornell Graham Lill
You'd drop Younan after he kicked 4 goals last week? From what I can tell only one of those bench players will play in Graham. Morgan and Younan definitely get a gig

Phat Toni

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Spurs & Storm
I like Trav, seems a nice kid, but he deserved to get dropped, not rested
Not named as an emergency for the seniors....

Maybe he got a note that says "thanks for your time at the club Trav, the contents of your locker are in a box on the footpath, love Woosha"

Maybe he got a note that says "thanks for your time at the club Trav, the contents of your locker are in a box on the footpath, love Woosha"

Contracted until 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

I'd put the box on top of his locker and wish him luck getting it down but I'm a bad person.

Anyways, VFL, should be good, need to win.

Anyone getting down to this? Probably the last chance before finals arrive to watch them, as the Geelong vs Essendon VFL game is on at the same time as the seniors next week (the VFL should reschedule)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Killer_Mike

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2017
Ghetto Extraordinary
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal,Knicks,Victory
41 - 31 half time

Langford best on so far and has been in absolutely everything. So clean and creative around the packs and dangerous when drifting forward. Kicked at least 1 and set up 2.

Draper is showing a bit. Getting pushed around a bit by Campbell as you would expect but my god has drapes got a leap on him. Taken some really nice contested marks.

Long has been really good. Showing typical dash but also getting forward and being dangerous.

Mutch getting his hands on it a lot. Not as clean as usual but nobody is due to the conditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back