VFL Game Day VFL Round 2: Essendon v Collingwood (32 point win; 75-43)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway, individual reports:

#10 Nick O'Brien: Racked up the possessions but was fairly "meh" again. Needs to kick more goals for a guy that started as a forward.

#14 Jason Ashby: Read the play extremely well before his injury. Let's hope it's only a minor one. Will be a player of the future.

#19 Shaun Edwards: Poor game for me, looked a bit lazy again.

#20 Jackson Merrett: Very good, definite chance to play next week.

#24 Alex Browne: Disappointing game after being very good last week.

#25 Ariel Steinberg: Gave Cox an absolute bath, but not hard given Cox's lack of experience. Massive hanger as well.

#27 Jonathon Giles: Average. Got a few hitouts but disappointing around the ground.

#28 Elliott Kavanagh: This guy has really pulled his finger out, was in the top 5 for us with ease.

#30 Kyle Langford: Looked good but didn't do a lot. Might make his debut later in the season.

#33 Jayden Laverde: Looked really good. He'll make his debut this season.

#34 Jake Long: He was okay, but not sure you can play both him and McKenna in the same side. Maybe gets a rest next week.

#42 James Gwilt: Played really well, especially with the use of his body. Skills were back up to their usual standards this week. Would like to see him against his old side.

#43 Kurt Aylett: Had a rare poor day. Still had a couple of really good passages of play though.

#44 Shaun McKernan: I really liked him. He has to play next week, he and Bellchambers will be a really good combination.

#45 Conor McKenna: Still a bit raw. As said earlier, don't really think you can play him and Long in the same game against good sides.

#46 Orazio Fantasia: Decent game, but had a touch of the fumbles IMO. Maybe another week against Casey.

He is great at this level but he doesn't have the game for the big leagues. He gets beaten badly in one on ones (even at VFL level) unless the ball to the forward is 50/50 or worse. He positions himself well to cut of a lot of entries but he's ultimately a poor mans Hooker without the tools to stand an AFL level key or even mid forward.

Could he make it forward? (where he played when recruited)

He is great at this level but he doesn't have the game for the big leagues. He gets beaten badly in one on ones (even at VFL level) unless the ball to the forward is 50/50 or worse. He positions himself well to cut of a lot of entries but he's ultimately a poor mans Hooker without the tools to stand an AFL level key or even mid forward.

A poor man's Hooker? Is that the kind you find in a back alley off Kings street at 3.30 AM ?

The problem I had with today is that we had control of the match throughout, but we only scored 75 points. That's just not efficient enough.

The problem I had with today is that we had control of the match throughout, but we only scored 75 points. That's just not efficient enough.
Pretty slippery conditions though.

And Collingwood did defend pretty well.

Merrett and Mckernan did enough to deserve call ups.
Thought El Kav was pretty good in the middle too, and the Saints isn't the worst team to bring him in for.
I do look forward to Laverde and Langford being ready. Great recruiting there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Pears not play yesterday? I decided to be parentally present yesterday so missed the game.
No, didn't play. Unsure why- presumably either an injury of some sort or he's being managed back in because of his pre-season injury.

Certainly wouldn't have been form based- he kicked three against Sandringham and looked pretty good.

Well summarised - I agree. :thumbsu:

Gets beaten one on one because he is always asked to play on blokes 4,5 6 7 8 cm taller as we have no one else up to it. When he gets the right match up he is rarely beaten one on one. His problem is where does he fit in the side as at top level he can not be the tall defender. Was drafted as a half forward who may end up a midfielder so who knows. All i know is he is a top line VFL player who did ok in the few senior games he played in a role that was always going to be hard for him giving away height.
Personally i would like to see more at senior level before making my mind up but who knows if that is going to happen.

Ok saturdays game, good to see some wet weather footy being played.

Obrien, does what he does in the VFL, no fuss, no real excitment, just a good ball winner.Can not knock a bloke who keeps getting 20 plus every week.

Ashby was doing ok, took some good marks, defense was good. Ankle injury last quarter.

Edwards, have said many times he has all the tools but his mental application lets him down. Spends too much time ball watching and loses concentration
far too often which leaves him out of position and chasing too often. Not sure if he is going to get it which is a shame as he is exciting when he is going.
Looked down on confidence yesterday.

J Merrett, very good, even first quarter then in everything after that. Back to his best form.

Browne, good enough in the first half but shut down after half time.

Steinburg , always reliable at this level even when playing on the blokes 10cm plus taller than him. Reads the ball well. Very good.

Giles, good game, got a bit of the ball around the ground. Not far away from senior level.

Kavanagh started to win more ball as the game went on. He was good. Would be in the seniors if he was a bit stronger in the body as some of his inside stuff
is very good. Needs to keep winning outside ball to make it at this stage.

Langford was an improvement on last week but still needs more games before he is in senior contention. Always does a few nice things per game.

Laverde. Liked his game as he was not getting a lot of the ball early but he kept doing the little things and chasing hard, making tackles and pressuring
the opposition and his work rate payed off. Very good second half with a few goals.

Long, just bubbling along nicely. Not big numbers but does a few classy things each week which keeps you interested.

Gwilt, solid all day as you would expect. Experience makes him good at this level. Looked better this week.

Aylett. had a closer look at him this week as his numbers surprised a bit last week. Very good small defender, not as much of the ball this week but his focus was more on his defense. Uses the ball very well most of the time. Could make a very good run with player in time.

McKernan. Love his play at the moment. Maybe lacks a little class but he just tries his guts out, always makes a contest, second efforts are great. He is ready for a call up. Very, very good game two weeks in a row.

McKenna made a few mistakes but takes the game on which i like. Is traveling ok.

Fantasia, have seen him play better. Seemed to be a little off his game but still worked hard and had a few good moments but did spray a few kicks. Not one of his better days but i think he will make it in the midfield.

Of the VFL boys, Muscles was great, Harding ham good, Schroder good, probably the longest i have seen Tippa go as far as running out a game. Looked ok despite a few dodgy kicks. Ferry looks a good VFL type.

Gets beaten one on one because he is always asked to play on blokes 4,5 6 7 8 cm taller as we have no one else up to it. When he gets the right match up he is rarely beaten one on one. His problem is where does he fit in the side as at top level he can not be the tall defender. Was drafted as a half forward who may end up a midfielder so who knows. All i know is he is a top line VFL player who did ok in the few senior games he played in a role that was always going to be hard for him giving away height.
Personally i would like to see more at senior level before making my mind up but who knows if that is going to happen.

I agree with all of this. His physical limitations, height and mobility, are what I was referring to as 'tools'.

The reality is that at AFL level he is roughly the mobility of the players who are almost always 10cm taller than him. I don't see him having the speed and/or agility to play on the mid-sized options. I can't think of many match ups that he could get that would leave me confident in a one on one.

Last edited:
Aylett. had a closer look at him this week as his numbers surprised a bit last week. Very good small defender, not as much of the ball this week but his focus was more on his defense. Uses the ball very well most of the time. Could make a very good run with player in time.

Do you have any idea if he will get the chance or how he is viewed internally?

Do you have any idea if he will get the chance or how he is viewed internally?

They like him in that small defending role with a bit of attack. Doubtful he will get much of a chance this year. Think they want to see a good season out of him this year and likely another rookie spot next season if all goes well. He has pace and his skills are good. Would still be longer term.

who you guys talking about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back