VFL Game Day VFL Round 2: Essendon vs Collingwood (118-38 win)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not according to the club he wasn't haha was 5th best haha
I don't pay attention to the order. Why does the order seem to matter to everyone?

Mckernan was very good. Mark & kicked very well, tackled like a man possessed. Almost put De Goey in hospital with a tackle across HB which resulted in a Bomber goal. He had about three scoring assists as well doing the team thing. Although TBC dominated in the ruck, Smack won plenty of ruck contests around the FWD line giving TBC the chop out..Overall Mckernan played a great game, on Par with TBC imo. TBC rucked well and took a few great marks, gave our mids the first use and scored some easy goals. But he also kicked the ball out of ruck contests to no one in particular and made a lot of mistakes. I aint knocking him as I thought he was great. But so Mckernan was equal in terms of impact playing in the FWD line. Hardly an almost game....

IMO it's either Leuy by himself or TBC and Smack as a combo. They could be a decent tandem in the seniors now that TBC looks like he is moving well again.

Missed the game, for anyone who seen it how did Alex Boyse play? Looked great the practice game I seen him play. Anyone know how tall he is?

Missed the game, for anyone who seen it how did Alex Boyse play? Looked great the practice game I seen him play. Anyone know how tall he is?
Was electric. Great hands, quick. Poor kick though.

You must have missed the first quarter. He dropped about 3 marks and was horrible. Saying that he did improve after that.
No you are right, I missed the 1st Q as the stream wasn't working but I've watched him a few times now and I'LL stick with my assement and the fact that he can win his own ball and has aggression also.

Ultimately TBC did what he should have, with a good level of intensity but he didn't rip the game apart as perhaps he should have and wasn't best on ground for me. Is it unfair for me to expect more from TBC given he was playing against opponents of highly questionable ability? His fitness is getting better week after week which is great. I didn't think that his impact was as felt as much as Mutch & Clarke or even Peters playing as the 23rd man who are all so new.
Myers after almost a year and a half out also played a great first game back.

IMO it's either Leuy by himself or TBC and Smack as a combo. They could be a decent tandem in the seniors now that TBC looks like he is moving well again.

The game plan at the moment is really based on one ruck man and two marking forwards, one medium forward and smalls & I don't want us to change it as it is our most productive structure for years & years. If Hooker & Luey were both injured then I would seriously consider playing both Smack & TBC. TBC would ruck 80% & Mckernan would play Hookers role. Cant see it working otherwise.

If Leuy gets injured, I am still not sure who I would actually choose out of those two. TBC is probably a little in front now on the strength of this performance. Although question marks on his fitness still remain. Smack continues to play good team orientated footy & I suspect he is performing the role the coaches want from him and would offer a lot including being a mid when the ball hits the ground around the midfield adds a lot of value.

Any stats for BOG Myers?

TBC only gets a game if theyre dropping Leuy which i dont see happening.

Kicking 3 goals in an 80 point annihilation isnt exactly that hard to do is it? Im sure he did other great work in the ruck.

Id rather us be tall by playing Francis not Mckernan.

The other reason against TBC is his tank isnt Leuy levels and it means Joe has to do more work than required whereas Leuy is seen as a fitness freak and Joeys 5-10% ruck time is all thats required

Mckernan was very good. Mark & kicked very well, tackled like a man possessed. Almost put De Goey in hospital with a tackle across HB which resulted in a Bomber goal. He had about three scoring assists as well doing the team thing. Although TBC dominated in the ruck, Smack won plenty of ruck contests around the FWD line giving TBC the chop out..Overall Mckernan played a great game, on Par with TBC imo. TBC rucked well and took a few great marks, gave our mids the first use and scored some easy goals. But he also kicked the ball out of ruck contests to no one in particular and made a lot of mistakes. I aint knocking him as I thought he was great. But so Mckernan was equal in terms of impact playing in the FWD line. Hardly an almost game....

In terms of impact and what they have been capable of TBC was best on.

McKernan was solid and looked to tear the game apart but didnt.

TBC did. 3 goals in the third, dominant in the ruck and whilst early on his ball use was ordinary, it improved in the second half as he got involved around the ground more.

Ultimately TBC did what he should have, with a good level of intensity but he didn't rip the game apart as perhaps he should have and wasn't best on ground for me. Is it unfair for me to expect more from TBC given he was playing against opponents of highly questionable ability? His fitness is getting better week after week which is great. I didn't think that his impact was as felt as much as Mutch & Clarke or even Peters playing as the 23rd man who are all so new.
Myers after almost a year and a half out also played a great first game back.

It was about TBC work rate and his actual impact at the coal face that was impressive. Would have had 40+ hitouts today.

Any stats for BOG Myers?

TBC only gets a game if theyre dropping Leuy which i dont see happening.

Kicking 3 goals in an 80 point annihilation isnt exactly that hard to do is it? Im sure he did other great work in the ruck.

Id rather us be tall by playing Francis not Mckernan.

The other reason against TBC is his tank isnt Leuy levels and it means Joe has to do more work than required whereas Leuy is seen as a fitness freak and Joeys 5-10% ruck time is all thats required
Surely Luey gets a rest for Bellchambers against Melbourne given the short break?

Its
It was about TBC work rate and his actual impact at the coal face that was impressive. Would have had 40+ hitouts today.

I am glad he is starting to play some good footy.

Once he develops his tank fully he will be a good back up if we need to call upon him in the future for the real stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't agree. He was good today, but Bellchambers was our best along with Myers with daylight to the next player.

Bellchambers was best on.
Couldn't agree more.

Bellchambers looked a class above anyone imo. Looked enormous (because he is) and still looked like he could have gone up another gear. When he's on he does it with ease.

Surely Luey gets a rest for Bellchambers against Melbourne given the short break?
Luey would be livid. Never give a sucker an even break. This same mentality cost a Hawks ruckman a premiership medallion a few years back.

giDTpJb.png

CBDo5LB.png

Having TBC as a genuine chance to come back in would be amazing. Not gonna lie, had thought he was as likely to help us as Simon Madden. Didn't think he'd ever contribute again. If he can return to the value proposition he used to offer, holy s**t that's a boner, um, I mean bonus

Its pretty nice that our VFL side did so well right before a 5 day break.

Means we will be able to rest some players after ANZAC day if they can't get up in time.

At this early stage I would be thinking:
Gleeson/McKenna for McGrath (just for the 1 week rest) would be an obvious one.
Myers will come in for sure.
Howlett is very likely to come in for someone being able to play both and forward. He also played well in his one senior game this year and only lost his spot to injury.

I wouldn't hesitate to make as many as 6-8 changes. We have the depth and it will be a good chance to see if some of these players that are putting in dominant VFL performances can make an impact at AFL level. Plus they will play their hearts out because they will know they have to if they want to retain their spot in the seniors. I also believe it will help our boys perform better until we reach the bye. One week of marginally worse players that are fully fit for significant gains down the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back