VFL Game Day VFL Round 21: Geelong vs Essendon, Kardinia Park, Sunday 25/08/19, 11:40 am (Ch7 game)

In the last home and away game of the season, this is a dead rubber. The only permutations to come out of this game is what position in the 8 Geelong finish, and who they can play week 1 of finals, as Essendon are guaranteed to play Richmond at Punt Road for the first final. If Werribee win Geelong play Port Melbourne at NPO, if they win and Werribee lose they play either Box Hill or Casey at NPO, or if both lose they play each other at NPO. Form wise, Essendon have been struggling a little bit, losing 3 of their last 4 whilst Geelong had their first loss since round 14 on the weekend. These teams always seem to split their results every year, interchanging wins by which side is at home.

Geelong had a tough loss down at Chirnside Park against top 2 contender Williamstown, getting jumped early but they were able to peg it back every quarter to only go down by 9 points in the end, with key forward Wylie Buzza being crucial with 3 goals whilst midfielders Sam Menegola and Scott Selwood were named amongst the best for the Cats in the midfield.

Essendon had a tough 2 goal loss to the minor premiers Richmond the contest was close all day with the Tigers pipping them at the post at the end. Heath Hocking and Jordan Houlahan weren't prolific but kicked 2 goals apiece whilst David Myers continued his good form at this level with 30 disposals and a goal, combining well with captain Aaron Heppell (25 and 1) and Jordan Ridley (24 and 0) through the middle of the ground.

I think Essendon will be desperate to hit some form before they play Richmond again, Dons by 33. Possible side:

FB: Josh Tynan - Michael Hartley - Matthew Dea
HB: Jake Long - Daniel Guccione - Ben McNiece
MF: Jordan Ridley - David Myers - Tom Jok
HF: Josh Begley - Noah Gown - Heath Hocking
FF: Mark Baguley - Jayden Laverde - Jordan Houlahan
OB: Riley Bowman - Will Snelling - Aaron Heppell

IC: Danny Younan - Kurt Aylett - Bruno Laguda - Liam McKenna
IC: Nino Lazzaro - Jake McQueen - Jacob Brown - Dylan Landt
23P: Tynan Smith

Didn't mind Guccione's work on the weekend. Where did we find him?
Was under Ricky Dyson's tutelage at Bundoora in the Northern League. Also cousin of tennis player Chris.

Their team:

Ben Jarvis - Blake Schlensog - Ben Reid
Oscar Brownless - Aaron Black - Zach Guthrie
James Parsons - Nakia Cockatoo - Scott Selwood
Jamaine Jones - Wylie Buzza - Sam Simpson
Nathan Kreuger - Darcy Fort - Zac Smith
Ryan Abbott - Sam Menegola - Charlie Constable

Patrick Dowling - Lachlan Fogarty - Dean Gore - Jacob Kennerly
Jackson McLachlan - Callum Mitchell - Nik Rokhar - Jake Tarca
Angus Byrne

Our team:

Matthew Dea - Michael Hartley - Ben McNiece
Nino Lazzaro - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Jacob McQueen
Jake Long - Heath Hocking - Jordan Ridley
Mark Baguley - Nick Dixon - David Myers
Dale Marshall - Jordan Houlahan - Tynan Smith
Riley Bowman - Ben Fennell - Trent Mynott

Kurt Aylett - Jacob Brown - Daniel Guccione - Aaron Heppell
Bruno Laguda - Dylan Landt - Edyn Sibbald - Josh Tynan
Matthew Day

I think it's fair to see we'll be the overwhelming underdogs in this game. A straight sets exit wouldn't shock me at this point.

The team they have out there is ridiculous. Bowman up against Zac Smith, Ryan Abbott and Darcy Fort. Other AFL talent in Menegola, Selwood, Gutherie, Buzza, Fogarty, Parsons, Jones and Constable. Get f’ed.
You rate Parsons and Jones? I mean they're good VFL players but not at a higher level than say Dea or McNiece

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
You rate Parsons and Jones? I mean they're good VFL players but not at a higher level than say Dea or McNiece

Not particularly, but they both have played AFL for the likely minor premiers who haven’t had significant injuries. So they can’t be all bad. Could see Jones making it given time.

Back