Game Day VFL round 3 v Northern Bullants

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wallis played almost exclusively in the midfield today and was very impressive with 28 disposals, 16 contested, 11 clearances and 9 score involvements.

Weightman played probably his best VFL game to date with 2 goals (6 shots), 11 marks (6 inside 50) and 117 ranking points.

Sweet was outstanding with 11 hitouts to advantage, 4 shots at goal, 11 contested possessions and 150 ranking points.

Butler and Garcia have to be close to senior selection and personally I think Young has to come back in for Cordy with 8 intercepts, 4 intercept marks, 7 spoils and 81% disposal efficiency. Khamis also has to debut in the next few weeks he just continues to impress and has incredible speed exitingDd50.

Ugle-Haggan finished with 10 disposals, 1 goal, 2 contested marks, 5 score involvements, 1 tackle

Bedendo is starting to impress kicking 3 goals from 4 shots and can see him fit nicely in our 22 once he puts a bit of weight. If you haven't already check out some of his marks from U19 level.

You can find most stats below including a player table but beware that final stats won’t be pushed until Monday so some stats may change...

Disposal Efficiency
FO: 71%
NB: 70%

Kicking Efficiency
FO: 67%
NB: 66%

Hitouts/To Advantage
38/11 - Sweet
5/0 - Glass-McCasker

Hitouts To Advantage

FO: 11
NB: 5

First Possessions
FO: 44
NB: 28

Clearances/Centre Clearances

FO: 40/10

NB: 26/10

Contested Marks
FO: 14

Marks Inside 50
FO: 16
NB: 13

Marks Inside Defensive 50
FO: 28
NB: 23

Score Launches
8 - Sweet
4 - Wallis
2 - Cavarra, Bedendo
1 - Young, Khamis, Smith, Garcia, Glass-McCasker, Sullivan, Cormack, William, Kellett, McComb, Raak, Orgill

Inside 50 Efficiency
FO: 52%
NB: 44%

Shots At Goal
FO: 30 (40%)

NB: 18 (33%)

Ranking Points
150 - Sweet
119 - Wallis
117 - Weightman
115 - Sullivan
110 - Butler
105 - Garcia
98 - Young
96 - Hayes
90 - McComb
83 - Cavarra
82 - Smith
77 - Boyd
77 - Cormack
77 - William
73 - Ugle-Hagan
72 - Bedendo
67 - Khamis
67 - Glass-McCasker
63 - Short
53 - Raak
41 - Orgill
29 - Kellett

Free Kick Summary
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.19.19 pm.png

Score Sources
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.19.05 pm.png

Team Summary
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.24.09 pm.png

Last edited:

Not at all depressing. It was a 43 point win at the end of the day, even if it wasn't spectacular. There were some positive signs from Bedendo, Garcia, Sweet and Weightman, which is all you can really hope for at minimum. JUH a bit quiet, but can't expect him to kick 5 every week
Gave it a Like - partly for the informative reply, but mainly for spelling Bedendo right. :thumbsupemoji:

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Based on today, would we think there is any value in playing Sweet and Martin if we needed to? Last night we got exposed in the ruck in the second half. We had so many passengers that I can only imagine Sweet would have contributed significantly more than players like Schache, JJ and West.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wallis played almost exclusively in the midfield today and was very impressive with 28 disposals, 16 contested, 11 clearances and 9 score involvements.

Weightman played probably his best VFL game to date with 2 goals (6 shots), 11 marks (6 inside 50) and 117 ranking points.

Sweet was outstanding with 11 hitouts to advantage, 4 shots at goal, 11 contested possessions and 150 ranking points.

Butler and Garcia have to be close to senior selection and personally I think Young has to come back in for Cordy with 8 intercepts, 4 intercept marks, 7 spoils and 81% disposal efficiency. Khamis also has to debut in the next few weeks he just continues to impress and has incredible speed exitingDd50.

Ugle-Haggan finished with 10 disposals, 1 goal, 2 contested marks, 5 score involvements, 1 tackle

Bedendo is starting to impress kicking 3 goals from 4 shots and can see him fit nicely in our 22 once he puts a bit of weight. If you haven't already check out some of his marks from U19 level.

You can find most stats below including a player table but beware that final stats won’t be pushed until Monday so some stats may change...

Disposal Efficiency
FO: 71%
NB: 70%

Kicking Efficiency
FO: 67%
NB: 66%

Hitouts/To Advantage
38/11 - Sweet
5/0 - Glass-McCasker

Hitouts To Advantage

FO: 11

First Possessions
FO: 44
NB: 28

Clearances/Centre Clearances

FO: 40/10

NB: 26/10

Contested Marks
FO: 14

Marks Inside 50
FO: 16
NB: 13

Marks Inside Defensive 50
FO: 28
NB: 23

Score Launches
8 - Sweet
4 - Wallis
2 - Cavarra, Bedendo
1 - Young, Khamis, Smith, Garcia, Glass-McCasker, Sullivan, Cormack, William, Kellett, McComb, Raak, Orgill

Inside 50 Efficiency
FO: 52%
NB: 44%

Shots At Goal
FO: 30 (40%)

NB: 18 (33%)

Ranking Points
150 - Sweet
119 - Wallis
117 - Weightman
115 - Sullivan
110 - Butler
105 - Garcia
98 - Young
96 - Hayes
90 - McComb
83 - Cavarra
82 - Smith
77 - Boyd
77 - Cormack
77 - William
73 - Ugle-Hagan
72 - Bedendo
67 - Khamis
67 - Glass-McCasker
63 - Short
53 - Raak
41 - Orgill
29 - Kellett

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1116031

Score Sources
View attachment 1116032

Team Summary
View attachment 1116036
I love your stuff OG, keep posting this kinda thing.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Based on today, would we think there is any value in playing Sweet and Martin if we needed to? Last night we got exposed in the ruck in the second half. We had so many passengers that I can only imagine Sweet would have contributed significantly more than players like Schache, JJ and West.

Based on last night’s output, better than Schache. He’s a main ruck but he can take a mark and find the goals, or drop back and flatten an opposition forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure we can read too much into this game. NB haven’t won a game and don’t have AFL players and we didn’t smash them.

AFL Players:

- Wallis was good with lots of possessions but didn’t look as good as Lipinski or West the week before. I want him in the AFL but in this game he looked to be adjusting back to inside mid and was low on cohesion with Sweet - should be back but wasn’t smashing it.

- Sweet was the dominant ruck - looked a cut above and wouldn’t be surprised if Martin got a rest - he didn’t look right last night.

- Weightman was very good - with Sweet probably our best - missed some goals but looks like he will step up soon. Like Richmond small player going for hangers can be valuable. Will play soon.

- García - he is coming along nicely has real speed, hardness and mongrel - even runs like Clay Smith but a lot faster! When the game was stalling he lifted and crashed Some packs - very soon.

- Roarke - was just average - shame Fiordo the fella - he wasn’t that far off according to Bevos treatment last year.

- Young - he got a fair bit of it and was dominant at times but when under pressure was shaky and did a bit of ball watching not pressure desperation. Without that he won’t be picked - go and live with Morris.

- Khamis - was OK but not as good as he has been. Probably not ready yet but shows positives.

- Butler - definitely showing good signs but was not killing it. Not knocking hard enough.

- JUH - was blocked out for most of the game - and was still influential if even if he went missing at times. He attracts attention and set up a couple as well as kicked one or two. His moving and run is so smooth it is scary and his talent is no1 draft level - off the chart - skills and decisions. He ran out the game but fitness wise, not sure. Won’t be long before he plays and look forward to twelve years of ‘wow did you see that’ but what I really love is his aggression he is very prepared to give to people.

- Cavarra did some good things but not enough.

- Hayes’ running ability is well above everyone out there - it’s crazy but his disposal and decision making is just not up to it unfortunately

- All in all a bit disappointing but youth is developing well and will eventually make us stronger.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure we can read too much into this game. NB haven’t won a game and don’t have AFL players and we didn’t smash them.

AFL Players:

- Wallis was good with lots of possessions but didn’t look as good as Lipinski or West the week before. I want him in the AFL but in this game he looked to be adjusting back to inside mid and was low on cohesion with Sweet - should be back but wasn’t smashing it.

- Sweet was the dominant ruck - looked a cut above and wouldn’t be surprised if Martin got a rest - he didn’t look right last night.

- Weightman was very good - with Sweet probably our best - missed some goals but looks like he will step up soon. Like Richmond small player going for hangers can be valuable. Will play soon.

- García - he is coming along nicely has real speed, hardness and mongrel - even runs like Clay Smith but a lot faster! When the game was stalling he lifted and crashed Some packs - very soon.

- Roarke - was just average - shame Fiordo the fella - he wasn’t that far off according to Bevos treatment last year.

- Young - he got a fair bit of it and was dominant at times but when under pressure was shaky and did a bit of ball watching not pressure desperation. Without that he won’t be picked - go and live with Morris.

- Khamis - was OK but not as good as he has been. Probably not ready yet but shows positives.

- Butler - definitely showing good signs but was not killing it. Not knocking hard enough.

- JUH - was blocked out for most of the game - and was still influential if even if he went missing at times. He attracts attention and set up a couple as well as kicked one or two. His moving and run is so smooth it is scary and his talent is no1 draft level - off the chart - skills and decisions. He ran out the game but fitness wise, not sure. Won’t be long before he plays and look forward to twelve years of ‘wow did you see that’ but what I really love is his aggression he is very prepared to give to people.

- Cavarra did some good things but not enough.

- Hayes’ running ability is well above everyone out there - it’s crazy but his disposal and decision making is just not up to it unfortunately

- All in all a bit disappointing but youth is developing well and will eventually make us stronger.
The problem with Wallis' performance, as you pointed out, is that most of his possessions today were as a mid. Can't see him displacing any of our AFL team mid-fielders at that rate. He needs to be playing well as a forward at VFL level to be getting an AFL game and it looks like others are catching and/or are ahead of him (Weightman, Garcia, Bedendo, Cavarra).

It breaks my heart because he is an outstanding character and deserves more than the footy gods are giving him at the moment.

The problem with Wallis' performance, as you pointed out, is that most of his possessions today were as a mid. Can't see him displacing any of our AFL team mid-fielders at that rate. He needs to be playing well as a forward at VFL level to be getting an AFL game and it looks like others are catching and/or are ahead of him (Weightman, Garcia, Bedendo, Cavarra).

It breaks my heart because he is an outstanding character and deserves more than the footy gods are giving him at the moment.
After yesterday I can certainly see Wallis playing as a midfielder in the seniors, at least until Dunkley returns.

He has more hardness than Lipinski. I know Lipinski is a much better kick and so on but it was hardness we lacked in the second half yesterday.

Got down there just before half time. JUH was being manned by Ben Silvagni a lot, they were pushing and hitting him a fair bit off the ball but didn’t faze him much. Can see why he’s considered to be a bit off it though, I wouldn’t say his work rate was too good, probably needs to be a bit smarter with how he tells where he’s going to be leading because a lot of the time the defenders can see exactly where he’s pointing.

Seen Steve Silvagni not long after I got there but looked like he was leaving. From the dogs I seen Hunter, Jong, Williams, Scott & Daniel there, Ash Hansen too getting a snag at 3/4 time in case anyone was wondering.

Really liked the look of Khamis, reads the ball really well and took about 143 intercepts. Good kick on him to hit a target as well, he’s a good chance of a debut in the next couple of weeks.

Seemed Young was better in the first half than the second, but wouldn’t say he was poor like some have said. Made a few good spoils and took a few big contested marks, everyone loses a few contests or makes some mistakes but it doesn’t make their whole game poor.

Wallis was decent, got a spray at one point from Roarke Smith when he took the wrong option and gave away possession but apologised and got on with it.

Hayes & Smith were VFL serviceable, Bedendo showed a few good signs but needs to put on some muscle weight before being considered. Butler had a goodgame without lighting it up.

Garcia had a game that’s becoming normal for him, just keeps going. Sweet controlled the ruck, his goal in the last after a big pack mark was big at the time. Bullants players were all yelling to put him off, so his celebration “WOO!” was funny to give it back to them.

Cavarra was quiet stays wise but does a tonne of work looking to block and create space for JUH, got a late goal for his work. Weightman was pretty good but inaccurate, 2 missed set shots in quick succession from not the hardest angles was a shame. Would prefer him to not lead into the pockets/flanks as much

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
What positions would Garcia, Butler and bedendo play in our AFL 22 if they keep improving.

Randomthoughts

All Australian
May 1, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Been quite some time since been able to watch the Footscray boys and I really enjoyed being there .
I thought the Scray performed very well against the conditions mainly a determined “old fashioned” bull ants team who were more then obligating in delivering the occasional right angle handshake as well as a tricky breeze that effected some of the field and goal kicking .
Marra battled through a double team and I thought played quite well . His hands are elite outstretched . The attention Marra received created space for Domenic who runs and leads hard and loves a goal . I have a watch on him for sure . Flea played very well as did Libba Jnr ( just add a serious dose of foot speed) and Wally who battled in the middle all day . Great fun and will back to watch Footscray as soon as I can .

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Jesus Christ. I missed chunks of this game, but watching the match highlights just then...

That forward entry that lead to a marking contest in our defensive 50. As soon as the ball was spoiled, Young just stood there scared of the ball coming down onto his head. Didn't move an inch, and just watched around him as the opposition kicked a goal. Plays like that are what keeps you from ever being considered for selection again. The fact he's still doing things like this goes a long way towards explaining why the match selection committee rarely gives him a chance
People love to talk about it "all being in his head" or it being related to his 1v1s, but the #1 weakness with Young is that he has never been a natural reader of the game or the flight of the ball. He gets stuck out of position and he gambles. When it works he looks a million bucks because his athleticism is superb, but he's at the mercy of randomness to determine when he's going to end up in the right spot.

He struggles to keep it simple and play on his man because good forwards read and react to the play much faster than he does, and he struggles to play an intercepting role because he has to figure out where the best spot for him to be is repeatedly.

I'm concerned about his future.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
People love to talk about it "all being in his head" or it being related to his 1v1s, but the #1 weakness with Young is that he has never been a natural reader of the game or the flight of the ball. He gets stuck out of position and he gambles. When it works he looks a million bucks because his athleticism is superb, but he's at the mercy of randomness to determine when he's going to end up in the right spot.

He struggles to keep it simple and play on his man because good forwards read and react to the play much faster than he does, and he struggles to play an intercepting role because he has to figure out where the best spot for him to be is repeatedly.

I'm concerned about his future.

Partly agree. Did you know Young is averaging the 6th most intercepts in the league this year? From his 5 games in 2019 he was averaging the 3rd most. It's really his one and only strength. I'm not sure he'll make it anymore but in the right system he could've been a good 3rd tall intercept player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back