Game Day VFL round 3 v Northern Bullants

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Partly agree. Did you know Young is averaging the 6th most intercepts in the league this year? From his 5 games in 2019 he was averaging the 3rd most. It's really his one and only strength. I'm not sure he'll make it anymore but in the right system he could've been a good 3rd tall intercept player.
I didn't, but it doesn't really change my view - Young aggressively gambles and peels off, and has the athleticism and strength overhead to capitalise more often than not when he's in the right spot. What the stats don't show though is how often he peels off and either doesn't impact the contest or gets wrong-footed and forces a defensive switch that isn't always there. The end result is a guy who may intercept like one of the best in the league and doesn't look to get "beaten" or get goals kicked on him, but can often be a net negative.

I can see your point re: the right system, and maybe with stronger 1v1 defenders around him he could've been something. I don't think our system is so bad for intercepting defenders though. We really emphasise the usefulness of defensive half turnovers and play a system that brings this to the fore. Our defenders get more mid support than they would in most other sides, too. We may hang our KPDs out to dry at times but I don't think it's a horrible environment for Young to develop in - I just don't think he's come on as fast or as much as he needs to.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
VFL highlights

Bedendo, Weightman and Khamis with some real standout moments. Far out Garcia is quick. Going to be a really good midfielder some day, can't wait to see him play in the seniors

VFL highlights

Bedendo, Weightman and Khamis with some real standout moments. Far out Garcia is quick. Going to be a really good midfielder some day, can't wait to see him play in the seniors

I strongly believe Garcia will be playing afl footy after the bye

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Garcia’s disposal is really really reaaally scrappy, worries me a little bit. But tbf if it was good he’d probably have been top 10 in the draft. Does everything else unbelievably well. Still think You is should be playing him forward in the VFL that’s how he gets into the side, don’t really want him in our midfield anytime soon, if he tidys up the kicking then one day he’ll move in there for sure but for now there’s a spot for him at HF if he can take it

Garcia’s disposal is really really reaaally scrappy, worries me a little bit. But tbf if it was good he’d probably have been top 10 in the draft. Does everything else unbelievably well. Still think You is should be playing him forward in the VFL that’s how he gets into the side, don’t really want him in our midfield anytime soon, if he tidys up the kicking then one day he’ll move in there for sure but for now there’s a spot for him at HF if he can take it
Think the reason for Garcia disposals atm is because hes our number 1 vfl mid atm
Similar to the libba role of just trying to clear the ball to anyone near him

His disposal looked pretty good when he came off HBF and goaled on the burst.

We used to say Dunks had poor disposal and I don’t think it has improved much. We just overlook it now because he does so many other good things.

I’m not too worried about Garcia’s disposal right now. (Might change when I get a good look at him though!)

Back