VFL ROUND 4 (WILLY Vs FOOTSCRAY)

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeping in mind that this ground can make a mess of game plans and skills, this is my take on some AFL listed players.
Young - competed well in the ruck and put in a genuine effort for 4 quarters - could be looked at for role up forward
Schache - unless the ball is kicked to him 'on a plate', other aspects of his game are not up to AFL standard - no promotion from this game
West - his best attribute was tackling and he made plenty, he's not ready for AFL level but the signs are good. Kicking can be a bit hit or miss.
Boyd - tried hard in the ruck and competed well, still being managed so needs more time to be considered for promotion
Roberts - more of the same from him, does a few good defensive things but can be out-manoeuvred by smaller opponents
Webb - disappointing, didn't handle the heat in the kitchen very well, then moved forward to little effect
Van der Meer - made several fast dashes in the first half but disappeared after half time - can't be critical - first game
Cavarra - lost out there today, fumbled and pushed aside - first game blues
Khamis - looked very calm in his first game and teamed up with R. William in an impressive Sudanese duo
Lipinski - similar to Webb, just didn't have much impact, can't be promoted on today's performance
Porter - tries hard but just playing out the remainder of his contract
Dale - the best of the wing/midfield types - at least he can kick properly which is a rare Bulldog attribute - consider for promotion
Williams - did a few nice things in the first half but didn't play in the second half - must have got a knock??
Lynch - a shadow of the player we saw last year - possibly being played in multiple positions and ended up forward where he kicked one great goal but did little else
R Smith - didn't play
Gardner - didn't play - late withdrawal?
BOG for us - Reuben William - impressive half back intercepting and play-making. Do we need another half back?

Last edited:
Keeping in mind that this ground can make a mess of game plans and skills, this is my take on some AFL listed players.
Young - competed well in the ruck and put in a genuine effort for 4 quarters - could be looked at for role up forward
Schache - unless the ball is kicked to him 'on a plate', other aspects of his game are not up to AFL standard - no promotion from this game
Boyd - tried hard in the ruck and competed well, still being managed so needs more time to be considered for promotion
Roberts - more of the same from him, does a few good defensive things but can be out-manoeuvred by smaller opponents
Webb - disappointing, didn't handle the heat in the kitchen very well, then moved forward to little effect
Van der Meer - made several fast dashes in the first half but disappeared after half time - can't be critical - first game
Khamis - looked very calm in his first game and teamed up with R. William in an impressive Sudanese duo
Lipinski - similar to Webb, just didn't have much impact, can't be promoted on today's performance
Dale - the best of the wing/midfield types - at least he can kick properly which is a rare Bulldog attribute - consider for promotion
Williams - did a few nice things in the first half but didn't play in the second half - must have got a knock??
Lynch - a shadow of the player we saw last year - possibly being played in multiple positions and ended up forward where he kicked one great goal but did little else
R Smith - didn't play
BOG for us - Reuben William - impressive half back intercepting and play-making. Do we need another half back?

Thanks very much DnB

The Wash Up

Quarter 1:
Willy: 1-2-8
Foots: 3-5-23 (Wind)

Quarter 2:
Willy: 5-5-35 (Wind) 2 x Players Down
Foots: 3-9-27

Quarter 3:
Willy: 7-6-48
Foots: 4-11-35 (Wind)

Quarter 4:
Willy: 9-10-64 (Wind)
Foots: 6-12-48

Willy played the conditions better, pure and simple.

Bulldog Listed:
Laitham Vandermeer- Very slight, good skills, kicked to the wrong spots at times. (Long term project)
Fletcher Roberts- Dour defender, does not have it.
Brad Lynch- 1 Goal, Played mainly forward, low volume game.
Lewis Young- Forward and Ruck mainly, tried.
Callum Porter- Was on the bottom of a few packs, does not have it.
Patrick Lipinski- Stats have been impressive, not for me slow of mind.
Bailey Dale- 1 Goal, Got plenty of it, but not overly impressive.
Josh Schache- 1 Goal, phoned it in monstered by smaller blokes.
Lukas Webb- 1 Goal, Classiest of the players makes things happen.
Buku Khamis- Athletic, but a little slow of mind.
Ben Cavarra- Played like a man coming off a bad injury, which he was.
Tom Boyd- Walker, did very little, gaining fitness only, miles off.
Bailey Williams- Sound volume early, did not use it well, must have been injured.
Rhylee West- Works hard, but not much better than Porter.

Some of the VFL listed boys were better and suited more by the demands of the game (Very sloppy)
no one jumped up and put their hand up for selection. Willy had a boy from the C Grade Ammos
who kicked three and looked like Jordan DeGoey out there. Maybe Webb in for Gowers at a stretch
as he is a better user and finisher.

Based on today, I would sign up Reuben ASAP. Unlike a lot our quick defenders he is actually good on on one.

I'm not convinced Wood, Suckling and Dureuya have that much left in them, so he would be super handy as a medium small. Khamis and Vandermeer are a couple of seasons away and who knows with Lynch and Smith.

Agree no one put their hand up demanding selection. Thus us most disappointing. None of the "senior" VFL players looked to impose themselves in the game. If they don't want it ok let them look elsewhere.

The commentary in the last 3 minutes summed 'us' (whole list) up. 'What was lacking was quality delivery into the final 3rd of the ground.'

TBH - either improve the kicking of current players or start to overhaul the list, with a movement towards players who can kick the aggot!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on today, I would sign up Reuben ASAP. Unlike a lot our quick defenders he is actually good on on one.

I'm not convinced Wood, Suckling and Dureuya have that much left in them, so he would be super handy as a medium small. Khamis and Vandermeer are a couple of seasons away and who knows with Lynch and Smith.
William reads the play well too and I reckon he has improved shitloads over the last 12 months. Looks ready in my book to have another crack at AFL.

The Wash Up

Quarter 1:
Willy: 1-2-8
Foots: 3-5-23 (Wind)

Quarter 2:
Willy: 5-5-35 (Wind) 2 x Players Down
Foots: 3-9-27

Quarter 3:
Willy: 7-6-48
Foots: 4-11-35 (Wind)

Quarter 4:
Willy: 9-10-64 (Wind)
Foots: 6-12-48

Willy played the conditions better, pure and simple.

Bulldog Listed:
Laitham Vandermeer- Very slight, good skills, kicked to the wrong spots at times. (Long term project)
Fletcher Roberts- Dour defender, does not have it.
Brad Lynch- 1 Goal, Played mainly forward, low volume game.
Lewis Young- Forward and Ruck mainly, tried.
Callum Porter- Was on the bottom of a few packs, does not have it.
Patrick Lipinski- Stats have been impressive, not for me slow of mind.
Bailey Dale- 1 Goal, Got plenty of it, but not overly impressive.
Josh Schache- 1 Goal, phoned it in monstered by smaller blokes.
Lukas Webb- 1 Goal, Classiest of the players makes things happen.
Buku Khamis- Athletic, but a little slow of mind.
Ben Cavarra- Played like a man coming off a bad injury, which he was.
Tom Boyd- Walker, did very little, gaining fitness only, miles off.
Bailey Williams- Sound volume early, did not use it well, must have been injured.
Rhylee West- Works hard, but not much better than Porter.

Some of the VFL listed boys were better and suited more by the demands of the game (Very sloppy)
no one jumped up and put their hand up for selection. Willy had a boy from the C Grade Ammos
who kicked three and looked like Jordan DeGoey out there. Maybe Webb in for Gowers at a stretch
as he is a better user and finisher.
Good summary of individual players. Looking at Boyd, I saw him play against Collingwood and thought he was more involved this week. Had more game time this week and some kind of positive he built up some more match fitness.

West - his best attribute was tackling and he made plenty, he's not ready for AFL level but the signs are good. Kicking can be a bit hit or miss.
R Smith - didn't play

Watched the whole game, near perfect summary. Young and Dale most likely inclusions, young very good over 4 quarters, would bring much needed steucture. Thought West showed good signs, could get a run soon, skills better than expected. Vandemeer very impressive 1st game, faded but showed good signs early.

Of the footscray players, thought mccomb was good all day, kanakis looked dangerous and loved nash's attack on the ball. If boyd and schache attacked the pill like him we'd have a great fwd duo.

Good summary of individual players. Looking at Boyd, I saw him play against Collingwood and thought he was more involved this week. Had more game time this week and some kind of positive he built up some more match fitness.
That is fair enough comment, he was obviously on limited game time as Lewis Young did a lot of
Rucking, still looks a fair way off, but did impose himself with a bump at one stage. I don't think
he took a mark at all and still looks a little leg heavy. Football is a secondary issue for Tom at
the moment just happy to see him back playing.

Is Reuben William one we’re potentially looking at in the mid season draft? Really clean in tough conditions and looks ready to my eye. If we’re just going off today, he’d be the only one you could include next week. Khamis will make a player too but a few months if not the year at VFL level will do him the world of good.

I thought Dale moved pretty well, just fluffed a few shots. If he kicked them would he come straight in? Maybe as it’s a fine line with players like that.

Wanted to see big games from Lynch and Webb which didn’t happen but they bobbed with some classy things. Was a tough sort of day for them to be effective, though and as Lynch has shown, he is up to speed at AFL level.

Vandermeer showed plenty early and then understandably tired. If he can string together a month of footy there, he’ll play senior footy.

We’ll get a better gauge on Cavarro (rusty) and Boyd (not as far away as most think) next week whilst West looks a fair way off at the moment.

Liked the Young in the ruck experiment. Competed really nicely there and ran out the game well. Another fortnight of that and he may have something to offer the senior side in a different role.

Schache competed terribly. Was he miffed at getting dropped in the first place? Understandable in a way but today was the most disappointed I’ve been in him.

William reads the play well too and I reckon he has improved shitloads over the last 12 months. Looks ready in my book to have another crack at AFL.
It's the most impressive I've seen him. I'd consider.

I loved some of the flashes of West. Clearly not ready for AFL but his hands are elite, really good distributor by hand. Give him a pre-season and he'll push for selection

Maybe that's why we aren't making any changes...Bev can't polish a turd
Watched nearly 3/4 of it today and there isn't one I'd promote on what I saw.

Maybe at a stretch you could argue that Lipi was playing an inside role and that you wouldn't give him that role at senior level (more wing/half fwd). West will become a player but it's probably not this year. The talls ranged from average to unfit to appalling.

So in the short term we're waiting on Jongy and maybe Roarke Smith to make a change. Lipi an outside chance but today was generally underwhelming. Greene to recover from injury and then get fit and in form. Bailey Williams must have been injured mid 2nd qtr. I wasn't really watching 1st qtr but he had 8 touches 3 marks and 3 tackles in 1 1/2 qtrs so pretty reasonable involvement. I just can't speak to the quality of it.

In the longer term we're waiting on West and hoping on Boyd, Young and Schache.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back