VFL Game Day VFL Round 7: Richmond v Essendon (44 point win; 103-59)

Remove this Banner Ad

This week sees our VFL side head off to Punt Road for a curtain raiser to the Dreamtime game which, if we can bring home the chocolates, can really set up their season.

Essendon are sitting in eighth position with three wins, three losses and a percentage of just a tick under 102%. Richmond are two behind in tenth with two wins and four losses, but a superior percentage of almost 113%. Their last game was not a great one, however, with a 44 point loss to Casey, while Essendon came away with a narrow eight point win against the Northern Blues.

The sides clashed twice last year, with a 14 point win to Essendon at Craigieburn late in the season while Richmond won the corresponding pre-Dreamtime game by 36 points.

It's hard to foresee too many changes to Essendon's senior side after last week, so the VFL side should be going in with a similar line up. For Richmond, Ty Vickery is injured which will likely mean Liam McBean will play.

Anyway, as it is a Richmond home game, entry for non-Richmond members will cost $10, or $5 for concession card holders, students and juniors.

It's right outside Richmond station and there are a few trams that aren't far away either.

The timing of this sucks a little. Game starts at 12 meaning it's all over by 2.45. Don't know that I'd want to be hanging around 4.5hrs or so post VFL waiting for the afl match. Yeah sure could hit the pub and I might do that. If the game started at 2pm the timing would have been better. Now I'm considering watching at home then heading in.

The timing of this sucks a little. Game starts at 12 meaning it's all over by 2.45. Don't know that I'd want to be hanging around 4.5hrs or so post VFL waiting for the afl match. Yeah sure could hit the pub and I might do that. If the game started at 2pm the timing would have been better. Now I'm considering watching at home then heading in.
It certainly would make for a rather long pub session, wouldn't it?

You're right, two hours later would have been better. But television wins the day here.

Notice a J.Langford has played 2 or 3 games for us in the VFL this year. Is he any relation to Kyle Langford..??
He's been named in one side where he didn't play and no, he isn't.

Anyone else heading to this? Think I will avoid the allure of it being the televised game.

If you've never been to Punt Road I recommend it. Great place to watch to the footy second only to TEAC Oval and, of course, the spiritual home.

There are actually 3 games...

The VFL game at PRO @12, the 'Rio Tinto cup' indigenous match at the G @3pm, then the AFL game @7.25. Which is why there is such a long break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else heading to this? Think I will avoid the allure of it being the televised game.

If you've never been to Punt Road I recommend it. Great place to watch to the footy second only to TEAC Oval and, of course, the spiritual home.
Maybe- I'll see.

There are actually 3 games...

The VFL game at PRO @12, the 'Rio Tinto cup' indigenous match at the G @3pm, then the AFL game @7.25. Which is why there is such a long break.

TV rights hold a bigger privelage than a token game Saturday.

Every televised VFL game starts at 12 now

TV rights hold a bigger privelage than a token game Saturday.

Every televised VFL game starts at 12 now

We've got a few curtain raisers, and they all start later. I suspect the TV goes to a game that's on at 12 rather than the game moving to 12 for the TV. In this case it just happens to be a win/win.

Richmond probably prefers the crowd to the TV after all (VFL ratings aren't enough to get excited about).

Team;-

Hickey J.Langford Steinberg
Fantasia Gwilt McNeice
Tipungwuti Ashby K.Langford
Purcell* O'Brien Aylett
Heavyside McKernan Pears

Giles Schroder Coghlan

Dalgleish Edwards McKenna Hams
Polkinghorne Browne Byrne Hardingham
Kavanagh

Not named:- Marigliani Freezer Laverde Tagliabue

Laverde interesting maybe he will debut in seniors?

Team;-

Hickey J.Langford Steinberg
Fantasia Gwilt McNeice
Tipungwuti Ashby K.Langford
Purcell* O'Brien Aylett
Heavyside McKernan Pears

Giles Schroder Coghlan

Dalgleish Edwards McKenna Hams
Polkinghorne Browne Byrne Hardingham
Kavanagh

Not named:- Marigliani Freezer Laverde Tagliabue

Laverde interesting maybe he will debut in seniors?
He's probably being held over as the first choice emergency.

Exactly what Jack Package didn't want.

We've got a few curtain raisers, and they all start later. I suspect the TV goes to a game that's on at 12 rather than the game moving to 12 for the TV. In this case it just happens to be a win/win.

Richmond probably prefers the crowd to the TV after all (VFL ratings aren't enough to get excited about).

I reckon you will find the game times are moved to suit the TV, do you reckon it would have started at 12.12 if it wasn't on TV?

I reckon you will find the game times are moved to suit the TV, do you reckon it would have started at 12.12 if it wasn't on TV?

Big difference between a few mins and a few hours.

I'm saying there were always going to be 3 games on Saturday played on after each other, and with the Rio Tinto cup being the 'official/usual' curtain raiser, it was always going to be VFL, then RT Cup, then AFL.

Big difference between a few mins and a few hours.

I'm saying there were always going to be 3 games on Saturday played on after each other, and with the Rio Tinto cup being the 'official/usual' curtain raiser, it was always going to be VFL, then RT Cup, then AFL.

I know the Essendon V Collingwood VFL match a few weeks ago was moved from 2pm to 11.42 because it was televised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back