VFL Game Day VFL Round 7: Richmond v Essendon (44 point win; 103-59)

Remove this Banner Ad

Browne was outstanding, McKenna up and about, Gwilt did what he liked and Richmond were pretty awful.

Sidenote, Alex and Tom the turd that walks are cousins apparently

Browne, Kav, O'Brien, Steinberg, Gwilt top 5 for mine.

O'Brien - had high 20s and kicked more today. Reasonable game.

Pears - kicked a couple of goals and was ok.

Edwards - busy early, quiet 2nd qtr but finished ok in 2nd half. Moves well and creative.

Browne - had most possessions for match providing link up off half back and wing. Used the ball pretty well despite a couple of clangers. Must be in the frame for the squad of 25 next week.

Steinberg - good match intercepting and beating his opponent all game.

Kav - dominated the first quarter. Was quiter middle stages before having a decent last qtr.

K.Langford - reasonable but not enough to push afl.

Laverde - didn't play.

Dalgliesh - quiet early and fairly average overall.

Hams - same as Dalgliesh

Gwilt - very good (a rock) down back all match.

Aylett - ok but not enough to be pushing afl.

McKernan - didn't play.

McKenna - looks a likely type up forward. Uses his body well for a small bloke and is a decent set shot kick. Could be a handy small forward next year.

Fantasia - fairly quiet. Did ok but not enough to warrant afl.

Hardingham - very good when he moved to defence. Pretty close to being top 5 best.

Polkinghorne - knocked out.

Heavyside - injured early.

Purcell - looked good.

Schroder - very good 1st half in close faded out 2nd half (although they seemed to give EFC listed players more time on ball 2nd half)

J.Langford - like the look of this guy. Should be in the mix for a rookie spot next season. Kicked some goals, marked and moved well. Looks like a young version of Podsiadly - hope he doesn't wait until he's 28 to make it!

Maybe I'm being negative but I'm not sure the VFL side is being picked in the best way to develop our youngsters into AFL players. For example:

Hams - At his size he simply has to develop the ability to play as a small forward yet he spends the hole game playing as midfielder. This means when he does break into the AFL side he's going to be spending the majority of the time in an unfamiliar position.

Aylett - I don't see the benefit of playing him fulltime off the HBF. I'd much rather have him as part of the midfield rotation and allow Kav and Browne to spend time on half back line.

Maybe I'm being negative but I'm not sure the VFL side is being picked in the best way to develop our youngsters into AFL players. For example:

Hams - At his size he simply has to develop the ability to play as a small forward yet he spends the hole game playing as midfielder. This means when he does break into the AFL side he's going to be spending the majority of the time in an unfamiliar position.

Aylett - I don't see the benefit of playing him fulltime off the HBF. I'd much rather have him as part of the midfield rotation and allow Kav and Browne to spend time on half back line.

Hams is a midfielder. Kav is a midfielder. Browne is a running defender.. Ablett is down the list of midfielders

Happy with the game today. Just showed the two main areas we are lacking in depth. A key forward and depth in the ruck. Anyways;

Alex Browne (19k, 10hb, 6 marks, 1t, 1 goal) super happy with my boy. The touch is coming back to match up with the class and confidence that never left. The run and dash was impressive today and taking the game on.

Nick O'Brien (19k, 8hb, 8m, 2t) typical NoB game today. Didn't work hard enough to get into space and threw it onto the boot more. A thing I've noticed creeping into his game is looking for cheap possessions. His endurance should see him be in space and NOT try and insinuate to give it to space.

James Gwilt (17k, 7hb, 8m, 4t) a typical Gwilt game. A rock in defence and soundly beat his opponent for the most part. Used the ball well with his experience a telling factor deep.

Elliott Kavanagh (17k, 6hb, 6m, 6t, 1goal 2 behinds) one of the best games I've seen Kav play. Quiet in the middle parts when the Tigers got back into it but set us up at the start and end of the match. Loved his work in tight and that ability to spread that ant555 has been mentioning. Loved his pressure and ability to get forward today which was quite telling.

Shaun Edward (8k, 10hb, 10m, 1t, 1 goal) another of the better games I've seen. A real team game from him today. That pulled kick to Faz was a player who has matured from boy to man. Could really come into senior calculations sooner rather than later if he has a couple more games of similar ilk.

Lachlan Dalgleish (8k, 8hb, 3m) disappointing ga,e from Dal. A couple of occasions could have utilised his speed but decided against. Kicking let him down to.

Of the VFL guys, I liked the look of Purcell, a 20 year old from the VAFA (strathmoreFC). Didn't look out of place in his limited opportunities.
Jack Langford popped up and kicked 3 in a nice cameo from the key(medium) forward. Little Ben McNeice from Northcote Park also did some nice things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having multiple guys that can run with the ball was key to busting richmond open today, Edwards, Aylett, Browne and Fanta just took the really good release handballs and took off, really should have won by more tbh, Richmond were roundly unimpressive.

Unsurprisingly Giles does his best work when he has to go solo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back