VFL Game Day VFL Round 7: Sandringham vs Essendon, Trevor Barker Beach Oval, Sunday 19/05/19, 2:10 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon meet Sandringham at Trevor Barker yet again, the two sides having met there in every clash between them. Sandy hold an edge over the Dons, winning 4 of the last 5, but head into this match with a 3-2, 86% record whilst coming off a thrilling 1 point win against Collingwood, whilst Essendon are second with a 4-1, 190% record after losing the previous game to Casey by 41 points.

Sandringham won a thriller against Collingwood at Victoria Park, kicking 6 straight behinds in time on to sneak past Collingwood, the last one scored with less than 30 seconds on the clock. Billy Longer and Hunter Clark put on a show in the middle, Longer getting 71 hit outs, compared to Collingwood's 12, feeding the ball to Clark's 28 touches. Sam Rowe was the main target up front, kicking 2 goals as the secondary ruck.

Essendon had a disappointing loss to Casey by 41 points, winning only the one quarter by which time the game was over. Jordan Ridley shone in the losing side, he only had 12 touches but kicked 2 goals shifting between defence and attack. Dylan Clarke was prolific once again, collecting the ball 28 times over the game, whilst Kyle Langford had 24 possessions and a goal playing through the middle of the ground.

Essendon should be able to cover for Sandy, even if it isn't a happy hunting ground for the Dons. Essendon by 43. Possible side:

Aaron Heppell - Michael Hartley - Matthew Dea
Josh Tynan - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Ben McNiece
David Zaharakis - David Myers - Ray Connellan
Jordan Houlahan - Noah Gown - Irving Mosquito
Heath Hocking - Daniel Hanna - Mark Baguley
Zachary Clarke - Jake Long - Jayden Laverde

Danny Younan - Wilson Berry - Liam McKenna - Kurt Aylett
Ben Fennell - Jacob Brown - Luke Goetz - Liam Read
23P: Dylan Landt

Last edited:
It's actually ridiculous, we play Sandy at Windy Hill as Essendon for the first time ever later this year. 7 straight games away from home.

Jordan Ridley - Michael Hartley - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
Aaron Heppell - Matthew Dea - David Myers
Wilson Berry - Dylan Clarke - Jake Long
Jordan Houlahan - Heath Hocking - Irving Mosquito
Dylan Landt - Edyn Sibbald - Danny Younan
Zachary Clarke - Jayden Laverde - Brayden Ham

Jacob Brown - Luke Goetz - Daniel Guccione - Bruno Laguda
Liam McKenna - Jacob McQueen - Liam Read - Josh Tynan
23P: Tynan Smith

They have one more AFL player than us. I would expect McKenna, McQueen and Tynan to play, as well as either Goetz or Read. Must win game.

Sandy have a very good group of AFL guys and the VFL listed guys are good, if not better than ours.

Should be a good game. It’s always cold af down at Sandy so hoping it’s on the net to catch this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd disagree with that first statement. Their results suggest that they're a below average side, only beating Frankston and Collingwood by a combined 3 points the past two games, two teams we beat by a combined 158.

I'll agree to the second one because they're a bogey side of ours.

Sandy have a very good group of AFL guys and the VFL listed guys are good, if not better than ours.

Should be a good game. It’s always cold af down at Sandy so hoping it’s on the net to catch this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soft :p

Going to be very important today and an opportunity for a number of guys to put there hand up for a senior berth.

The senior midfield was reasonable last night but a number of spots at AFL level are still up for grabs imho. With a good showing, I would be hoping that Ridley can come back in as to Matt Dea who never shirks a contest. Just hoping for an injury free game for Laverde more than anything.

Also, we should have a David Myers watch cause he should romp in 30+ possies today. That'll enable him to waltz back into the AFL side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan Clarke from 40m straight through the centre.
How many knots is it blowing out there?

I was enjoying listening to Casey radio until the second qtr. talk about bias. Just head out Casey way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back