VFL Game Day VFL Round 8: Footscray vs Essendon (69-73 loss)

Remove this Banner Ad

This.

Is it that bloody hard to set up a stream? It's actually pathetic. If it's a rights issue then 7 should GAGF
They do member surveys every year, would be something worth writing on there and see if they'll do it at a club level. They live tweet the game and do VFL radio I think. Could be a money issue I suppose but that won't last forever. The VFL itself streams one game a week and then Channel 7 broadcasts them sometimes. I don't think it'd be a rights issue.

Langford wants a spot haha!

Francis just got absolutely crunched going back with the flight. Got up, very very ginger

It's s shame McKernan is back on the rookie list. Would surely be in line to take Stewart's spot if he doesn't perform this week.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridley 12 marks i hear. Come back with a bang.
Saw him at the VFL a few weeks ago and he is an absolute twig. For a kid of his size to come in and play two very good games on much bigger players is s credit to him. I think DPS had wraps on him? Pre draft? I now agree, he is a gem. I think he and Pidge will be the best players from the draft.

Saw him at the VFL a few weeks ago and he is an absolute twig. For a kid of his size to come in and play two very good games on much bigger players is s credit to him. I think DPS had wraps on him? Pre draft? I now agree, he is a gem. I think he and Pidge will be the best players from the draft.

Must say id never heard of him when we called his name out.

Not sure Langford's stats, but he looked too good for VFL. Quick and clean tonight. Ridley looked good. Francis could've kicked goal of the year but lowered his eyes, otherwise he went missing for parts. It's almost like his leading patterns are off or something. Draper took some nice grabs, including a hanger.

Dea was pretty good. Hocking seemed to have a lot of it but made a few shocking errors. Luey was poor in a few critical contests but also did some nice things. Smack looked too good and dangerous most of the game. Kicked a couple of good sausages and absolutely butchered a soda.

That was how I saw it, although I did miss half of it watching a couple of young girls almost cry with excitement seeing Darcy Parish and AMT.

It's quite baffling the bulldogs are pushing hard into Ballarat, the set up is fantastic there.

Must say id never heard of him when we called his name out.
Me too. I think a few experts had him around our range but most had him lower. Im pretty sure DPS liked him. It is not till you see them that you can form an opinion.

Not sure Langford's stats, but he looked too good for VFL. Quick and clean tonight. Ridley looked good. Francis could've kicked goal of the year but lowered his eyes, otherwise he went missing for parts. It's almost like his leading patterns are off or something. Draper took some nice grabs, including a hanger.

Dea was pretty good. Hocking seemed to have a lot of it but made a few shocking errors. Luey was poor in a few critical contests but also did some nice things. Smack looked too good and dangerous most of the game. Kicked a couple of good sausages and absolutely butchered a soda.

That was how I saw it, although I did miss half of it watching a couple of young girls almost cry with excitement seeing Darcy Parish and AMT.

It's quite baffling the bulldogs are pushing hard into Ballarat, the set up is fantastic there.
What happened with Redman missing with a minute or so to go?

My thoughts from last nights game.

Bloody cold night but descent crowd and Whitten Oval is a top class facility. Like it a bit better during the day though when its a few degrees warmer:)

Thought the overall quality of the game was just ok. Very slow moving and skills down a little due to it looking a little slippery. The game went in ebbs and flow and it didn't really look like either side was going to take control. We had our chances but other than Smack we didn't have anyone reliable down forward to take control. We have been fortunate lately that Boyse has been able to bob up and help the listed players but no such luck last night.

Smack:

Wasn't dominate but still gave him BOG just because he kept providing a target and was really our only threat. Kicked 4 and probably could have had more. He celebrates with the best of them so can really provide confidence within the group that he can get the job done so they do look for him. Took some really strong marks.

Langford:

Dished up more of what he's been dishing up lately, and that is class. Was involved in the game for the majority of the match and is clearly to good for this level. A passage of play that typifies what he can do that happened right in front of me was something few can do. The ball was on the deck about 60 out from our goal and Langers and a few others were in the area. Langers went down one grabbed the ball and in the same motion shimmied around traffic whilst accelerating away and kicked to a target 10 mtrs out that had two guys on him and put it to advantage. The guy dropped what should have been a mark but I thought it was play of the night. Langers will never be a Jobe player because he doesn't have the physicality but in a good side he's going to be the cherry on top. Teams will want to send defensive players to him.

Francis:

Wasn't super involved in the game and not sure that he hit the scoreboard but looks to be moving well and busted a gut. Two bits of play really stood out for me that just indicate that this guy is something special First was around 50 mtr out on the defensive boundary he went to hit a target 20 mtrs further along on the boundary and it went sailing out. I kept an eye purely on him to see how he would react. He looked disappointed in himself but started tracking back to get back in defensive position whilst the whole time not taking his eye off the guy taking the free kick. The ball was kicked over his head to the oncoming forwards and defenders and he just kept watching that ball. It was clearly going over his head but without taking his eye off the ball he pushed hard back, jumped and took the mark and got absolutely creamed. He couldn't get up off his back for a couple of minutes and somebody else had to take the kick. The trainer came over, he got up, proceeded to wave him off and jogged upfield. This kid is a competitor and I'm backing him in 100%.

Second play was he took a ball on the 50 mtr defensive line and all but a couple were in front of him. He spotted a target on the forward 50 on his own that mere mortals wouldn't have thought of or even had vision to see and nailed a 50-60 mtr flat/fast kick that hit him and he trotted off toward goal. Very few could have made that kick and he made it look easy. It was such a good play that I can't even remember if the guy went on and kicked the goal because I was so blown away.

Begley:

Didn't hit the scoreboard that I can recall but I thought he got more involved. Looked to be getting more chances through the midfield which was nice. Repeat efforts is this guys trick and is super competitive. I have said it before and I will say it again, give him midfield minutes. He's that missing piece in the midfield I feel in that he hunts the ball and the man and is just all power. I feel he's going to be that type of player that will only get true recognition from his own supporters. Like a Jason Johnson type that is just very valuable for team success.

-I thought Dea did some nice things and has lots of courage. Great depth player.
-Merrett kicked a couple of important goals. Hocking was as industrious as ever.
-Morgan I thought was making progress but for the third week in a row took his eye off the ball in traffic. Can't do that at AFL level or you will get punished on the scoreboard.
-Draper is progressing really well. Took some great marks and his kicking is very good for somebody learning the game. He could be anything.

Thanks for that KM, how did Ridley go?
To be honest I was surprised when I saw that he had 12 marks as reported on the bomber website. He clearly went way better than I thought. Having said that it was a messy game and I didn't feel that it was a particularly free flowing game so maybe a lot of his touches were more handballs.

Last week he was in my opinion much more influential due to his hitting targets by foot. He looks to be a very talented player.

Me too. I think a few experts had him around our range but most had him lower. Im pretty sure DPS liked him. It is not till you see them that you can form an opinion.

I thought he'd go first round to port, Sydney or the dogs.will be a quality defender when he is ready to come in.

Caught 3/4 last night
Begley looking pretty good. Still a while off but looks like a bull.

Langford was sharp. Ridley composed
Draper moves well too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back