VFL Game Day VFL Round 8: Richmond vs Essendon, Punt Road Oval, Saturday 25/05/19, 2:30 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we lacked a bit of composure and speed at times

Clarke and Mozzie my two favourite players for the day

Had the same thoughts. We lacked composure going forward.

Connelan/McKenna had a lot of inside 50's in the middle part of the game. If you change that to Mynott &/or a Hocking, they would (hopefully) have the composure to lower the eyes and hit a target going forward and not just throw it on the boot like those VFL guys did.

Terribly disappointing day today. We lacked some polish and composure whilst we looked our best after that last quarter scrap that Dylan Clarke led. We were hungry and aggressive at both player and ball. A few positives to take out of today though.

Good; Mosquito is building nicely. Kicked 2.2, should have had at least 3 but is finding more ways to stay involved. Definitely a crowd favorite.

Dylan Clarke; Led all stat getters today. Looked to get on the spread more which doesn't come naturally and it showed. Still, he just worked and worked and worked. Led a last quarter skirmish against the Tigers which revved up the boys.

Matt Dea; was good without being outstanding. Summed up our day really.

Riley Bowman; As has been mentioned, really did some terrific things today which included kicking a crucial last quarter goal. Still a bean pole but the tools are there. With us keen, I would bite the bullet and take him in the mid season draft.

Bad;

Not sure we had a definitive winner today. Clarke may have led the stat getters, Mynott may have found a lot of it but the effet they had on the game was poor overall. Our much vaunted KPP's were null in void today. Brown (goal less), Hartley (4 marks), Sibbald (0 goals) were all well below par today.

Ugly;

The umpiring was horrendous at times. Riley Bowman had a clear mark in front not paid and was instead thrown up right in front of the grandstand. Another example was a Tiger sliding in and taking the legs of an Essendon player and instead of the sliding rule was given as high. Countless poor decisions were made today which may not have helped but it definitely would have made our job easier fighting against 21 people on the field.

Sounds like we made the mistake of engaging the tiges in a scrap, never going to end well

I would argue it was the other way around. We tried to play pretty football and it didn't work. When we just got back to see - ball - get - ball we looked so much better.

One of the highlights was Clarke putting Townsend on his arse multiple times when the little s**t tried to rough him up and still dominated the last.

One of the highlights was Clarke putting Townsend on his arse multiple times when the little **** tried to rough him up and still dominated the last.
And the Richmond fans getting offended when I pointed out that he was dominating at the same time.

As far as a summary of players goes:

#8 Martin Gleeson: Was mostly playing on a win in the first half, but struggled a bit. Went to half back and looked a little more settled. Overall, needed the run.

#12 Mark Baguley: Okay without being great. Was important in the second quarter

#14 Jordan Ridley: Invisible. Worst game I've seen him play.

#22 Irving Mosquito: Love the "monster" (their nickname). Quick, great attitude, but needs to tidy up his disposal

#23 David Myers: Good hands in close. Solid game.

#24 Jordan Houlahan: Honestly looks like the bye can't come quick enough. Was invisible today.

#28 Mitch Brown: Bad game, topped off by what looked like a bad wrist injury, which makes me feel like s**t when I say it was probably his worst game for us.

#30 Brandon Zerk-Thatcher: Hm. Had his best game of the year last week but his stocks have fallen this year. Maybe a bit of 2nd year blues.

#33 Brayden Ham: Kicked a nice goal, but drifts in and out a bit. Hopefully that's just a few pre-seasons away,

#34 Jake Long: Had some very good moments but needs to find more of the pill

#36 Michael Hartley: Held the defence together with Dea. Guy is too good for VFL level.

#37 Dylan Clarke: Best on for me. Absolute pig in the last, kept us in the game.

#39 Trent Mynott: Was quiet, but will build back up.

#46 Tom Jok: Was okay. Needs to assert himself more.

#49 Matt Dea: Solid game again, he and Hartley have been great in the VFL together.

I thought Zerk Thatcher was really good.

Definitely recall him being involved in a pack in the goal square in the 3rd when he conceded the mark but was shoved squarely in the back.

I cant recall him conceding much else let alone anything that stood out as a defensive error.

He took a number of marks and played a more attacking role than usual.

Turnover in the last hurt but we needed to be taking the risk and the inboard pass got cut off. That happens.

ogfWArM.png

3PTpCJ4.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back