VFL Game Day VFL Round 8: Richmond vs Essendon, Punt Road Oval, Saturday 25/05/19, 2:30 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

This week in the VFL is Essendon's next big test against flag favourites and undefeated Richmond, who have won four of the past five meetings between the two clubs, but crucially Essendon won the last meeting in the VFL semi final last season. Richmond have won their last 5 games (obviously) and have dealt with every challenge that has come their way whilst second placed Essendon have only dropped one of their past 5 to Casey.

Richmond defeated Box Hille today by 8 behinds, in a see-sawing affair, Richmond kept the Hawkes scoreless in the first quarter to take a 14 point lead to quarter time before they conceded the next 6 goals to be 22 points down at half time, however they kicked 9 of the last 11 to win the tight contest. Dan Butler put his hand up for a recall to the seniors with 17 disposals and 3 goals whilst Patrick Naish had 28 disposals in the guts.

Essendon lead from start to finish against Sandringham, getting out to a 5 goal lead at quarter time, but it was a game of momentum swings and Sandy fought back with 5 goals to 1 in the second before Essendon kicked 7 goals to 6 in the second half to round out 13 point winners. Danny Younan had a day out with 4 goals and crucially the first two of the last quarter, whilst David Myers' presence in the middle was crucial, having 29 touches and 3 goals.

It'll be a tough test for both sides, having similar amounts of VFL listed players playing but Essendon crucially getting up to 6 AFL players back this week, so Dons by 15.

Possible side:

Jordan Ridley - Michael Hartley - Matthew Dea
Aaron Heppell - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Martin Gleeson
Tom Jok - Dylan Clarke - Brayden Ham
Jordan Houlahan - Mitch Brown - Jayden Laverde
Irving Mosquito - Shaun McKernan - Danny Younan
Zachary Clarke - David Myers - Trent Mynott

Jake Long - Liam McKenna - Heath Hocking - Josh Tynan
Jake McQueen - Luke Goetz - Edyn Sibbald - Wilson Berry
23P: Tynan Smith

Last edited:

Their KPP stocks for this game are:

CCJ or Mabior Chol as the ruck
Ben Miller as a key defender
Hugh Beasley as a key defender
Joel Cusack as a forward/ruck (who has kicked 1 goal in his vfl career, and 8 goals in 6 games in the EFL this year. Hasn't been named in the bests)
Billy Coates as a key defender (named in bests twice this year for SKOB)

That's pretty grim reading.

Their KPP stocks for this game are:

CCJ or Mabior Chol as the ruck
Ben Miller as a key defender
Hugh Beasley as a key defender
Joel Cusack as a forward/ruck (who has kicked 1 goal in his vfl career, and 8 goals in 6 games in the EFL this year. Hasn't been named in the bests)
Billy Coates as a key defender (named in bests twice this year for SKOB)

That's pretty grim reading.

To be fair, it has been the smalls holding the fort in the Tigers case.

Our KPP's should cover the Tigies talls, comfortably. It will rest on our game plan and our pressure on the ball carrier that is going to determine this one.

To be fair, it has been the smalls holding the fort in the Tigers case.

Our KPP's should cover the Tigies talls, comfortably. It will rest on our game plan and our pressure on the ball carrier that is going to determine this one.
Their strength in the VFL previous to this year has been the talls in their squad. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beasley shift forward to provide a contest, because I can definitely see Hartley doing a lock down job on Cusack and letting BZT/Ridley/Gleeson do intercept work

Their lack of quality talls is good to hear - I think we have been really missing Draper, though I didn’t see the Sandy game. How did the new guy go in the ruck? (Not Read, the other guy)

Their lack of quality talls is good to hear - I think we have been really missing Draper, though I didn’t see the Sandy game. How did the new guy go in the ruck? (Not Read, the other guy)
Goetz is demonstratively etter than Read at this stage, although Longer is pretty much the best ruck in the VFL. Honestly as long as Clarke is fit in the two's we won't miss him that much.

They have Jack Graham and Luke English returning for them this week, and Collier-Dawkins was likely the held over emergency as well so I'd expect him to slide back in and someone else to slide out. It looks as if Coates (SKOB Key Defender) injured himself early in the game so their KPP stocks are near on rooted, and we have three key forwards likely to return this week...

Hi There,

Coming over from Tassie and going to the VFL before Dreamtime and was enquiring whether both teams share the attendance which allows us to use our members card for free admission or just a Tigers home game?

Thanks

Hi There,

Coming over from Tassie and going to the VFL before Dreamtime and was enquiring whether both teams share the attendance which allows us to use our members card for free admission or just a Tigers home game?

Thanks
Essendon members get $5 entry.

Side:

Ray Connellan - Michael Hartley - Matthew Dea
Brayden Ham - Jordan Ridley - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
Martin Gleeson - David Myers - Jake Long
Jordan Houlahan - Mitchell Brown - Tom Jok
Mark Baguley - Heath Hocking - Irving Mosquito
Zachary Clarke - Dylan Clarke - Trent Mynott

Wilson Berry - Luke Goetz - Aaron Heppell - Dylan Landt
Liam McKenna - Josh Tynan - Edyn Sibbald - Dan Younan
23P: Riley Bowman

Bowman is a 19 year old forward/ruck from Dandenong. eDPS would know more about him

Given both teams will likely have one held over, we look like we have 15 AFL players, they look like 12. They have 6 KPP's/third talls in their 27, we have 9. Of the bench I'd expect Heppell, McKenna, Tynan, Younan and Wilson to get a gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Side:

Ray Connellan - Michael Hartley - Matthew Dea
Brayden Ham - Jordan Ridley - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
Martin Gleeson - David Myers - Jake Long
Jordan Houlahan - Mitchell Brown - Tom Jok
Mark Baguley - Heath Hocking - Irving Mosquito
Zachary Clarke - Dylan Clarke - Trent Mynott

Wilson Berry - Luke Goetz - Aaron Heppell - Dylan Landt
Liam McKenna - Josh Tynan - Edyn Sibbald - Dan Younan
23P: Riley Bowman

Bowman is a 19 year old forward/ruck from Dandenong. eDPS would know more about him

Given both teams will likely have one held over, we look like we have 15 AFL players, they look like 12. They have 6 KPP's/third talls in their 27, we have 9. Of the bench I'd expect Heppell, McKenna, Tynan, Younan and Wilson to get a gig.

Been sitting on this one for a couple of weeks but we have spoken to him about possiby drafting him mid season. Crossed from Dandenong Stingrays to Sandringham Dragons this year (as an over ager) and has been used more in the fwd half than in the ruck.

Big lump of a lad in the old school "throw your body weight around" mould. Not athletic but can use his positioning to do well at stoppages.

The boy from Crib Point FNC is no certainty but we have definitely made contact at least 2 times I have been made aware of. Frankston disappointed not to sign him onto the Dolphins list.

Good luck to the kid on the weekend

Been sitting on this one for a couple of weeks but we have spoken to him about possiby drafting him mid season. Crossed from Dandenong Stingrays to Sandringham Dragons this year (as an over ager) and has been used more in the fwd half than in the ruck.

Big lump of a lad in the old school "throw your body weight around" mould. Not athletic but can use his positioning to do well at stoppages.

The boy from Crib Point FNC is no certainty but we have definitely made contact at least 2 times I have been made aware of. Frankston disappointed not to sign him onto the Dolphins list.

Good luck to the kid on the weekend
I'm a fan, and would be a good one to develop next to Draper. My biggest annoyance is that if we do cut Clarke at the end of the year, we'll have to use him as a mostly ruck for the early part of next year. Pickett, Bowman, Eastland as a trio is something I wouldn't mind at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back