VFL Game Day VFL Round 11: Essendon vs Box Hille, Windy Hill, Saturday 15/06/19, 2:10 PM

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
We lead 4.3 to 4.2 at Quarter Time... score reflects the game so far.

Hawks playing a pretty strong team today (Roughead, Mitch Lewis, Schoenmakers amongst others) and have looked pretty strong on the rebound.

We’ve been stronger around the contests.

Myers, Dea and Houlahan have been the most impressive for me so far.

You jest.

When Tippa is on, he is great but when he is not, it’s like playing a man short. Last night apart from 1 good mark, a missed shot on goal, I can’t remember when he impacted the game at all. At least bags give you something every game. Just need a more consistent effort from someone in that role IMO.

Bizarrely enough, he’s actually serious :drunk:

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Not much to report that quarter. Very much played between both 50m arcs.

Hardly our best VFL game for the season but we lead 40-38 at the long break.

Best so far would include Myers, Dea & Mitch Brown has played his role well. Gleeson also looking good in patches.

Didn't get a lot of touches but those he did were all class and highly influential. Now compare that with Josh Green and Travis Colyer.
Tbh Colyer was brilliant a few years ago for that one year

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Any general thoughts on who played well for us? Did Brown play if so was he good?

I thought Brown was serviceable (7 touches and 2.0) in what was, at times, a scrappy defensive game. Their defensive talls regularly took marks off our entries. With the short break as well it would be very unlikely he will play against the Eagles.

Myers was probably BOG for us... followed by Matt Dea & Marty Gleeson, who looked in good touch. I think we will probably see him within the next 2-3 weeks (but like Brown, unlikely against the Eagles).

The VFL team had a lot of good players not out there today so it was another very good win.

I think the fact that all 3 of Francis, Baguley and Clarke missed today indicates that one will come in for Stringer and the other two will be travelling to Perth as emergencies.

Apologies for the lack of updates throughout the game... I literally cannot watch and write updates/social media etc at the same time. :drunk:

Apologies for the lack of updates throughout the game... I literally cannot watch and write updates/social media etc at the same time. :drunk:
Even harder with a beverage taking up one hand.

Myers was probably BOG for us... followed by Matt Dea & Marty Gleeson, who looked in good touch. I think we will probably see him within the next 2-3 weeks (but like Brown, unlikely against the Eagles).
Gleeson will still find it hard to dislodge someone from the back 6. It's not a bad thing, keep playing well and be ready when your chance comes.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
Out of the younger guy's, I heard Snelling, Long and Ham where good. Gleeson, Myers and Dea for the older guy's.

Important win in the context of the season. Next 2 games are vital however, Port look to be a contender and after them we need to get some breathing space to the likes of Footscray and Williamstown with a win against a possible top 8 side in Werribee. Looking forward to us vs Footscray, the two best defenses in the league so far this year.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Important win in the context of the season. Next 2 games are vital however, Port look to be a contender and after them we need to get some breathing space to the likes of Footscray and Williamstown with a win against a possible top 8 side in Werribee. Looking forward to us vs Footscray, the two best defenses in the league so far this year.
I think we’re going to struggle with the Thursday GWS game. It means some players will be carried over.

I think we’re going to struggle with the Thursday GWS game. It means some players will be carried over.
For me whoever misses of Clarke, Baguley and Francis must play on the Sunday, otherwise they go without a game in 3 weeks without an injury. I suspect Brown may be held over.

some could be managed as well, and have limited game time after half time.

some could be managed as well, and have limited game time after half time.
I would rather simply not playing them since we're playing a genuine contender in Port. Too important a game in the context of the season to play funny buggers in that regard.

I would rather simply not playing them since we're playing a genuine contender in Port. Too important a game in the context of the season to play funny buggers in that regard.
I think the preparation for the AFL team will take precedence.

Back