2nds VFL Round 9 - Geelong V Sandringham. 1PM, Sunday 5th June at Kardinia Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure it would be Kersten necessarily making way for Clark. I think there are other options.
What other options? Play all of Hawkins, Clark, Kersten, Smith, Stanley plus throw in Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson, Kolodjashnij and Mackie? That would be one of the tallest sides in history and in serious danger of being labelled "top heavy".

Menegola is huge (for a mid). Fair pace and runs hard all day.
The thing I liked about Gore was his running - no waste, working in and out of the corridor. Menegola used similar patterns. Got to lots of contests, won his fair share. He demands the ball like a confident footballer.

His kicking is good including one left foot 45m kick to good advantage for a team mate. A very good start.

Ps - still like Sexton! Quieter today but he can do some ridiculously good things for a small player.

The very least they should do (if he is that good)..is to do what they do with Pods. Put him next to Lonergan and Henderson..and tell him to outmark them. As you say..judge him on his trick , not what can be trained into him. To go with the hands..does he have spring..or is it more a lead and mark type... sort of Kersten ish. 194cm is not super tall in todays footy, he would need some elevation.

Not great leap but he took one mark in a 4 man pack that he had no right to bring down - put one hand to the ball and seemed to drag it down to his chest as the defenders tried to stop him. I just chuckled. The others were just clunks, some on the lead, some on the single opponent in a contest.

At this stage I would only compare his hands with McGovern (Adelaide) but thats a start.

no one seems to mention James Tsitas, he seems to be in the best players every week, dont know much about him. is he a prospect for the AFL list next year?

He failed to get drafted in 2013. He is the son of former Geelong boxer now trainer Jimmy Tsitas.
From what limited footy that I have seen this year he is pretty tough at the contest. He is prepared to get in and under. I thinkthat there was some questions about his disposal but my memory may fail me here.
You can see a bit of dated stuff about him here.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/james-tsitas

What other options? Play all of Hawkins, Clark, Kersten, Smith, Stanley plus throw in Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson, Kolodjashnij and Mackie? That would be one of the tallest sides in history and in serious danger of being labelled "top heavy".
Let's play Vardy aswell, just to really stretch the opposition:)

Not great leap but he took one mark in a 4 man pack that he had no right to bring down - put one hand to the ball and seemed to drag it down to his chest as the defenders tried to stop him. I just chuckled. The others were just clunks, some on the lead, some on the single opponent in a contest.

At this stage I would only compare his hands with McGovern (Adelaide) but thats a start.

If good enough , you can get by with just borderline vertical..never thought Mooney was at his best leaping ..but he must have had something for them to try him in the ruck.
The Menzel mark V GWS is an example of AFL type hands. Full metal jacket sprint , take the ball at full gallop, full stretch , and just glue it. Do that and convert ..and yes he would be worth looking at. Like I said put him next to Lonergan and say mark it.

No. Clark's inclusion would not necessarily be linked to whether any of the players you have mentioned play. There's a myriad of permentations that could be used. And with Cockatoo to almost certainly come back in and Menegola and/or S.Selwood to perhaps also push for inclusion later in the season I'd say our 22 for finals is far from settled.

No. Clark's inclusion would not necessarily be linked to whether any of the players you have mentioned play. There's a myriad of permentations that could be used. And with Cockatoo to almost certainly come back in and Menegola and/or S.Selwood to perhaps also push for inclusion later in the season I'd say our 22 for finals is far from settled.
I know it's a bit crystal ball in nature but with Clark,SS, Menegola and Nakia who would be most vulnerable do you think to lose their place to them.

Any veterans in the firing line?

I know it's a bit crystal ball in nature but with Clark,SS, Menegola and Nakia who would be most vulnerable do you think to lose their place to them.

I think from Saturday's side. The bench of Darcy Lang, Jordan Murdoch, Tom Ruggles, Mark Blicavs and maybe Caddy are the most vulnerable.

It's tough and you might juggle the side a bit when it comes to who plays down back. Also Stanley needs to come back too.

It will be fine week-in-week-out during the regular season but it's going to be tough come September. Kersto averaging 2 goals a game and some decent pressure as well.

I think from Saturday's side. The bench of Darcy Lang, Jordan Murdoch, Tom Ruggles, Mark Blicavs and maybe Caddy are the most vulnerable.

It's tough and you might juggle the side a bit when it comes to who plays down back. Also Stanley needs to come back too.

It will be fine week-in-week-out during the regular season but it's going to be tough come September. Kersto averaging 2 goals a game and some decent pressure as well.
It's a problem you want really. Depth keeping guys honest.

Kersten has started to improve and you could say that in the absence of Clark and Vardy has grabbed his chance gleefully.

Would that extra mid depth in the team mean Guthrie can play more back thus allowing one of the 4 talls to make way?

Blicavs is interesting. Seems to get run with roles atm, would S.Selwood allow him to be used elsewhere?

Ruggles... Now you're just hurting my feelings. Leave my boy alone :'(

Personally on recent form Motlop would be ahead of Caddy to be dropped. Luckily for him (and the others) there's still some weeks to go before this may become a problem so time to find form.

House does have seriously good hands. My worry was a lack of pace and or endurance. Looked buggered by half time.

It was a high intensity game, fast movement of the ball. He needs a serious preseason or two.
Fitness can be built..great hands however...:cool:

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't believe Blicavs is vulnerable.....he might get a rest but he's best 22 hands down.
I'd say he's best 10. I heard Scott Lucas say last week that he thinks Blicavs may need to be released a bit, and he's being given too many run with roles.

I was taught early to make the boss a crap coffee, and he'll then start asking someone else.
Maybe mark needs to try it :)

Clearly Murdoch, Ruggles and Lang are the most vulnerable. Though personally I like Lang and would like to see him retained. JK is another - can't see them using 4 tall backs ongoing. Of the vets maybe Mackie. He's terribly inconsistent this year - but I dare say that he's safe. We need his passing out of defence.

Then it comes down to form. Caddy, Blicavs, Motlop and Kersten all have had quiet patches this year. I would hate to think any player is immune from being dropped due to reputation.

Of course our "best 22" if there is such a thing is far from settled. You are suggesting Clark be included I am simply asking at the expense of whom? We cannot play 23 players. Can you provide one example from your myriad of options?

I haven't really noticed Tsitas.

Stats show he is getting plenty of it though. Like Ruggles last year they may value all round ball getting ability, good game craft and a no clanger player than those that have standout ability in just one or two areas.

I do think though that they should go for a couple of state leaguers at the draft if we have late picks again. That was a cracking game much like an AFL game played at pace. Those VFL top ups that have been mentioned didn't look off the pace at all.

Of course our "best 22" if there is such a thing is far from settled. You are suggesting Clark be included I am simply asking at the expense of whom? We cannot play 23 players. Can you provide one example from your myriad of options?

B: Enright, Lonergan, Taylor
HB: Mackie, Henderson, Guthrie
C: Cockatoo, Duncan, Caddy
HF: Motlop, Clark, Lang
F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Menzel

Foll: Smith, J.Selwood, Dangerfield

Int: Stanley, Bartel, Menegola, Blicavs

B: Enright, Lonergan, Taylor
HB: Mackie, Henderson, Guthrie
C: Cockatoo, Duncan, Caddy
HF: Motlop, Clark, Lang
F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Menzel

Foll: Smith, J.Selwood, Dangerfield

Int: Stanley, Bartel, Menegola, Blicavs

Scooter would be a better selection than menegola imo, when hes fit hes a top 20 mid. Also I would think that team is a little top heavy.

It might not mean a whole lot but I think Stanley out Kertsen in makes sense.

Scooter would be a better selection than menegola imo, when hes fit hes a top 20 mid. Also I would think that team is a little top heavy.

It might not mean a whole lot but I think Stanley out Kertsen in makes sense.

It was meant to be just an example of how we could place Clark in the team. As mentioned in the previous post there are many other options, including both S.Selwood and Kersten. It will really come down to form and fitness. I tend to agree that that team is still a bit too top heavy. Blicavs is a conundrum for me. I'm starting to wonder whether if he's not in the team as a second ruck, is his place better served by a smaller type?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back