2nds VFL Round 9 - Geelong V Sandringham. 1PM, Sunday 5th June at Kardinia Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

It was meant to be just an example of how we could place Clark in the team. As mentioned in the previous post there are many other options, including both S.Selwood and Kersten. It will really come down to form and fitness. I tend to agree that that team is still a bit too top heavy. Blicavs is a conundrum for me. I'm starting to wonder whether if he's not in the team as a second ruck, is his place better served by a smaller type?

Blicavs is brilliant. He does more of the little things which go unnoticed than anyone else in the team. I would say he's in our top five most important players. He can roll onto a midfielder and shut them down (who else can do this?), and he gets the footy 17 times a game all the while using it very well.

Hawkins, Clark and Kersten would work. Kersten is agile so he doesn't slow us down. Menzel is arguably our most athletic player on the list and is extremely quick so it can work.

The conundrum is at the ruck position. We would probably have to drop one of those rucks on a weekly basis. Smith just displayed he is fully capable of playing the lone ruck role and not only run out the game but match it with one of the best rucks in the game.

Blicavs is brilliant. He does more of the little things which go unnoticed than anyone else in the team. I would say he's in our top five most important players. He can roll onto a midfielder and shut them down (who else can do this?), and he gets the footy 17 times a game all the while using it very well.

Hawkins, Clark and Kersten would work. Kersten is agile so he doesn't slow us down. Menzel is arguably our most athletic player on the list and is extremely quick so it can work.

The conundrum is at the ruck position. We would probably have to drop one of those rucks on a weekly basis. Smith just displayed he is fully capable of playing the lone ruck role and not only run out the game but match it with one of the best rucks in the game.

Don't get me wrong - I like Blicavs but his impact this year is down on last.

Still of the opinion that Stanley should be number 1 ruck, with Clark playing 70/30 fwd/ruck split, and Smith out of the side.

Don't get me wrong, when Smith has been good, he's been quite impressive, but has had games where he has also been putrid.

Really like Clark as a forward who goes into the ruck to chop out the number one guy. Don't think it works as well if Smith is the number 1 ruck and Stanley is in the VFL.

Still of the opinion that Stanley should be number 1 ruck, with Clark playing 70/30 fwd/ruck split, and Smith out of the side.

Don't get me wrong, when Smith has been good, he's been quite impressive, but has had games where he has also been putrid.

Really like Clark as a forward who goes into the ruck to chop out the number one guy. Don't think it works as well if Smith is the number 1 ruck and Stanley is in the VFL.

Interesting. I think Smith is building into the year nicely. Saturday being a big step in the right direction.

Clark really is the one with everything to prove though. All this chatter may be moot if he breaks down again or fails to replicate his (so far only one game) of VFL form to the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posters frequently talk about "a class above" for certain players in the 2nds, but some of these highlights really do show a definite example of that trait.
Good players always seem to have time, and aren't rushed... particularly when they go down a grade

Clark looked like that there

B: Enright, Lonergan, Taylor
HB: Mackie, Henderson, Guthrie
C: Cockatoo, Duncan, Caddy
HF: Motlop, Clark, Kersten
F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Menzel

Foll: Smith, J.Selwood, Dangerfield

Int: Stanley, Bartel, Lang, Blicavs

I think this is a good side but I think the losses we have had illustrate our weaknesses - the things we need to improve. The midfield is still not as dominant as we would like and I am willing to take the punt and say that if Scooter can get fit and play well in the VFL - then he could be a key inclusion late in the season for us.

He is no Joel nor is he a Danger. But he is a very solid, hard working and running mid. He is an experienced player who, until his injuries, was easily best 22 at WC (in a pretty poor side at the time I know). If he can get fit and stay fit - and has enough game time to get his run and hardness back - his inclusion will allow Duncan to go back to the wing, where he is more suited (being more outside than inside player - and he is crucial as an outside player for us) and Guthrie to go into the backline AND we still maintain our midfield depth.

As good as Guthrie is in the midfield we need him down back as much. We are a bit tall and slow down back and he would give us a very good one on one small defender, good run out of the back line, he kicks well and is a very good decision maker. And for short times of a game, when required, he could go in the middle to give a few more rotations thru the middle.

So Scooter could make a significant difference to our midfield by allowing Duncan to play more his natural role and allow Guthrie to go back. For me that is a little stronger side - and might add just that bit extra to the side that gets us over the line in big games.

Last I heard he was making ok progress with his ankle and I would have thought he was starting to run by now or in the very near future. I may prove to be wrong but give me a player that goes 100 % all the time and does the team thing on and off the track - every time. That is a great platform to build from (plus he has 135 senior games behind him and a heap of pre-seasons). Let's not give up just yet on Scooter for 2016.

PS. That would require a player to make way for Scooter's inclusion and at that this point I think Lang. Ask yourself if both were fit and playing well who would be better for us in this year's finals ? I like Lang but for this year I think Scooter would be more productive and effective for us.

pCO0KJu.png

PhvaBSg.png

I think this is a good side but I think the losses we have had illustrate our weaknesses - the things we need to improve. The midfield is still not as dominant as we would like and I am willing to take the punt and say that if Scooter can get fit and play well in the VFL - then he could be a key inclusion late in the season for us.

He is no Joel nor is he a Danger. But he is a very solid, hard working and running mid. He is an experienced player who, until his injuries, was easily best 22 at WC (in a pretty poor side at the time I know). If he can get fit and stay fit - and has enough game time to get his run and hardness back - his inclusion will allow Duncan to go back to the wing, where he is more suited (being more outside than inside player - and he is crucial as an outside player for us) and Guthrie to go into the backline AND we still maintain our midfield depth.

As good as Guthrie is in the midfield we need him down back as much. We are a bit tall and slow down back and he would give us a very good one on one small defender, good run out of the back line, he kicks well and is a very good decision maker. And for short times of a game, when required, he could go in the middle to give a few more rotations thru the middle.

So Scooter could make a significant difference to our midfield by allowing Duncan to play more his natural role and allow Guthrie to go back. For me that is a little stronger side - and might add just that bit extra to the side that gets us over the line in big games.

Last I heard he was making ok progress with his ankle and I would have thought he was starting to run by now or in the very near future. I may prove to be wrong but give me a player that goes 100 % all the time and does the team thing on and off the track - every time. That is a great platform to build from (plus he has 135 senior games behind him and a heap of pre-seasons). Let's not give up just yet on Scooter for 2016.

PS. That would require a player to make way for Scooter's inclusion and at that this point I think Lang. Ask yourself if both were fit and playing well who would be better for us in this year's finals ? I like Lang but for this year I think Scooter would be more productive and effective for us.

All good but S.Selwood is really leaving it very late to have a meaningful input this season. I'm not sure where he's exactly at but IF he's only just running then he's got to:
a) get match fit
b) be able to adapt to a new team and game plan
c) knock someone out of the team

Good luck to him but I'll be a bit surprised if he's in our 22 come finals. Menegola I think is more likely of the mids.

I heard Menegola is back this week in the twos. I hope so as that gives him time to build form and be there is if we have injuries.

I have real faith in Scooter IF he can get fit. It however be 2017 when he shows us all that he is a consistently good footy player still.

Posters frequently talk about "a class above" for certain players in the 2nds, but some of these highlights really do show a definite example of that trait.
Yeah, his figures on his return are far superior to Vardy and he looks very, very good in the highlights. It would be great to see him playing alongside the Hawk. I do worry about being top heavy, I hope he can find some form rucking as well - for obvious reasons.

I was very impressed with Kersten on the weekend I took particular note of his leading away from Hawkins and taking a Giant defender away from the action, also noted his ability to change direction and get back to the forward line and create pressure on their defenders, several times resulting in turnovers or a stalemate (out of bounds) keeping the ball in our forward line. That bomb from outside 50 was something we have all been waiting for. As I have suggested elsewhere I would hate to see our investment in Kersten wasted.

B: Enright, Lonergan, Taylor
HB: Mackie, Henderson, Guthrie
C: Cockatoo, Duncan, Caddy
HF: Motlop, Clark, Kersten
F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Menzel

Foll: Smith, J.Selwood, Dangerfield

Int: Stanley, Bartel, Lang, Blicavs
Nice looking side. I think the MC still want to maintain Kolo in the team, I like him and he has been very good but am worried about being too top heavy as you know.

I agree. If fit and in form Scooter for Lang. Then that would be our best side.

Nice looking side. I think the MC still want to maintain Kolo in the team, I like him and he has been very good but am worried about being too top heavy as you know.

Fair enough too. I'm the same - particularly in our back six and have wanted Guthrie down there since pre-season. But his midfield form is excellent so we'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul...

It certainly is a danger that we do go too tall. I think if we can get Cockatoo back in the form he was in prior to injury that would allay some of those concerns - his run and carry together with his defensive game was terrific earlier in the year.

I'd like to see Clark put together 3-4 VFL games before we get too excited. But his talent is obvious. And the guy can kick straight...

Ultimately we can't play them all - for now the locks would be Hawkins, Taylor, Henderson and probably Smith. Lonergan has the experience and his height is invaluable to tackle the real big forwards and is currently in decent form. Blicavs also almost certainly gets a run but I still have some nagging doubts with him.

That leaves the likes of Stanley, Kolo, Clark, Vardy etc to fight for the other tall spot/s in the field. Kersten is perhaps part of this mix but can play a mid forward role.

And he did is nonchalantly as well....
At the start of the year people were saying they thought he was a bit off the pace, particularly in midfield - obviously highlights can be deceiving but I wonder if he starting to pick up the tempo.

Parsons also did a few nice things in that video.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back