2nds VFL Round 9 - Geelong V Sandringham. 1PM, Sunday 5th June at Kardinia Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

People watching... did Clark play well all game, or was it just a burst of goals in a quarter?

I'm rapt he seemed to go well, just wondering if he was flattered by the numbers?
Saw the burst which was pretty good then was reasonably solid in limited game time second half. Clearly a class above and could be huge for us in the second half of the season on that showing.

People watching... did Clark play well all game, or was it just a burst of goals in a quarter?

I'm rapt he seemed to go well, just wondering if he was flattered by the numbers?
He took a while to settle in, but by the second quarter he was taking strong marks and kicking impressive goals. Very, very promising.

Smedts and Gregson both played good games, but Vardy was poor again. Hayball, Cornell, Cowan, Gardner, Menegola, Parsons and Luxford were all noticeable, and Bews was impressive with the ball.

no one seems to mention James Tsitas, he seems to be in the best players every week, dont know much about him. is he a prospect for the AFL list next year?

Was a highly rated junior in his u18 year but missed being drafted from memory due to concerns with lack of legspeed and kick penetration if I remember correctly.

He took a while to settle in, but by the second quarter he was taking strong marks and kicking impressive goals. Very, very promising.

Smedts and Gregson both played good games, but Vardy was poor again. Hayball, Cornell, Cowan, Gardner, Menegola, Parsons and Luxford were all noticeable, and Bews was impressive with the ball.
Cowan got hurt in the first quarter... he must have stood out when he was on!

Cowan got hurt in the first quarter... he must have stood out when he was on!
He must've, I didn't notice he went off! Smedts was going well until his injury too (I noticed that one :$).

SXU8NTw.jpg

I hope we get an AFL game or two into Menagola before Scott Selwood is ready. Could add something to the midfield mix by the sounds of it.

I saw him live in the NAB game against the Pies and he was very impressive before going down injured. Looks a terrific athlete and potentially useful taller mid. With Cockatoo still to return it will create some nice selection headaches.

I hope we get an AFL game or two into Menagola before Scott Selwood is ready. Could add something to the midfield mix by the sounds of it.
How far away is SS... obviously Menegola has now played 1 week , if SS is not ready to play next week, one would think thats two weeks there. But who really knows how close Scott is to playing? Id hope by the bye that Menegola is giving a rest to our mids.

Not much more to add to what's been reported by Supahoops, but just a few lines:

- Tim House (#73) marking ability is seriously impressive - plucks everything coming his way, contested or uncontested. Would be right up there with Hawkins and Clark on marking, pity can't play AFL, I would love him in our team. Him and Clark impressed me the most today.
- Clark started right where he stopped last year - great to see. 1st half - forward, 3 goals, 2nd half - mainly rucking, may not be outstanding, but solid nonetheless.
- Vardy - good rucking, but as a forward almost useless - numerous marking opportunities all wasted, always touches the ball, but never grabs it. It's been his problem for a very long time, not sure - if not improved by now - would ever be?
- Menegola - good 1st quarter, but then virtually invisible for the rest of the game (to me he looked frustrated in 2-4 quarters - sore?). Not sure why he's in the best, potentially to encourage. Atkins was in everything, gathered huge numbers and didn't get to the best - go figure.
- Smedts (before the injury) looked involved, Cowan too albeit with less effectiveness.
- Gregson - very good for VFL, but not outstanding; still a good seniors selection option. His 4th quarter goal was absolute beauty - a replica of what SJ did yesterday.
- Luxford - tried hard as always, but not impressive enough to be considered for seniors, possibly won't get a game this year.
- Hayball has some courage and skill, didn't star, but I see some potential - hopefully will become a good player for us.
- Cornell, Parsons - were not too impressive, but they are still very young, time will tell.
- Gardner - assured and solid down back, reminds me Kolo for some reason.
- Bews - very confident in VFL, didn't disappoint today.
- Almost the entire seniors team was watching from the stands, including all injured players, Scott and Hocking. Senior players looked relaxed and happy, Enright playing footy with his little one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody got any info on Tim House (73) ... our website has him as 194cm and 26/5/95. Originally from WA but played for the Eagles in the GFL.

House does have seriously good hands. My worry was a lack of pace and or endurance. Looked buggered by half time.

It was a high intensity game, fast movement of the ball. He needs a serious preseason or two.

Just left the ground, sorry to miss the last quarter. Clark is looking great , kicked 3 in the second quarter, playing mainly as key forward and helping out in the ruck. Vardy much improved on recent weeks. Gregson the best of the AFL boys, Menegola having a go and will improve with a game or two. I wonder how long Clark will play VFL as we are crying out for a second Key forward in the AFL.
I'm not so sure we are. So far we have done ok with Stanley/Smith playing forward with Kersten as another marking option and defensive forward, and Menzel as another medium marking option. With Stanley injured we could fit Clark in, but I have been burned by the HMac experience. I would hate to see Clark come in, Kersten get dropped and rewire the entire forward line only to see Clark injured on the eve of the finals and we then have to rewire it back again. I have little faith in Clark and am satisfied that Kersten with Stanley and Smith can provide the other marking option up forward.

House does have seriously good hands. My worry was a lack of pace and or endurance. Looked buggered by half time.

It was a high intensity game, fast movement of the ball. He needs a serious preseason or two.

If he was playing GFL as a big man in 2015 , its a big jump in work rate. Another 2 jumps to AFL... but it seem he has a couple of thongs going for him ..height and hands.
Spring? Kicking? Speed? Stamina? Strength?... but at least he worth watching..considering the VFL list has him as a defender..kicking 5 goals does put a little line under his name.

Just left the ground, sorry to miss the last quarter. Clark is looking great , kicked 3 in the second quarter, playing mainly as key forward and helping out in the ruck. Vardy much improved on recent weeks. Gregson the best of the AFL boys, Menegola having a go and will improve with a game or two. I wonder how long Clark will play VFL as we are crying out for a second Key forward in the AFL.

I really hope at least 4 weeks.. He should perform and be able to butter up.. No special favours ..unless we are pushed into a corner.

I'm not so sure we are. So far we have done ok with Stanley/Smith playing forward with Kersten as another marking option and defensive forward, and Menzel as another medium marking option. With Stanley injured we could fit Clark in, but I have been burned by the HMac experience. I would hate to see Clark come in, Kersten get dropped and rewire the entire forward line only to see Clark injured on the eve of the finals and we then have to rewire it back again. I have little faith in Clark and am satisfied that Kersten with Stanley and Smith can provide the other marking option up forward.

I'm not sure it would be Kersten necessarily making way for Clark. I think there are other options.

If he was playing GFL as a big man in 2015 , its a big jump in work rate. Another 2 jumps to AFL... but it seem he has a couple of thongs going for him ..height and hands.
Spring? Kicking? Speed? Stamina? Strength?... but at least he worth watching..considering the VFL list has him as a defender..kicking 5 goals does put a little line under his name.

Interesting to see O'Bree say that they'd played him as a defender all season but 'had obviously got that wrong'.

It shows players can be pigeonholed by preconceived ideas, and may only need an opportunity elsewhere to reveal the potential for their true talent.

Also shows coaches must be open-minded and willing to evolve their ideas and bias. Kudos to O'Bree for acknowledging an error and recognising an alternative path that just may benefit player and club in a couple of years.

no one seems to mention James Tsitas, he seems to be in the best players every week, dont know much about him. is he a prospect for the AFL list next year?
Not for us if you keep mentioning him..

I agree about Vardy. Improved. I have stopped judging by what I thought he would be. After doing a knee he will take time to get back to full confidence. A couple of times he showed that he still has the ability but confidence and timing (and leap ) are well down. Effort was good.

I didn't think Gregson was as influential as I had hoped. He runs hard all over the ground. His late goal was very good. Hopefully he will get to more contests in the next couple of games . But I am being picky - I think outside AFL players find VFL less organised and difficult to adjust to early.

Very much a watcher. You can improve the fitness levels of a player but you can't give them golden hands! I watched young McGovern for Adelaide this arvo for 20mins. He has hands like House or is it the other way around?

Very much a watcher. You can improve the fitness levels of a player but you can't give them golden hands! I watched young McGovern for Adelaide this arvo for 20mins. He has hands like House or is it the other way around?

The very least they should do (if he is that good)..is to do what they do with Pods. Put him next to Lonergan and Henderson..and tell him to outmark them. As you say..judge him on his trick , not what can be trained into him. To go with the hands..does he have spring..or is it more a lead and mark type... sort of Kersten ish. 194cm is not super tall in todays footy, he would need some elevation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back