VFL Game Day VFL Semi final - Essendon v Footscray (19 point loss; 94-75)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Dogs finished 4th & we finished 8th at the end of the home and away season - BUT!!! a big last quater against the Cats and the form of some of our senior players will have lifted our teams confidence immensely. Anyone going along I am thinking about it...we are some sort of chance to win this - possible line up;-

Francis Freezer Ashby
Redman Ferry McNeice
McKenna Hams Kommer
Edwards J.Langford Heavyside
Long Michael Polkinghorne

Jamar Heppell Holmes

Bench from:
Coghlan Wallis Carboni Morgan
Hind Dornauf Boyse Dobson
J.Merrett

We smashed them by 66 in the semi final last year.

We seem to play well at North Port Oval. I'm quietly confident that we can beat them to set up an amazing prelim vs Collingwood.

Can we gave that at Etihad if it happens?

I think the overall record for Essendon v Footscray since the Bulldogs set up their standalone VFL team in 2014 would be 3-2 to them.

My memory is they beat us once in 2014, the roster games were split 1-1 in 2015 and then we obliterated them in the finals, and they beat us once this year.

Also the OP may need a bit more McKernan and Nyuon. I've no idea of the extent of either of those two guys' injuries, but hopefully they're both back in the selection frame for this weekend. McKernan would be a huge inclusion if he is available.

We smashed them by 66 in the semi final last year.

We seem to play well at North Port Oval. I'm quietly confident that we can beat them to set up an amazing prelim vs Collingwood.

Can we gave that at Etihad if it happens?

All finals at North Port and GF at Etihad, they won't budge on that.

Capacity for North Port Oval is 12,000.
An Essendon v Collingwood prelim could give that figure a nudge?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Because the Doggies game against West Coast is on Thursday, if they lose are they still allowed to stack the VFL side with AFL players who don't meet the requirements? I know there is an exception due to the need for clubs to have blokes play to give them a chance to put their hand up for selection, but in this case will they need to adjust their team sheet on Friday?

Because the Doggies game against West Coast is on Thursday, if they lose are they still allowed to stack the VFL side with AFL players who don't meet the requirements? I know there is an exception due to the need for clubs to have blokes play to give them a chance to put their hand up for selection, but in this case will they need to adjust their team sheet on Friday?

Because both teams are still going, anyone can be picked in their VFL team this week so long as they've already played at least one AFL or VFL match during 2016.

I'm not trying to be rude ... but I'm not sure I follow your point about how they could suddenly stack their side after an AFL loss. They're going to have to select their VFL lineup for the weekend before they play their AFL match, and they're hardly likely to be leaving anyone out just for the sake of rushing them into the VFL team by Saturday. Or needing to readjust their team on Friday in any other way (including by needing to leave players out) for that matter. Or have I missed something?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the overall record for Essendon v Footscray since the Bulldogs set up their standalone VFL team in 2014 would be 3-2 to them.

My memory is they beat us once in 2014, the roster games were split 1-1 in 2015 and then we obliterated them in the finals, and they beat us once this year.

Also the OP may need a bit more McKernan and Nyuon. I've no idea of the extent of either of those two guys' injuries, but hopefully they're both back in the selection frame for this weekend. McKernan would be a huge inclusion if he is available.

Nyuon is hopeless, no way we want him in. If someone tall comes in (and assuming McKernan isn't fit), it should be Grimley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically, if players don't get picked for the afl side, they can play in the vfl side this weekend, whether they win or lose on Thursday. Does that answer the question?? It's not really 'stacking the side', the best 22 get picked for afl, anyone else obviously goes to the vfl???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nyuon is hopeless, no way we want him in. If someone tall comes in (and assuming McKernan isn't fit), it should be Grimley

Oh right, ok.

So we draft a ruckman who's clearly a long-term project, and wasn't expected to do much this year, but then need to stop even playing him in his first season because he is "hopeless" and there's "no way we want him in"? Even in the VFL and even in a VFL finals game, which have historically been very useful for player development?

That's such a counterproductive and negative line of thinking that I don't even know where to begin with it.

And, btw, I think you'll find not even Grimley (who you're suggesting plays) agrees with you.

Something to keep in mind and a good reason to get down there and support the team this Sunday:

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-09-06/dons-spurred-to-victory

Essendon VFL Coach Matthew Egan has paid tribute to the fans following the Bombers come form behind Elimination Final win on Saturday.

The Bombers kicked nine goals in the last quarter to run down Geelong and earn a spot in the semi final this Sunday.

“Last year the fans came out in the same force and it builds every week, I thought there was probably 80 per cent Essendon fans there on the weekend, it was amazing,” Egan said.

“Talking to the players after the game they said a few of them have never been on a field like that, it feels so intimate and every goal we kicked the fans were going crazy. It’s great for our young players to experience that sort of atmosphere.

“It was big but hopefully this week against the Bulldogs will be even bigger.”

The Bombers play Footscray for a spot in the Preliminary Final.

The Bulldogs finished in the top four, earning a double chance and will be looking to rebound from a 70-point loss to Casey.

“They are an excellent side the Doggies, they finished fourth for a reason,” Egan said.

“They use the ball and are coached really well. It will be a really tough game but hopefully we give it a good a crack.”

Looking back at Saturday’s come from behind win; Egan said he was proud of the way the Bombers fought to stay in the game.

“It was a great win, I thought the boys competed really well and obviously a good first quarter and a great last quarter but a bit scratchy in between,” he said.

“They jumped us in the second quarter and I thought we lost our way a little bit.

“We tidied a few things up at half time and the third quarter wasn’t our best quarter but we were still in the game.”

The Cats led by 16 points at the last change, but a goal from Nakia Cockatoo early in the final term extended that to 22 points.

“It showed how important Jacko’s (Jackson Merrett) goal was from the boundary line to get us back in the game,” Egan said.

“We didn’t try anything different, we moved a few players here and there but it was the players that dug deep. It was the player’s attitude - they didn’t give up.

“It’s always a good sign when you’re looking at the best at the end of the game and it’s really hard to identify who are the main players, there was such a big group this week.”

The Bombers will return to North Port Oval this Sunday to take on Footscray from 2.40pm. The match will be broadcast on Channel 7.

Oh right, ok.

So we draft a ruckman who's clearly a long-term project, and wasn't expected to do much this year, but then need to stop even playing him in his first season because he is "hopeless" and there's "no way we want him in"? Even in the VFL and even in a VFL finals game, which have historically been very useful for player development?

That's such a counterproductive and negative line of thinking that I don't even know where to begin with it.

And, btw, I think you'll find not even Grimley (who you're suggesting plays) agrees with you.

The VFL boys want to win.
They are not just there to "develop" unworthy players.

So he's "unworthy" as well now?

Some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves talking about a young Essendon draftee this way.

And the VFL is absolutely not *all* about winning matches.

He is not playing well at a VFL level. Why bring him into a final when we want to win.

Your last line clearly shows you have never been to a VFL game.

He is not playing well at a VFL level. Why bring him into a final when we want to win.

Your last line clearly shows you have never been to a VFL game.

He has been a regular in the VFL this year, and played virtually the entire season at that level barring injuries and suspensions.

He certainly hasn't been brilliant but, equally, I don't think his performance at his age and given how raw he is would have surprised the VFL coaches or the list management staff at all. For so-called Essendon *supporters* to be calling him a hopeless cause, unwanted and unworthy at this stage of his career is absolutely bizarre. It's certainly not the view of people at the club who've actually got some clue what they're talking about.

He actually needs as many VFL games as possible at this stage. Given the choice, if it came down to it, I'd play him every time ahead of guys like Sam Michael.

As for your last line ... what a truly pathetic and juvenile comment. That says a lot more about you than it says about me.

Capacity for North Port Oval is 12,000.
An Essendon v Collingwood prelim could give that figure a nudge?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I think they ended up closing the gates at last years prelim.
I got there about 15 minutes before the bounce and was in line for ages. Finally got in about half way through the 1st qtr. When I looked back at the line I was in and it had doubled in size. Fairly sure they closed the gates just before/after half time.
Id be getting there mighty early if an Essendon v Collingwood prelim happens. Gates will probably be closed in the 1st qtr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back