VFL Game Day VFL Semi Final: Essendon vs Werribee, North Port Oval, Sunday 08/09/19, 2:10 PM AEST

Who plays Williamstown next week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is Willys ruckman? Do they bat deep?
Nick Meese. Been pretty much the VFL's Shane Mumford for about a dozen years I'd say.

They have very good midfield and defence, play a 2/2/2 structure forward (tall/med/small). Our defence will match up well, depending if Harts plays.

Today's game showed why you do not just play young blokes. A lot of our blokes struggled to get on top of VFL players. Yes they where a decent VFL side with some strong bodies but it highlights why simply giving players a game is not the best development tool.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Kissed on the dick today, now we WILL go all the way.
Still believe we should have won the last two.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Today's game showed why you do not just play young blokes. A lot of our blokes struggled to get on top of VFL players. Yes they where a decent VFL side with some strong bodies but it highlights why simply giving players a game is not the best development tool.

Any players in particular? Thought we had a few guys who were just going with no real impact on the overall result of the game.

It’s worrying that we are into a prelim and our oldest heads and VFL guys are propping up the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
How did Ridley go today?

I’ve never seen a club utensil up a players development as much as ours. Ridley was putting up some excellent displays last year. This year he is only just going. The bloke is 21, should be demanding AFL selection but instead we haven’t settled what we are going to finally develop him into. It’s perplexing

Player review:

#12 Mark Baguley: Good in patches, but right call was made. Cooked.

#14 Jordan Ridley: I thought he shut his man down well but didn't use his kicking skills as well as I'd have liked. Did set up the winner though.

#16 Josh Begley: Huge last 5 minutes after an okay game beforehand.

#23 David Myers: His usual VFL self. Hope he goes well in the Liston tonight.

#24 Jordan Houlahan: Looked disinterested. Delist.

#30 Brandon Zerk-Thatcher: If Riccardi doesn't get drafted to us I look forward to these two doing battle a lot in the future.

#34 Jake Long: Did some nice things, but went missing. 1 or 2 more games for Longy on our AFL list.

#36 Michael Hartley: Solid game, hopefully can back it up next week.

#37 Dylan Clarke: Wasn't his best, wasn't his worst. Hope he tags Hibberd next week.

#39 Trent Mynott: His second half of the year has been down, hope he can improve on that in the next couple of games.

#41 Ben McNiece: Beat his man, but kick outs didn't have their usual effectiveness.

#46 Tom Jok: Kicked the winner, good enough in my book. Has good hands.

#49 Matt Dea: Solid, but kicking was a little off today.

As for the changes next week:

In: Snelling, Ham, Gleeson?
Out: McKenna (susp), two others I don't know.

Props to Landt, was very good with his run and dash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing part for me was the poor form of some of young guys on our list, Clarke, Begley, Ridley and Mynott.

Lucky Werribee missed so many set gettable shots in that last quarter.
I thought Begley was good, especially at the end.

Any players in particular? Thought we had a few guys who were just going with no real impact on the overall result of the game.

It’s worrying that we are into a prelim and our oldest heads and VFL guys are propping up the team.

Most of them. Not knocking them as they are young and learning but I thought it highlighted the fact that you can not just give players game time at the top level. If they are going to have trouble with a VFL side , albeit in a final then they are certainly going to struggle at the next level up. The up side is they should be better for the experience of playing in a tough contested final.

DollyA

Senior List
Jan 24, 2010
Mildura
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Two ex Essendon VFL captains are in the Sunraysia Football League Grand Final this weekend Dan Coghlan and Ben Duscher both play for Irymple. Coghlan has just won the league Best and Fairest with Duscher coming in third.

Two ex Essendon VFL captains are in the Sunraysia Football League Grand Final this weekend Dan Coghlan and Ben Duscher both play for Irymple. Coghlan has just won the league Best and Fairest with Duscher coming in third.
What are their chances of winning?

vPu0t0X.png

r4gyySG.png

Back