VFL Seniors - Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Frankston are barely NEAFL standard. It's basically a free win for whoever plays them each week.

They outmuscled and outhunted the Lions for a good portion of yesterday's game. We were pretty relieved to finish ahead when the final siren sounded.

Coburg can't afford to lose another one, and need Casey to drop this week's game against Willy, and the final round match at Sandy.

It's possible, but not probable.

my tips this week:
Seniors -
Essendon v Footscray - Dogs by 32
Collingwood v Richmond - Magpies by 55
Williamstown v Werribee - Seagulls by 15
Pt Melbourne v Frankston - Borough by 40
Coburg v Casey - Lions by 6
Northern Blues v Box Hill - Hawks by 100
Sandringham v Geelong - Zebras by 25

Dev League -
Williamstown v Werribee - Seagulls by 120
Pt Melbourne v Frankston - Borough by 35
Coburg v Casey - Lions by 15
Northern Blues v Box Hill - Hawks by 120

Great win by the dons, 17 points down about 12 minutes into the last but get up by 4 points. Top 4 is on in earnest. Essendon will be relying on Werribee to get over the Bulldogs next week to win, or have about a 23-24 goal win against Richmond, though.

Great win by the dons, 17 points down about 12 minutes into the last but get up by 4 points. Top 4 is on in earnest. Essendon will be relying on Werribee to get over the Bulldogs next week to win, or have about a 23-24 goal win against Richmond, though.
23-24 goal win against Richmond isn't out of the question. ;)

Assuming Sandy win tomorrow, we have a big last round next week. We have:

Geelong vs Northern Blues: Nothing game, neither side will make finals and are set in their positions.
Collingwood vs Port Melbourne: Collingwood can't make top 4 but can get a "home" final with a win, Port win and they finish 9th.
Essendon vs Richmond: Essendon can get top 4 with a big win against Richmond, or get a "home" final at North Port Oval.
North Ballarat vs Coburg: Nothing game, winner gets 9th if Port lose, loser finishes 11th.
Sandringham vs Casey: Casey are locked in at 8th, Sandy can finish 2nd with a win.
Box Hill vs Williamstown: Box Hill will finish 1st, but Williamstown need to win a guarantee a place in the top 4.
Werribee vs Footscray: So many possibilities with this one, winner could finish 4th, loser probably finishes 7th.

Huge score for Port Melbourne today, scoring 33.13 (211) against Frankston. In fact it is the third biggest score VFL history...

http://australianfootball.com/leagues/highest_scores/VFL/126

Not sure about that. I am sure I was at Windy Hill one day when Carlton reserves were beating Essendon reserves and we would have had a bigger score than that.
I think I remember Fraser Murphy kicking a lot of goals. He used to play for Geelong West then to Carlton. Also played in the 1987 Grand Final we beat Hawthorn in.
I think when talking biggest score in history we have to consider this league presently is some kind of mixed league of old VFA and old VFL reserves comps so you might want to look up highest scores in VFA and VFL reserves too.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are bigger scores than this but this is about biggest at any game I attended.

Round 9: May 26th 1984

Carlton 37.19.241
Essendon 9.14.68

Result: Won by 173 points

Goalkickers; Darren Ogier 8, Scott Howell 6, Fraser Murphy 5, Ian Muller 4, Spiro Kourkoumelis 4, Mark Buckley 3, Ricky Nixon 2, Warren 'Wow' Jones 2, Stephen Gumley 1,Tom Alvin 1, Royce Enders 1.

Best; Spiro Kourkoumelis, Darren Ogier, Fraser Murphy, Warren 'Wow' Jones, Scott Howell.

Actually the next week we scored over 200 again.
The guy that kicked 9 in next game is father of Reece McKenzie that on Richmond list now.
I think he also played in Carlton 1987 Grand Final side but was eventually traded to Sydney I believe.

Round 10: June 3rd 1984

Carlton 34.12.206
Swans 10.11.71

Result: Won by 135 points

Goalkickers; Warren McKenzie 9, Darren Ogier 9, Stephen Gumley 4, Mick Kennedy 3, Wayne Harmes 2, Royce Enders 2, Andrew Graham 2, Shane Baldwin 2, Peter Dean 1.

Best; Peter Dean, Warren McKenzie, Darren Ogier, Wayne Harmes, Ricky Nixon, David Honybun.

Who's going to win it do you think?? Don't think the pies or dragons can get it done.. i reckon the seagulls
You mean the Zebras?

Honestly, it depends on the top 4 make up. Box Hill and Williamstown should be the favourites. I don't think Sandringham will get there. If Footscray finish top 4 they're going to go in confident. Essendon are half a chance but Will need to hope for results to go their way. The other three are no chance IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean the Zebras?

Honestly, it depends on the top 4 make up. Box Hill and Williamstown should be the favourites. I don't think Sandringham will get there. If Footscray finish top 4 they're going to go in confident. Essendon are half a chance but Will need to hope for results to go their way. The other three are no chance IMO.

Continue to underrate Sandy...

They will have a very strong list of St Kilda players available, and Sandy listed players like Clint Jones and Mitch Brown have been fantastic all season. Adam Cockie should be back after the first week of finals I believe.

I think Box Hill should be clear favourites, but I would have Sandy and Williamstown next in line, unless Footscray make the top four, in which case they should probably be second favourites.

Not sure what to make of Essendon and Collingwood. It's hard to see Werribee challenging even if they make the top four.

Continue to underrate Sandy...

They will have a very strong list of St Kilda players available, and Sandy listed players like Clint Jones and Mitch Brown have been fantastic all season. Adam Cockie should be back after the first week of finals I believe.

I think Box Hill should be clear favourites, but I would have Sandy and Williamstown next in line, unless Footscray make the top four, in which case they should probably be second favourites.

Not sure what to make of Essendon and Collingwood. It's hard to see Werribee challenging even if they make the top four.
Sandy have struggled against their top 4 rivals all year and are in much the same boat as Essendon in that they're a little bit of flat track bullies. I can't see them reigning in a rampaging Williamstown or Box Hill. Werribee can only make the top 4 if Essendon lose to Richmond. Collingwood can only make the top 4 if that happens and Werribee draw with Footscray. The % differences are too great.

Sandy have struggled against their top 4 rivals all year and are in much the same boat as Essendon in that they're a little bit of flat track bullies. I can't see them reigning in a rampaging Williamstown or Box Hill. Werribee can only make the top 4 if Essendon lose to Richmond. Collingwood can only make the top 4 if that happens and Werribee draw with Footscray. The % differences are too great.

Fair point about Sandy against Box Hill and Williamstown, but those two losses were a long time ago. I would back Sandy to put up a much stronger fight this time, especially against Willy. Box Hill I still see as probably a class above though.

As for Footscray and Essendon, well Sandy has already beaten those two sides. Not saying they would be easybeats - far from it - but they have proven that they can beat them.

You mean the Zebras?

yeah sorry got mixed up with the TAC cup. Agree that the zebras haven't been as impressive against better opponents as others have

Everyone excited for Finals this week? At least Seven will show two finals games like the ABC did

Saturday September 5

North Port Oval – Elimination Final

12:10pm: Collingwood v Werribee

Box Hill City Oval - Qualifying Final

2pm: Box Hill Hawks v Footscray

Sunday September 6

North Port Oval - Elimination Final

11:40am Essendon v Casey Scorpions

Trevor Barker Beach Oval – Qualifying Final

2pm: Sandringham v Williamstown

Tips? I'm leaning towards all of the "home" teams, but I think they all have potential to be good games. For the AFL aligned/reserves teams a lot will depend on who is available.

I think the easiest to tip will be Essendon against Casey. I struggle to see Casey getting up in that one.

Collingwood win, first time they've won a VFL final since being aligned with Williamstown.

Box Hill currently leading by 20 against Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back