VFL Seniors - Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Dwyer returns home to North Port:

I did mention this some time ago but the competition is set for some massize changes. Will be a 2 tier competition with all the AFL standalone clubs and maybe 1 or 2 of the stronger original VFA clubs to play in the top tier. It's going to happen just a matter of when..

I did mention this some time ago but the competition is set for some massize changes. Will be a 2 tier competition with all the AFL standalone clubs and maybe 1 or 2 of the stronger original VFA clubs to play in the top tier. It's going to happen just a matter of when..

AFL Victoria haven't looked at this anywhere near hard enough yet. They have failed to pre-empt the obvious lobbying from the AFL clubs whom all are pushing for either stand alone VFL/AFL reserves or alignments where they have complete effective control over the single senior side (eg. Box Hill, Casey, Northern Blues).

With the Development league folding at end of 2017, it's hard to see how some stand alone VFL clubs would want to continue, let alone try to survive, if they are only permitted to field one team.

My guess is the full restructure will be complete by end of 2019, perhaps a year earlier, and the TAC teams will provide regional feeders for the AFL reserve competition's top up players who don't get drafted.

Almost back to supplementary lists which went out of fashion in about 1997?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Victoria haven't looked at this anywhere near hard enough yet. They have failed to pre-empt the obvious lobbying from the AFL clubs whom all are pushing for either stand alone VFL/AFL reserves or alignments where they have complete effective control over the single senior side (eg. Box Hill, Casey, Northern Blues).

With the Development league folding at end of 2017, it's hard to see how some stand alone VFL clubs would want to continue, let alone try to survive, if they are only permitted to field one team.

My guess is the full restructure will be complete by end of 2019, perhaps a year earlier, and the TAC teams will provide regional feeders for the AFL reserve competition's top up players who don't get drafted.

Almost back to supplementary lists which went out of fashion in about 1997?

Good post Scribe. Yes maybe align the TAC cup sides to VFL standalone teams. Example: Western Jets/Williamstown however where does this leave a side like Werribee. However is Werribee only hanging in there as they are aligned to Nth Melb. This is just 1 example..

I'm actually predicting TAC/AFL reserve list alignment, with unfortunately the VFL entities having to pick up the next tier of player who doesn't get picked up by an AFL club as a top up player.

So basically:

1. TAC kids open slather get senior list drafted/rookied

2. TAC kids get picked up as per the below zone alignments as top up players who can only play AFL reserve footy for the year

3. Balance of TAC kids who are good enough play VFL footy for Port, Willy, Sandy, Coburg, Box Hill, Casey, Werribee, Frankston, North Ballarat, and (maybe) Preston

Just a quick stab at tier 2 alignment....

Geelong Falcons - Geelong top up
Jets - Bulldogs
Cannons - Essendon
Rebels - North
Pioneers - Tigers
Knights - Blues
Chargers - Pies
Dragons - Saints
Ranges - Hawks
Stingrays - Demons

Would leave Gippsland Power and Murray Bushrangers players to perhaps filter through maybe two or three clubs on a pro-rata basis.

Would no doubt encourage the aligned AFL clubs to invest in their TAC cup "feeder zone" more and assist in fast tracking players into the AFL reserve system as their supplementary list would obviously benefit from players who were ready made for senior (2nd tier) footy.

Last edited:
Bit of a random question but which AFL-aligned VFL club would have the weakest non-AFL listed players?

Hard to know in off season as not many would know which non-AFL players are helping clubs like Geelong, Footscray, Richmond, Collingwood and Essendon that have AFL-aligned VFL teams.

Melbourne, Carlton, St.Kilda, Hawthorn and North Melbourne as yet have not got an aligned team. They have affiliate arrangements with VFA clubs. North were with two VFA clubs. Next year just Werribee. It is all mixed up in VFL.

Hard to know in off season as not many would know which non-AFL players are helping clubs like Geelong, Footscray, Richmond, Collingwood and Essendon that have AFL-aligned VFL teams.

Melbourne, Carlton, St.Kilda, Hawthorn and North Melbourne as yet have not got an aligned team. They have affiliate arrangements with VFA clubs. North were with two VFA clubs. Next year just Werribee. It is all mixed up in VFL.

Agree that it's all mixed up, but the common view is the AFL aligned VFL clubs are Casey (Melbourne aligned), Sandringham (St Kilda for one more year), Werribee (North Melbourne), Northern (Carlton) and Box Hill (Hawthorn).

Of those, in my opinion the Northern Blues lacked the most depth in their non-AFL list in 2015. Werribee were probably the next weakest.

Lists change dramatically from season to season though.

Agree that it's all mixed up, but the common view is the AFL aligned VFL clubs are Casey (Melbourne aligned), Sandringham (St Kilda for one more year), Werribee (North Melbourne), Northern (Carlton) and Box Hill (Hawthorn).

Of those, in my opinion the Northern Blues lacked the most depth in their non-AFL list in 2015. Werribee were probably the next weakest.

Lists change dramatically from season to season though.
North Ballarat were definitely the next weakest, followed by Casey. Werribee had half a dozen players that almost made an AFL list.

North Ballarat were definitely the next weakest, followed by Casey. Werribee had half a dozen players that almost made an AFL list.

"Almost" made an AFL list. According to.....

You can't get almost pregnant.

Their development side was rubbish. I don't think we can judge them purely on their next best best 10 (who I agree were very handy).

As a whole, their non-AFL list of 50 was sub-standard.

"Almost" made an AFL list. According to.....

You can't get almost pregnant.

Their development side was rubbish. I don't think we can judge them purely on their next best best 10 (who I agree were very handy).

As a whole, their non-AFL list of 50 was sub-standard.
I judge on the performance in the seniors. Werribee's VFL players were better than their AFL players on many occasions.

I judge on the performance in the seniors. Werribee's VFL players were better than their AFL players on many occasions.

I just read the OP asking about which VFL club, and presumed they meant the club itself....not just the senior team.

Werribee clearly got the ordinary end of the North excess AFL listed player split.

I just read the OP asking about which VFL club, and presumed they meant the club itself....not just the senior team.

Werribee clearly got the ordinary end of the North excess AFL listed player split.
Yet they still significantly outperformed NB.

Really? North Ballarats best players weren't North Melbourne listed players..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back