VFL side on TV Saturday week

Remove this Banner Ad

badcat

Rookie
May 14, 2002
australia
Other Teams
Geelong
If anyone is interested our reserves will be shown live on chanel two at 1.10pm on Saturday week according to GFC site below.
And goodluck to Andrew Carrazzo if he represents the VFL.

A familiar name had a miraculous impact at Optus Oval on Saturday afternoon, that of Gary Ablett.

Just as his famous father had tormented the Blues on many occasions, Ablett Junior kicked four classy goals, and had a hand in several others, as Geelong romped away to win 24.16 (160) to 6.10 (46).

Playing in dry conditions and kicking with a strong breeze, the Cats showed their skills right from the opening bounce, when a chain of passes starting with Paul Chambers with a Steve Johnson goal.

David Mensch followed with a goal a minute later, and then Johnson snared his second, after pouncing on the ball in the goal square.

Ablett snapped a crafty kick at the ten-minute mark, which was quickly answered by former Cat turned Blue, Ezra Bray, providing Carlton their only joy for the quarter.

Cameron Mooney dodged two opponents to boot a long goal from 50-metres, and Ablett set up Johnson for another a minute later.

The Johnson - Ablett show continued with another goal shortly after, Johnson’s third for the quarter.

Johnson’s fourth was the result of a fortuitous bounce, which was followed by great goals to Andrew Carrazzo and Ablett, to give the Cats a massive 52-point lead at the first break.

The Cats didn’t slow down after the opening term. Matthew McCarthy kicked truly from a sharp angle, on the end of a pass from Johnson.

Carlton’s however, did change their work rate after the break, with goals to Ian Prendergast, Scott Freeborn and Ryan Houlihan.

Mooney was moved into defence and worked hard, his one slip up being a 50-metre penalty that had the big man raising his hand in apology to the coaches’ box.

The half-time margin was Geelong by an impressive 42-points.

The premiership quarter began with a number of missed opportunities for both sides before Andrew Merriman kicked a goal from a free kick, eight minutes into the quarter.

This opened the floodgates, with Ablett again delivering to Johnson for his fifth, then Daniel O’Brien brilliantly snapped one from a throw in.

Mensch took a reaching pack mark to set up his second, and Luke Powell added to the margin with a good snap.

Johnson kicked his sixth soon after, and then lined up for a seventh, which fell short to give Mooney the chance to capitalise with a mark and goal.

Mooney added another two minutes later, then he had a hand in the next goal setting up Josh Hunt with a long handball, which was slammed through from close range.

Mark Trevaskis typified the Cats spirit, diving to smother an almost certain goal just before the siren.

It was the Cats giving the Blues a football lesson by 97 points at the final change of ends.

Goals to Mensch, Ablett, Marc Woolnough, Ablett again, and Carrazzo put the win out of reach for the Blues during the final term.

Freeborn added a late goal for Carlton, but it was small consolation with Geelong finishing the day a mighty 114 points clear.

It was a dominant display by the Cats, and one in which Coach Ron Watt was particularly pleased with.

“It was an excellent win. I couldn’t ask the boys to play any better. They even saved a number of certain goals when the game was well in our keeping, which just typified the day,” Watt said.

The Cats even had the luxury of trying out a few positional moves, which at no stage seemed to slow the momentum at all.

“It was a chance to throw blokes around a little bit, just so they can get comfortable all over the ground, since they’re going to end up there at some stage.”

Ablett’s 34-possession, nine tackle and four goal performance stood out, with his class around the goals and creative handball outlining the natural ability he possesses.

“(Ablett) was excellent. He knows how to play and how to get the ball. He’s still learning different parts of the game, but he’s a more than willing student who really has a crack at everything he’s asked to.”

Adam Chatfield came up against his former side, and came away among his side’s best players with 30-possessions, leaving the Blues to puzzle what might be if he was still based at Optus Oval.
“(Chatfield) was very good today. He was very positive when he went near the ball and he used it pretty well.”

Johnson was as exciting to watch as his six goal, eight mark and 21-possession game would suggest.

“(Johnson’s) just one of those blokes that you love watching, cause you know he’s always a chance to do something exciting with it.”

Carrazzo’s 33-possessions and two goals may have all but assured him a starting spot in the midfield with the VFL representative side next weekend.

Geelong takes on Port Melbourne in two weeks at Skilled Stadium, a match that may see Tony Lockett return to Kardinia Park for the first time in many years.

“If (Lockett) plays it will be good for the supporters and good for our boys to come up against someone like that. Our games against Port have been very good in the last couple of years.”

That match will be at Skilled Stadium at 1.10pm (AEST) and will be featured on ABC TV as the VFL match of the round.

It will be good to see the VFL side play, even if it's on TV. We're doing very well this season in the VFL which is a sign that Geelong is developing some really good young players through it's ranks.

Go Cats!! :cool:
SeinDude

If Geelong does nothing else come draft time, young Carrazzo showed today that he can really play!! He has played only 9 VFL games, but managed to make the Victorian side and with McGrath and Mensch looking like retiring at the end of the season, we should be putting Carrazzo onto the senior list.

Other positives I thought were:

Daniel Foster got lots of the ball and looks to have regained his form and confidence.

Peter Street got some gametime after not spending much time on the ground in the seniors, and should be ready to go for the Richmond game next week.

McCarthy showed that he can play up forward, taking some good marks and kicking 4 goals.

David Mensch did some good work up forward, taking some good marks and kicking 4 goals.

James Rahilly found lots of the ball, and although his disposal lets him down sometimes, showed that he is in reasonable form.

James Bartel did some nice things, I can't remember him wasting many possessions. I think we'll be seeing him again in the seniors in the coming weeks.

David Johnson came back after 11 games out and got through the game ok.

All in all, it was a good win and good to see Geelong doing well in the VFL. In the top 2 and looking good for finals.

FINAL SCORE:
Geelong ... 14.12.96
Port Melb .. 9.11.65

Go Cats!! :cool:
SeinDude

i must admit i only saw the final qtr.

these are my conclusions...

danny obrien made too many mistakes, and probably won't see AFL action again. i hope for his sake, that i'm wrong.

McCarthy will be a champ. i hope he plays in the 2nd half of the season.

Menchy = champ. What a mark when he surrounded by like 5 opposition players. he should be in the team this week.

Bartel was solid, got the ball, never wasted it.

hopefully hunt will be just as good as sanderson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back