Discussion VFL Stars who were duds in the WAFL or SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was always a one eyed victorian but I remember watching a few sanfl finals as a young kid and I appreciated that league, I remember it being more skilful than the VFA. However recently I have been watching old WAFL and SANFL Grand Finals from the mid 70's through until 1981 so far. I find the WAFL to be every bit as skilled as the VFL and the SANFL comparable aswell. I know some absolute guns from WA and SA were duds in the VFL, a guy like Graham Cornes was such a terrific player but failed at North. Kevin Taylor couldn't make it at Sydney/South and Fitzroy from memory even though he was an amazing player in WA. Russell Ebert another example. It beggars belief to me that Cornes wasn't up to it when he tried the VFL. I know the footy was tougher in the VFL and crazy violent back in those days, could that be a reason?
However, I was also wondering, were there ever VFL stars who crossed to the WAFL or SANFL for any reason whatsoever and didn't make it?
Hi q, sorry to hear about your eye injury. As a Crow and Redlegs supporter, it’s a little tough to admit, but.. Rusell Ebert was one helluva footballer. To quote footy historian J. Devaney… "as close as any player in history to exhibiting complete mastery over all the essential skills of the game,"
R.I.P.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back