Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Reckon all of Close, Okunbor, N. Stevens, Jarvis, Atkins, Taheny, Narkle, Kreuger, Evans and SDK all in contention to get a game or two at one point or another
Loved Close last year, and could hope he gets chances because in the latter half of the year his output as the small defensive forward outdid Dahlhaus.

Narkle and Atkins will get games too, as Scott loves them both.

Really wonder where Kreuger comes in though with Hawkins and Cameron forward.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Loved Close last year, and could hope he gets chances because in the latter half of the year his output as the small defensive forward outdid Dahlhaus.

Agreed re: Close - looked grouse from the get go.

Re: Freddy, reckon he comes in for Rohan as a third mobile tall, IMO - given his flexibility and his ability below his knees/around the ground. Can also play defence too, so he's got that string to his now as well :)

Kreuger should be a CHB for mine...we have very little cover if Hendo gets injured or drops off in form.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I have big hopes for Freddy. A nice mobile tall with a lovely left foot.

He seems versatile enough to play in multiple roles.

Reckon he should be trialled as a CHB. With Ratagolea and now Neale/Greek assuming the ruck/key forward posts I reckon that his best opportunity to break in is to play as a key defender alongside DeKoning in the future.

Just read your post after posting mine. Great minds hey...

Ha i just saw that! Great work buddy. I think defence is kreugers best chance of games in tje short term and it happens to suit the teams needs. Hendo was great last year but he is near the end age wise and another key back coming through would give us flexibility with blicavs role.

The one thing id like us to do is sign 2 or 3 quite experienced gfl/vfl players to mentor our kids because apart from fort and jenkins and atkins we will have a very inexperienced vfl team next year.

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
The one thing id like us to do is sign 2 or 3 quite experienced gfl/vfl players to mentor our kids because apart from fort and jenkins and atkins we will have a very inexperienced vfl team next year.

Make one of those a KPD 26+. And a younger KPD (overlooked in the drafts eg a Falcon from last two drafts). Best available for the rest.

With 4 new names to add and taking out Tarca and Simpson and Clark in the AFL we might see

Jarvis De Koning Okunbor
Stevens Kreuger Guthrie
Holmes Constable Close
Dahlhouse Ratugolea Taheny
Atkins J. Jenkins Evans

Followers: D.Fort C. Stephens. Narkle

I.C. Tsapatolis, Brownless Neale +

We look a tad light for defenders and hence we have added Stevens
I am curious as to why some names are in red and others in black.
I cannot see the rationale for the different colours.
Can you enlighten me?

Last edited:

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
I am curious as to why some names are in red and others in black.
I cannot see the rational for the different colours.
Can you enlighten me?

If there was a rationale I have forgotten what it was. Life is like that for me!

Was tempted to make something up but not clever enough either.

I hope I didn't wear out any of your brain cells thinking about it.

If there was a rationale I have forgotten what it was. Life is like that for me!

Was tempted to make something up but not clever enough either.

I hope I didn't wear out any of your brain cells thinking about it.
That was a weird answer to a reasonable question.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Kreuger should be a CHB for mine...we have very little cover if Hendo gets injured or drops off in form.
It will be interesting how we setup. If we really go all out ..having someone like Freddie forward should allow him to shine if he has it. ... but I agree we should see the two young talls play in D thru the PS

MeffDog

Rookie
Oct 5, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
James Parsons, Toby Wooler and Alex Cincotta have joined Jordan Cunico at Carlton VFL side. Any news on our VFL signings?

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Looks like we might have some competition in the ruck next season...

So we're back to 'too many rucks is barely enough' now? How do the two new rucks get much time in the role when they've potentially got Abbott, Fort, and Rata all in the queue to play in the VFL as well?

So we're back to 'too many rucks is barely enough' now? How do the two new rucks get much time in the role when they've potentially got Abbott, Fort, and Rata all in the queue to play in the VFL as well?

Afl listed players will get priority in gametime and position on ground over vfl guys as we have always done. I doubt Abbott will play that many games for us if Fort and Jenkins and Neale are healthy but he will be a good leader to have around as our vfl group will be very young next year.

Genuine question - when was the last time we actually had all listed rucks fit & available at the same time for an extended period?

I'm not sure that we'd want to be throwing Neale & Tsapatolis in the deep end and being too reliant on them next season - and might actually be good for them to another another guy like Abbott to work with in the VFL

Reading the article on Abbott, I get the impression that next year is about finding balance between his studies, the new job and football commitments which include the GFL & VFL - so he may not be a weekly VFL addition

It may be a case that if we don't have at least one of Stanley, Fort or Ratugolea available in the VFL to partner up with the newbies, that Abbott will be in contention for those weeks

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I’ve been going on for a while about needing a ruck coach and young developing rucks. I’m really happy we’ve got the young rucks. And with Abbott, Fort and Stanley they’ve got some players to train and learn from. Plus there is the aflw ruck coach and doctor.
So it seems the ruck role is being taken with some more seriousness.

woopy doo

Senior List
Dec 15, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
I really like Close and Tahney. Jarvis didn’t really seem up to it. Will Uenkins get more than 3 games next year? We seem to have a real depth of tall ruck/forward combos now.

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
That was a weird answer to a reasonable question.

A very reasonable question. Sorry. My obtuse answer was not clear enough.

With reference to this

Jarvis De Koning Okunbor
Stevens
Kreuger Guthrie
Holmes Constable Close
Dahlhouse Ratugolea Taheny
Atkins J. Jenkins Evans

Followers: D.Fort C. Stephens. Narkle

I.C. Tsapatolis, Brownless Neale +

A better answer would have been I can't remember why I posted some players in red.

Cheers and go cats

bombersboy

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Not midfield player type id have though we need... would this say Tsapa and Neale is not going to play much
Looking at photos of Tsapatolis I would not expect him to play much ruck time next year. He is way under developed at this stage. My view is that those tall kids will need to be given time to grow into their bodies. There bodies are too immature to get knocked around with too much time in the ruck yet. Bringing Abbot back is a smart move. He also from memory came from a basketball background. Could be a valuable mentor for Tsapatolis on his journey.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Looking at photos of Tsapatolis I would not expect him to play much ruck time next year. He is way under developed at this stage. My view is that those tall kids will need to be given time to grow into their bodies. There bodies are too immature to get knocked around with too much time in the ruck yet. Bringing Abbot back is a smart move. He also from memory came from a basketball background. Could be a valuable mentor for Tsapatolis on his journey.

fair enough but I think we need a couple of players like him for the midfield. Id think delisted players might be worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back