VFL VFL: Geelong Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue along with all the things you raise is that he is not even putting on elite pressure anymore. Looks a shadow of the player he was. Definitely deserves to be dropped on from and I have a feeling this year they will drop players quite happily.

I always felt that the players we had in reserve were just not good enough to get a game, but that’s changed with some volume drafting done over the past few years and access to some quality kids.

This year, more than most, senior players will need to perform. Previously, reputation had sway and it probably still does to get a game, however to keep in the side, I don’t think it will matter.

Excited to see Max Holmes, you love the draftees that show up straight away in the early VFL games.
I wonder if he’s forward/current planning to replace Clarke if/when they trade him back to WA. It’s all contingencies, and don’t get me wrong - I’d love to keep both, but the recruiting teams do plan for these sorts of things. Having Smith playing quite well for us makes a huge difference in how we plan for wingmen. And Menegola and Duncan are great wingmen too. The midfield is quite crowded with Danger, Selwood, Constable, O’Connor and Guthrie being the first choices to work in there.

If Clarke has a decent year, then there’s potential value to be had in trading him to net a good pick and then trying to trade in Oliver Henry.

Anyway, just some thoughts on Holmes and why he was selected.

Or the club doesn't rate him as a forward and believe he has a better chance of a future at the club as a defender

We've been without Cameron for 2 weeks now, went into yesterdays VFL practice match knowing that Rohan was a chance at being suspended and yet they still decided the best option for Kreuger was down in defence

Surely if Krueger was in any serious consideration to be playing forward in the absence of Cameron and/or Rohan, they would actually train him & play him as a forward - something they ain't really doing
The planning and continuation keeping him there is the realisation that Blicavs is a weapon in the midfield for us. Having Kreuger and Atkins down back with Stewart means we become a very attacking mix.

For the first time in many years, we seem to have a glut of good players for all positions on the field. It’s the right way to actually get the team to the finals in form.

I wonder if he’s forward/current planning to replace Clarke if/when they trade him back to WA. It’s all contingencies, and don’t get me wrong - I’d love to keep both, but the recruiting teams do plan for these sorts of things. Having Smith playing quite well for us makes a huge difference in how we plan for wingmen. And Menegola and Duncan are great wingmen too. The midfield is quite crowded with Danger, Selwood, Constable, O’Connor and Guthrie being the first choices to work in there.

If Clarke has a decent year, then there’s potential value to be had in trading him to net a good pick and then trying to trade in Oliver Henry.

Anyway, just some thoughts on Holmes and why he was selected.
I have two thoughts. I don't think they see Holmes as a winger and Clark isn't going anywhere

The planning and continuation keeping him there is the realisation that Blicavs is a weapon in the midfield for us. Having Kreuger and Atkins down back with Stewart means we become a very attacking mix.

For the first time in many years, we seem to have a glut of good players for all positions on the field. It’s the right way to actually get the team to the finals in form.
In what way is Blicavs a weapon in the midfield? He fills holes To minimise them. But there is nothing advantageous of him being there. He never ever gets more then 20 touches a game. He often hésitâtes with disposal and is a poor disposér even when he doesn’t. His ruck work is still terrible. They didn’t even bother putting him in the centre bounce against the lions despite having no back up to Stanley cos he was so terrible there the week before. He offers nothing foward of centre. He can outmark a small mid on the wing in a one on one though. Not much of an advantage though.

Last edited:
Jarvis sucks. Couldn't get near it in the pre-season games. Jenkins is the obvious Rohan replacement.
Or they could just put krueger there. The irony is they are trialling krueger in defence cos we had Cameron, hawkins and sav as foward options. But now a second foward option has opened up.

How did Mackie ever do so well then?

ps. The vfl is senior footy. He wasn’t playing kids.

Mackie's physique has become a bit of an urban legend :think:

IIRC he was about 193cm and 87kg - saw him up close over here in the rooms before you had nets to keep you away from the players.
Without being creepy let me say he had a very decent set of powerful legs and a well defined torso - certainly wouldn't want to have run into him.
You don't kick running 60 metre goals on a consistent basis if you're a 90lb weakling;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott and the MC do like to back their experienced players and make tactical decisions considering the strengths/weaknesses of the opposition (no surprise there). They are less likely to take opportunities to debut players, even if they represent the ‘next gen’ (which is a mistake in my eyes).

Accordingly we are likely to keep Dahl, and bring back Duncan and/or Menegola if fit and bring in Fort or Jenkins to combat the extra Hawk ruck. Suspect Jarvis, Close etc will have to wait for more injuries for a chance. Holmes is a ‘tactical’ chance (as 23rd?) perhaps because of his speed and the MCG.

Are our coaches being too clever?
It’s all very well to recruit players based on the strengths and performance in their positions- so why do we then immediately switch them into other roles?
Talls need time to develop , I’d settle them into the rigours of AFL in the roles they know first.
Neale is a ruck / forward, SDK is a KPD , Kreuger was touted as a forward.
Let’s these guys gain some confidence and runs on the board before we turn them into versatile utilities ☹
We should look at Blitz - Mr versatile but as KPD he has a lot of work to do defending one on one. He’d be a lot more advanced if we’d left him as a KPD the last few years.
Often clubs will play forwards and rucks in VFL back roles as a way of fast tracking development- more involvement, particularly against good sides and teaching defensive skills. I suspect that this is the case for Neale and possibly Taheny - still penciled in for forward roles - but Kreuger could be a possible CHB Hendo replacement for injury or otherwise (his relative agility, second efforts and ability to roost 50m+ passes would be very handy as a replacement) but still very raw as a KPD - would struggle at AFL level at the moment (also fitness down after delayed pre season).

In any case, lots of development still required - all three are long shots to play this year (and Taheny and possibly Freddie could lose spots if not showing real promise for 2022).

Last edited:
Close was quite slow for a small foward. Had zero x factor. Too small. He won’t make it. Don’t confuse endeavour with talent.

With respect that's a terrible call - there's plenty of endeavour and talent as well.
I saw him debut over here - incredibly clean hands , positioning was A1 , decision making extremely good for a newbie and got involved in score chains - things happened when he got the ball.
Sure he can find more of the footy but he's a natural forward and a smart , skilled footballer.
Need to see more of him.

With respect that's a terrible call - there's plenty of endeavour and talent as well.
I saw him debut over here - incredibly clean hands , positioning was A1 , decision making extremely good for a newbie and got involved in score chains - things happened when he got the ball.
Sure he can find more of the footy but he's a natural forward and a smart , skilled footballer.
Need to see more of him.
Agree- quite surprised by criticism of Close - his closing (pun unavoidable) speed, decision making, hands, tackling are very good. Whilst limited in range his footskills look pretty good. Only knock was that he was super light - perhaps could do with a bit more muscle to impose himself.

Last edited:
In what way is Blicavs a weapon in the midfield? He fills holes To minimise them. But there is nothing advantageous of him being there. He never ever gets more then 20 touches a game. He often hésitâtes with disposal and is a poor disposér even when he doesn’t. His ruck work is still terrible. They didn’t even bother putting him in the centre bounce against the lions despite having no back up to Stanley cos he was so terrible there the week before. He offers nothing foward of centre. He can outmark a small mid on the wing in a one on one though. Not much of an advantage though.
Probably a 'unique' weapon, is what I meant. He fills holes across the ground, is big, is involved and committed with his play. I think he's actually someone that forces opposition teams to change their style or adapt to him. He is not damaging in an attacking sense, rather, in a defensive sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back