VFL to become 'Eastern AFL' in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

local footy fan

All Australian
Jan 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Same with the other clubs. They’d have to be voted into those leagues by their existing clubs and most probably wouldn’t be.
Given the track record of AFL they will only want to support the afl reserves team an the stand along will be left to flounder and die They will be all apologetic and full of sympathy but at the end of the day they will quote economics when this day comes i will lay a huge turd on their door step as a sign of protest.

chislet5

Debutant
Apr 29, 2012
ivanhoe
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
england cricket team
Unfortunately Alan Aylett isn’t Dead but old VFA clubs and Aspey and Southport will be and will be blown away in 2021 in the EAFL as 2021 will be the only year the comp will be around.
As in 2022 the AFL will have a Reserves comp .
As for Southport and Aspey will play in the QAFL and the old VFA clubs will Be playing in local comps.
Willing to have copious amounts that aspley and Southport don’t get “blown away” they will be very competitive and will knock off some of the afl clubs for certain.

Luca Toni Time

Debutant
Mar 28, 2011
Nsw
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Willing to have copious amounts that aspley and Southport don’t get “blown away” they will be very competitive and will knock off some of the afl clubs for certain.
Agree with this - Aspley will be able to pick off the best 4-8 players out of Redland and i see they have also signed J Allison, R Bastinac and C Lyons. They will be very hard to beat early in the year, especially at home. Haven't seen much from who Southport have signed but they don't usually have too much of an issue attracting good players, no doubt they will be well represented from players who have fallen off the Gold Coast list over the past 1-2 years and will also be very hard to beat at home.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree with this - Aspley will be able to pick off the best 4-8 players out of Redland and i see they have also signed J Allison, R Bastinac and C Lyons. They will be very hard to beat early in the year, especially at home. Haven't seen much from who Southport have signed but they don't usually have too much of an issue attracting good players, no doubt they will be well represented from players who have fallen off the Gold Coast list over the past 1-2 years and will also be very hard to beat at home.
So...what happens with Sydney and GWS? The virus is about to explode up there. I can't see them partaking.

Rickee

Team Captain
May 23, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Redan
So...what happens with Sydney and GWS? The virus is about to explode up there. I can't see them partaking.
If the borders remain closed into April when the season is set to start, both clubs will have to relocate anyway for AFL purposes. The VFA stand alones barely survived 2020, they'll fight any delay or cancellation tooth and nail.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the borders remain closed into April when the season is set to start, both clubs will have to relocate anyway for AFL purposes. The VFA stand alones barely survived 2020, they'll fight any delay or cancellation tooth and nail.
The show must go in this year. The issue will be their top up players and where they get them from if it does happen.

local footy fan

All Australian
Jan 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
what happens the non afl clubs as their players are not full time and have jobs are the afl going to pay theses teams to go into hubs as well? My guess would be the afl dumps them like a hot rock and just goes with the afl reserves teams and use covid as the excuses to dump the stand alone teams

Rickee

Team Captain
May 23, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Redan
what happens the non afl clubs as their players are not full time and have jobs are the afl going to pay theses teams to go into hubs as well? My guess would be the afl dumps them like a hot rock and just goes with the afl reserves teams and use covid as the excuses to dump the stand alone teams
I don't understand your point here. There are only 2 non-AFL reserves teams based outside of Victoria. It makes no sense for the Victorian based clubs to go into any hubs, if Victoria allows sport to be played they will just get on with playing the other clubs based in Victoria.

local footy fan

All Australian
Jan 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't understand your point here. There are only 2 non-AFL reserves teams based outside of Victoria. It makes no sense for the Victorian based clubs to go into any hubs, if Victoria allows sport to be played they will just get on with playing the other clubs based in Victoria.

local footy fan

All Australian
Jan 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
My point is if the boarders get closed again some teams are going to have to move states too play either the nsw and qld teams come here or the vic teams go interstate

Rickee

Team Captain
May 23, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Redan
My point is if the boarders get closed again some teams are going to have to move states too play either the nsw and qld teams come here or the vic teams go interstate
But.........it's a Victorian based competition. Frankston and Coburg are not going to relocate to Qld to play VFL. the four AFL reserves sides will either relocate here or withdraw and play amongst themselves. Only Aspley and Southport would be affected.

local footy fan

All Australian
Jan 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
But.........it's a Victorian based competition. Frankston and Coburg are not going to relocate to Qld to play VFL. the four AFL reserves sides will either relocate here or withdraw and play amongst themselves. Only Aspley and Southport would be affected.
no it not just a vic based competition any more that's why the vfl has been renamed eastern afl because there is now the reserves from syd ,gws, brisbane gold coast and some neafl teams included as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
no it not just a vic based competition any more that's why the vfl has been renamed eastern afl because there is now the reserves from syd ,gws, brisbane gold coast and some neafl teams included as well
Majority of clubs are in Victoria. QLD is all clear atm. The only clubs that could be affcted are the Sydney based ones. No VFL Clubs will be relocated into a hub I can assure you. At this stage all VFL clubs are able to resume full training and the situation appears to be under control in Victoria. The issue will come from NSW in coming weeks if restrictions arent tightened.

local footy fan

All Australian
Jan 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Majority of clubs are in Victoria. QLD is all clear atm. The only clubs that could be affcted are the Sydney based ones. No VFL Clubs will be relocated into a hub I can assure you. At this stage all VFL clubs are able to resume full training and the situation appears to be under control in Victoria. The issue will come from NSW in coming weeks if restrictions arent tightened.
Funny I have heard the the afl has plan B ready to go and is looking to wind back numbers to 10 at a time again for training .The afl will only do what is in the best interest of the afl and stuff the rest .

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Funny I have heard the the afl has plan B ready to go and is looking to wind back numbers to 10 at a time again for training .The afl will only do what is in the best interest of the afl and stuff the rest .
The reason for that is that some WA based players are stranded
atm and the AFL is attempting to make it equitable for all clubs in a training sense. A Release today states that VFL is not affected by this directive .

local footy fan

All Australian
Jan 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
The reason for that is that some WA based players are stranded
atm and the AFL is attempting to make it equitable for all clubs in a training sense. A Release today states that VFL is not affected by this directive .
thats nice of them . But is there a vfl left now? I thought it had been scraped for this new league

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeh, i second this question (and the VFL site is useless).

Its Eastern AFL (which is effectively AFL reserves) then a psuedo VFL (with Northern, Frankston, Coburg) as well as some AFL thirds sides (if they have them)

Remove this Banner Ad