The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
The VFL & NEAFL will combine into one Second-Tier Competition that will sit alongside the SANFL and the WAFL in 2021.

AFL Clubs based in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria will be provided with flexibility to determine the form of their involvement in Second-Tier Football in 2021 with three options available to each of those Clubs:

• Field a standalone team
  • Align with an existing Second-Tier Club
  • Spread their AFL-listed players across multiple Second-Tier Clubs.
The AFL today confirmed there will be no license fee payable by AFL Clubs to participate in the 2021 VFL & East Coast Competition and that it will continue to work with standalone VFL and NEAFL Clubs on their potential involvement in the competition. The AFL will continue to work with AFL Clubs participating in the SANFL and WAFL and those competitions ahead of their respective 2021 seasons.

Next Generation Academies

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
meant to be the most powerful club in the league with 100,000 members yet still cant afford a VFL or VFLW side..

I guess that fine last week didnt help but you cant cure stupidity
Still dont understand it when they have the most members in the league. What are they wasting their money on?

If one of the richest clubs in the league cant field their own reserves side, who can?

There will not be enough VFL clubs for those AFL clubs wanting an alignment I reckon...

Most Richmond members are paying for a fridge magnet, not a season's worth of tickets.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
meant to be the most powerful club in the league with 100,000 members yet still cant afford a VFL or VFLW side..

I guess that fine last week didnt help but you cant cure stupidity

So the reigning premier is not fronting up?

Hasn't the Tiges made $3m profits several years in a row?

AFL clubs treat the VFL with contempt.

Play when it suits and expect to be accommodated.

Jul 2, 2006
So the reigning premier is not fronting up?
Hasn't the Tiges made $3m profits several years in a row?
AFL clubs treat the VFL with contempt.
Play when it suits and expect to be accommodated.
In business its called having a clear focus..... maybe Richmond have been so successful over the last 5 years because they haven't worried about AFLW or VFL....

In business its called having a clear focus..... maybe Richmond have been so successful over the last 5 years because they haven't worried about AFLW or VFL....
Actually I'd say their attitude to the VFL has been the opposite and has definitely contributed to their success.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

Well when a business outsources some control of its "assets" (players) it loses some control of its business.

Several VFL alignments have failed because one or both parties have been in conflict over the control or use of the AFL listed players playing in the aligned club's VFL team.

Such conflicts would be distracting for both and bang goes your "focus" you are hoping for.

I dont think its a coincidence that both the Dogs and Tigers have both won AFL premierships upon forming stand alone VFL teams. Both have also won VFL premierships in the year of their AFL flags.

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
Former Richmond AFL player Jake Batchelor named new coach of Sandringham

Announcement of new state league delayed until AFL GF

I understand it will be a 16 round competition beginning on Anzac Day weekend

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Former Richmond AFL player Jake Batchelor named new coach of Sandringham

Announcement of new state league delayed until AFL GF

I understand it will be a 16 round competition beginning on Anzac Day weekend
hmm interestingly looks like you wont play each team.

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
In Victoria games can not start before April 23 as cricket has grounds until April 18 in a state government deal

All Victorian Stand Alone clubs have been maintained including Northern Bullants "Preston" Return

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
Clubs have been sent licenses to sign off
I understand Southport, Aspley and Sydney Uni maybe the old NEAFL clubs to sign on obvious with Lions,Swans,Giants and Suns

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
If someone closes their border again at some point next season, the comp will be effd. IMO, until covid is declared officially over, the VFL should remain in Victoria, and the NEAFL should be reinstated for the northern states.

If the new comp begins and in may someone closes their border, it disrupts everyone. Its better to solidify each comp to guaratee a resolution of the season, and begin the new one in 2022.

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
I am hearing at least 1 AFL Club (Richmond) that will use NAB League players as top up players and will not have a full time coach as they will rotate assistant coaches during the season.

Also my understanding that these NAB League players will not train with club/s just turn up on match day

Derby103

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2006
Macclesfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am hearing at least 1 AFL Club (Richmond) that will use NAB League players as top up players and will not have a full time coach as they will rotate assistant coaches during the season.

Also my understanding that these NAB League players will not train with club/s just turn up on match day

I wondered how they were planning to make it an even bigger farce than it has been since 2000.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

How can that be in the best interest of the VFL / NEAFL and its clubs? Let the NAB Cup players play in the NAB Cup. Dragging these players away from the NAB Cup to plug holes in a VFL team will only weaken the NAB Cup which will affect all AFL clubs who pay the costs of running the NAB Cup and who heavily rely on for recruiting.

Also hoping stand alone VFL teams are not forced into alignments with AFL teams against their wishes.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
How can that be in the best interest of the VFL / NEAFL and its clubs? Let the NAB Cup players play in the NAB Cup. Dragging these players away from the NAB Cup to plug holes in a VFL team will only weaken the NAB Cup which will affect all AFL clubs who pay the costs of running the NAB Cup and who heavily rely on for recruiting.

Also hoping stand alone VFL teams are not forced into alignments with AFL teams against their wishes.
I guess they see it as a pathway. 1st grade being the AFL, Reserve grade being the EasternVFL, and NAB u18s. A NAB U18 kid selected to play vs the EasternVFL men is a promotion, and to see how he handles the step up in his draft year. Same as at clubland level.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I guess they see it as a pathway. 1st grade being the AFL, Reserve grade being the EasternVFL, and NAB u18s. A NAB U18 kid selected to play vs the EasternVFL men is a promotion, and to see how he handles the step up in his draft year. Same as at clubland level.

Yeh agree and get that but the AFL / Clubs fund the NAB Cup and i can't see the clubs allowing one of its group to take a player / players into their club via their VFL team.

I know any club can still draft that player at the next draft but that player could be influenced. Taking multiple players out the NAB Cup would weaken it and adversely impact development of other NAB Cup players. The NAB Cup is already compromised by the many players who are obligated to play for their school in the APS and other school comps.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
Richmonds VFLW license has been awarded to Port Melbourne, who have become a host club for the Tigers AFLW players.

I'm now considerably concerned the same deal might have been struck for our mens team, given Richmonds reluctance to compete in either competition going forward.

Back