VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Premierships will be hard to win in a 22 team competition.

Good to see the original Bullants return in their original form.

Who knows where 2nd tier footy in this part of the country goes if this new venture fails like the NEAFL did.

Premierships will be hard to win in a 22 team competition.

Good to see the original Bullants return in their original form.

Who knows where 2nd tier footy in this part of the country goes if this new venture fails like the NEAFL did.
Victoria now has no genuine second tier state competition. I hope a state premier league of some description forms in the coming years.

With the extremely low salary cap and list rules giving kids priority over experienced talent, this new competition will not be anywhere near as strong or attractive to players as a genuine state premier league could be.

I would have liked to see a couple of regional/ outer suburban growth corridors given a birth.

Interesting to see only Qld based Southport and Aspley made the jump out of non AFL reserve clubs. I'm hoping the 16 games means only a few interstate trips, that will be the biggest hurdle for stand alones. Still personally hoping for conferences.

9C25BE1F-1171-4E24-8090-8269FAF60190.png B6A9F504-4F82-4380-B817-06BEB579CD37.jpeg

Aspley and Box Hill have the same colours wonder what they will do when these two play against each other.

Interesting to see only Qld based Southport and Aspley made the jump out of non AFL reserve clubs. I'm hoping the 16 games means only a few interstate trips, that will be the biggest hurdle for stand alones. Still personally hoping for conferences.

Well those are the only two teams aside from the now-defunct NT Thunder and the AFL reserves sides to win premierships in the NEAFL. I'm assuming the Vic teams got priority, so there were only a couple spots left for the standalone NEAFL teams.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the same situation for Aspley, but it also may be because Gold Coast and Southport had a semi-alignment in the NEAFL, where unselected Southport players were the top-up players for Gold Coast's NEAFL team (they didn't have a proper reserves list). I'm assuming this may be the same case with Brisbane and Aspley, but I'm not sure. Not sure how it worked for the Sydney teams though.

As for conferences, probably unlikely given there are only 6 northern teams. I do think it's possible the leagues could split into VFL and NEAFL again in the future though.

As for conferences, probably unlikely given there are only 6 northern teams. I do think it's possible the leagues could split into VFL and NEAFL again in the future though.

If the VIC border is in a state of flux next winter due to a Labor Gov and 3 people with the sniffles, It may happen sooner than you think..

I was thinking that all the former NEAFL teams plus a few AFL reserves sides plus the aligned sides could form one conference, with the remaining AFL reserves joining the VFL stand alones. This would help to reduce travel (especially if that is still limited by Covid) and avoid too many lop sided scores. Each team in the conference plays 10 games against the others and has 6 cross conference games, 3 at home and 3 away. Top 4 make finals and winners of Conference Finals play in Grand Final.

I was thinking that all the former NEAFL teams plus a few AFL reserves sides plus the aligned sides could form one conference, with the remaining AFL reserves joining the VFL stand alones. This would help to reduce travel (especially if that is still limited by Covid) and avoid too many lop sided scores. Each team in the conference plays 10 games against the others and has 6 cross conference games, 3 at home and 3 away. Top 4 make finals and winners of Conference Finals play in Grand Final.
Conferences could work, but that seems counterintuitive to merging to the two leagues together in the first place. I mean, they could've just had the Queensland teams play in the QAFL, and Sydney teams in the Sydney AFL, or revert back to the NEAFL's original format of a northern conference and eastern conference.

The article states Victorian teams will have alignments to the NAB league, and given both competitions are starting at the same time, it makes me think they may base it on that structure, where the Victorian teams all play each other once, and the Northern teams will only play a handful of games in this league (or at least, will only play Victorian teams a handful of times).

Will be interesting to see where it goes and how well it works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that is eactly the trouble with the VFA as it has become. The AFL pushes the line that as soon as 1897 hit, the VFA virtually ceased to exist other than to provide Richmond in 1908 and Footscray, Hawthorn and North in 1925. Other than that, they refused to acknowledge the rich and vital history of the competition.

It has lead to the apathy from generations of footy fans, giving the AFL the opportunity to take the competition over and slowly dismantle it, forcing clubs with long, successful histories and passionate supporters into mothballs.

Because nobody cares.

I can guarantee you that the old VFA clubs has some supporters who live, breath and would die for their club. To say that they have no supporters who care is far from the truth.

I can guarantee you that the old VFA clubs has some supporters who live, breath and would die for their club. To say that they have no supporters who care is far from the truth.

Agree. The old VFA clubs do have supporters who care, evidenced by the re-birth of the Bullants.

That wasn't driven by the AFL but by Preston people.

Do you think the northern clubs will have memberships for Vic supporters down here to go and watch the team play when they are playing away games in Victoria in the VFL?

I am at Port every chance I can get, so I have seen this first hand. What I meant was that the wider community has been convinced into apathy over the VFA because the AFL doesn't promote it's history as important (or at all)

Do you think the northern clubs will have memberships for Vic supporters down here to go and watch the team play when they are playing away games in Victoria in the VFL?

I did some research for you and it looks doubtful. The 2 clubs i looked at appeared to not prioritise memberships and didnt seem to push them so very doubtful they will set up interstate memberships when their home memberships seem to have little importance. Another reason is that Southport and Aspley would very much question if they would sell interstate memberships considering it being unlikely to have any supporters here.

VFL games are pretty affordable anyway with the maximum being 10$ and some games being free.

I did some research for you and it looks doubtful. The 2 clubs i looked at appeared to not prioritise memberships and didnt seem to push them so very doubtful they will set up interstate memberships when their home memberships seem to have little importance. Another reason is that Southport and Aspley would very much question if they would sell interstate memberships considering it being unlikely to have any supporters here.

VFL games are pretty affordable anyway with the maximum being 10$ and some games being free.
I’m more so looking at the AFL club supporters in Melb of the Suns , lions, swans and giants

It would be a very smart move to try to pull in a few hundred extra fans. Even if the home VFL/AFL Reserves club lets them in free it is an opportunity to make money from food and drink.

Not all clubs. There are not any Box Hill supporters left who are not also Hawthorn supporters. A coupe of dozen were still going t games after the merger but all dropped off after the club adopted the Hawthorn jumper around a decade ago. Also I am pretty sure not single Springvale fan still goes to games at Casey.
Bullants are a little different - they have a sister club Northen Bullants in the VAFA who play nearby, and Preston Bullants is a strong junior club who also play at Cramer St.

I’m more so looking at the AFL club supporters in Melb of the Suns , lions, swans and giants
A lot of older Swans supporters in Melbourne are also Borough fans, the two clubs have a history together.

All I know is that St Kilda either still does or used to offer free entry to all Sandringham home games as part of the Saints membership. Got into trouble a few years ago when they accidently tweeted that Saints members would get in free to an away game at North port, which was entirely untrue. Poor gate people had arguments with several Saints members.

Not all clubs. There are not any Box Hill supporters left who are not also Hawthorn supporters. A coupe of dozen were still going t games after the merger but all dropped off after the club adopted the Hawthorn jumper around a decade ago. Also I am pretty sure not single Springvale fan still goes to games at Casey.
Bullants are a little different - they have a sister club Northen Bullants in the VAFA who play nearby, and Preston Bullants is a strong junior club who also play at Cramer St.

The post said the old VFA clubs, i wouldnt consider Box Hill, Casey or Sandringham to be old VFA clubs because reality is that their AFL affiliates have taken over their club and are moreso reserve teams for their conterpart rather than a old VFA club. The stand alone clubs of Werribee, Williamstown, Port Melbourne, Coburg, Frankston are the ones that comment was directed to all of which have supporters who put their club ahead of any other club *including AFL clubs*. Personally i know several Port supporters who have not missed a single home and away game for years, others have been members for decades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back