VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like half the Super 66 logo!!

That logo has teams who are not included in the competition and ommits the most successful teams of the comp, Port Melbourne Borough and Williamstown. The slogan "A New AFL reserves competition " is a little inaccurate as well. Nearly half the competition is comprised of clubs not AFL reserves. Clubs like Port Melbourne would look at that slogan and think are we playing in a AFL reserves competition are we ?? Its more accurate to say that the AFL reserves are playing in the old VFA - they joined the VFA not the other way around.

If the VFLW can start Feb 1, surely the. VFL can start before April 23. There are enough grounds.
A deal was signed between AFL Victoria and Cricket Victoria. Local leagues in Victoria are also suppose to not start before April 23, although I know some have scheduled for earlier. So having grounds available is irrelevant.

You forgot Coburg.

The AFL have waived fees and are subsidising travel for the standalone clubs in 2021 but how long do you think they will absorb that? I think 2021 will be a test for the standalone clubs to see if they can survive "on their own" in the league.

We need pokies. We ain't going to get them. We'll be playing EDFL or NFL as soon as the AFL stops ponying up.

Thoughts on Coburg's 2021 squad? Is it their strongest for some time? pic taken from their social media.

Attachments

• 2021 playing list.jpg
    2021 playing list.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Thoughts on Coburg's 2021 squad? Is it their strongest for some time?
Needs a better ruck than Swizza, but yeah it's very strong. Forward line could be awesome.

Needs a better ruck than Swizza, but yeah it's very strong. Forward line could be awesome.

Yeah fair point. Finalised their list really early haven't they? Not many rucks around I'd assume... look at the AFL, absolute dodo's like Hickey, Zac Smith, Vardy, Stanley, etc... get a 10 year AFL career.

Nick Meese to come out of retirement to play for the Bullants. He began his career there and his dad was a premiership player so the emotional lure is strong. Making similar overtures to Adam Marcon who is in the same boat RE playing there and son of a club legend, but he would be sacrificing a lot of cash. Still a chance though. they have asked the question of Heath Shaw, also obviously trying to tug at the heartstrings as well, with father Ray being amongst Preston's best ever but this will not happen.

Yeah fair point. Finalised their list really early haven't they? Not many rucks around I'd assume... look at the AFL, absolute dodo's like Hickey, Zac Smith, Vardy, Stanley, etc... get a 10 year AFL career.
Wouldnt say really early, Port has also finalised their list putting together a very competitive squad with some good targeted recruits (as you would expect).

The old vfa sides better watch their collective backs if things turn tough the hemorrhoids at the afl will dump them as quick as Carlton did with Preston at the start of covid this year.The toss pots at the afl have no loyalty or give a monkeys about tradition and history of the old vfa clubs , Jack Hamilton and Alan Allett will have a full on fat from the grave seeing their dream of eradication of the vfa coming true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The old vfa sides better watch their collective backs if things turn tough the hemorrhoids at the afl will dump them as quick as Carlton did with Preston at the start of covid this year.The toss pots at the afl have no loyalty or give a monkeys about tradition and history of the old vfa clubs , Jack Hamilton and Alan Allett will have a full on fat from the grave seeing their dream of eradication of the vfa coming true

Allan is not dead is he?

Unfortunately Alan Aylett isn’t Dead but old VFA clubs and Aspey and Southport will be and will be blown away in 2021 in the EAFL as 2021 will be the only year the comp will be around.
As in 2022 the AFL will have a Reserves comp .
As for Southport and Aspey will play in the QAFL and the old VFA clubs will Be playing in local comps.

Unfortunately Alan Aylett isn’t Dead but old VFA clubs and Aspey and Southport will be and will be blown away in 2021 in the EAFL as 2021 will be the only year the comp will be around.
As in 2022 the AFL will have a Reserves comp .
As for Southport and Aspey will play in the QAFL and the old VFA clubs will Be playing in local comps.
I could not agree with you anymore .From where I sit the afl are a bunch self centered sperm receptacles who are untouchable and accountable

I could not agree with you anymore .From where I sit the afl are a bunch self centered sperm receptacles who are untouchable and accountable
Werribee,Port Melbourne and Williamstown will be in the WRFL.
Coberg and Preston will be in the NFL.
Casey in the Outer East.
Frankston in the MPFL.
Sandringham in the SFNL.
Box Hill in the EFL.
Only way I could see these clubs being in the same comp is a break away comp EG:An old style VFA with different rules plus new ideas and to bring back some sort of suburban rivalry with tradional clubs plus some new clubs added.
The problems they would is getting good Promotion,Media and getting the right people to run it.
If this wasn’t to happen the above clubs They won’t survive and can’t see the AFL propping them up by paying interstate travel and by paying no fees then let them die.

Frankston can’t be in the MPNFL, as they would not be accepted. It was spoken about after 2016.

give the new league a chance

Werribee,Port Melbourne and Williamstown will be in the WRFL.
Coberg and Preston will be in the NFL.
Casey in the Outer East.
Frankston in the MPFL.
Sandringham in the SFNL.
Box Hill in the EFL.
Only way I could see these clubs being in the same comp is a break away comp EG:An old style VFA with different rules plus new ideas and to bring back some sort of suburban rivalry with tradional clubs plus some new clubs added.
The problems they would is getting good Promotion,Media and getting the right people to run it.
If this wasn’t to happen the above clubs They won’t survive and can’t see the AFL propping them up by paying interstate travel and by paying no fees then let them die.
Coburg would be in the EDFL if anything

Frankston can’t be in the MPNFL, as they would not be accepted. It was spoken about after 2016.

give the new league a chance
The AFL has been quite clear that the 2021 hybrid comp season is a transitional one and there will probably be more changes for 2022. I feel there will be a move towards a full or partial AFL reserves competition in the next few years. I can only hope that they also choose to support a revival of a Victorian state league competition. The other states and territories all have one and they wouldn't want to lose local players to the WAFL/SANFL. The only snag to that may be upping the age limit in the NAB League to fill the void.

At the end of the day, as long as Port Melbourne survive, I'm happy for us to play in a state league, hybrid reserves comp or even the amateurs. The VFA is gone and it won't come back, even if the name is revived it won't be the same.

The AFL has been quite clear that the 2021 hybrid comp season is a transitional one and there will probably be more changes for 2022. I feel there will be a move towards a full or partial AFL reserves competition in the next few years. I can only hope that they also choose to support a revival of a Victorian state league competition. The other states and territories all have one and they wouldn't want to lose local players to the WAFL/SANFL. The only snag to that may be upping the age limit in the NAB League to fill the void.

At the end of the day, as long as Port Melbourne survive, I'm happy for us to play in a state league, hybrid reserves comp or even the amateurs. The VFA is gone and it won't come back, even if the name is revived it won't be the same.
it would be hard for the two port Melbourne's to survive in suburban comps both wearing same jumper.

Same with the other clubs. They’d have to be voted into those leagues by their existing clubs and most probably wouldn’t be.
Given the track record of AFL they will only want to support the afl reserves team an the stand along will be left to flounder and die They will be all apologetic and full of sympathy but at the end of the day they will quote economics when this day comes i will lay a huge turd on their door step as a sign of protest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back