VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have more info on this? Do you know if it's the Demons returning (or another big club like Ainslie), or is it a joint AFL Canberra entity?
I have no more info on this, Pear.
I was up on Canberra footy while Qbn and Tuggeranong were playing but now I'm 300km away and I don't know.
I know from Canberra's comments as they waved the E-VFL thingy goodbye that they wanted to be a player in AFL matters by providing a strong pathway.
I expect that the AFL would want to encourage that, seeing as so many good players come from that area and the O&M. But that's all I know.

I have no more info on this, Pear.
I was up on Canberra footy while Qbn and Tuggeranong were playing but now I'm 300km away and I don't know.
I know from Canberra's comments as they waved the E-VFL thingy goodbye that they wanted to be a player in AFL matters by providing a strong pathway.
I expect that the AFL would want to encourage that, seeing as so many good players come from that area and the O&M. But that's all I know.

No worries, it'll be interesting to see if anything pans out in the future.

My preference would be a new team, rather than a current team representing all of Canberra. I think it'd get more support.

A strong Canberra VFL team is also good for GWS with the ACT in your catchment area!

Does anyone know once the VFL does start up, if any games will be on tv and which channels will have it or only some games not all will be on tv this year ?
One game per round will be televised live on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon on Channel Seven.
Some additional games on a Thursday or Friday night may be shown on Fox Footy.

The Round 1 Channel Seven telecast game is:
Box Hill Hawks v Casey Demons, Box Hill City Oval, Sunday 12.05pm

This will lead into their coverage of the Hawthorn v Melbourne AFL game which starts at 3.20pm.

With Port Melbourne and Essendon both playing away in Brisbane (at this stage) you'd hope there would be a telecast via YouTube. And hope they try harder with the coverage than they have for the VFLW, which has been pretty dire.

With Port Melbourne and Essendon both playing away in Brisbane (at this stage) you'd hope there would be a telecast via YouTube. And hope they try harder with the coverage than they have for the VFLW, which has been pretty dire.
I was thinking the Port Melbourne v Aspley match appears to be a mouthwatering clash for FTA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first browse of fixture and one thing I like. They finally got reserves draw more aligned with whom AFL team playing now. If we playing Geelong in AFL we also play Geelong in this comp too. About bloody time.
Next step is to get day games in Victoria have a curtain raiser before it of your reserves side.
If we play Essendon at MCG in day on a Saturday they should also have both our reserves playing at the G before it too.

It has been determined the re-set rule in the 2021 VFL Competition will no longer require:

• Reset at Kick Ins
  • Have a player stationed in the Goal Square at Kick Ins or Boundary Throw Ins
  • Have three players Inside 50 at Kick Ins or Boundary Throw Ins
However, the following will be required:

Two players to be stationed inside 50 metres at each Boundary Throw In stoppage

A minimum of two Players from each team to be stationed Inside 50 metres at all Boundary Throw Ins. The officiating Umpire will not recommence play until all players are in position. Where a team fails to comply at a Boundary Throw In within 12 seconds, a Free Kick shall be awarded to the Player of the opposing Team at the point of the stoppage.

Please find below the three rule adjustments which will apply to the 2021 VFL Premiership Season.

1 / Player Standing The Mark
The defending Player will not be permitted to move off The Mark in any direction prior to “Play On” being called. If the defending Player moves off The Mark in any direction prior to “Play On” being called, a 50 metre Penalty will apply. The defensive team is unable to substitute the Player on The Mark.

2 / Location of The Mark at Kick Ins
The Mark shall be set at 15 metres from the centre of the Kick-Off Line towards the centre of the ground at Kick Ins. This was previously set at 10 metres.

3 / Two players to be stationed inside 50 metres at each boundary throw in stoppage
A minimum of two Players from each team to be stationed inside 50 metres at all Boundary Throw Ins. The officiating Umpire will not recommence play until all players are in position. Where a team fails to comply at a Boundary Throw In within 12 seconds, a Free Kick shall be awarded to the Player of the opposing Team at the point of the stoppage.

Please note: There is no cap on total player interchanges in the VFL.

My first browse of fixture and one thing I like. They finally got reserves draw more aligned with whom AFL team playing now. If we playing Geelong in AFL we also play Geelong in this comp too. About bloody time.
Next step is to get day games in Victoria have a curtain raiser before it of your reserves side.
If we play Essendon at MCG in day on a Saturday they should also have both our reserves playing at the G before it too.

I find the curtain raisers, especially at Marvel, completely soulless. Sadly, almost no AFL fans are interested in showing up for them either. You're a Carlton fan? In 2019 N. Blues played Collingwood at Marvel as a curtain raiser before Carlton vs West Coast and it was utterly dead. Absolute silence during the quarters and Marvel's sh**ty music absolutely blaring at the breaks and after goals. It was awful.

I'd much prefer what we have to look forward to in Rds 1 & 2 this year, ressies playing at Princes Park early in the day where you'll get 1,000 people turning up who are actually there to watch the game and cheer the team on. No "matchday entertainment" with advertising everywhere, you get out on the ground at the quarter time breaks, kick-to-kick at half-time, sausage sizzle.....you know...a proper VFL experience. Then you've got the AFL and all it's trappings later in the day if you fancy it. That's 100 times better in my book. Maybe it's fighting the inevitable, but the day the VFL comp is swallowed whole by the AFL like this will be a sad day for those who love the experience of attending local footy.

I find the curtain raisers, especially at Marvel, completely soulless.
There been about one or two and they start so much earlier than they should that hardly anybody is there that early. These curtain raisers should not be ending an hour before seniors. Curtain raisers have not been programmed often at all. If people start to know all day games have a curtain raiser and it not a massive gap between end of it and start of senior game it will be ideal.

There been about one or two and they start so much earlier than they should that hardly anybody is there that early. These curtain raisers should not be ending an hour before seniors. Curtain raisers have not been programmed often at all. If people start to know all day games have a curtain raiser and it not a massive gap between end of it and start of senior game it will be ideal.
This.

Twilight game (starting at 3.20) start the VFL game at 1.20. Finish it 15-20 minutes beforehand. At least then those who get in a bit early for the game will catch the last quarter.

The suns v dogs AFL game has been moved from 1:45 to 4:35. The VFL clash is meant to be at Footscray between these two sides at 6pm. Is the VFL time being moved too to allow fans to get to both?

This.

Twilight game (starting at 3.20) start the VFL game at 1.20. Finish it 15-20 minutes beforehand. At least then those who get in a bit early for the game will catch the last quarter.

It's a really selfish point of view, and I doubt if you could put it more selfishly than that if you tried. Let's ruin VFL fans enjoyment of attending games at Princes Park, Punt Road, Victoria Park, Whitten Oval etc so AFL fans 'who get in a bit early can catch the last quarter' of a match they don't care about.

Suburban footy has a sizeable traditionalist fanbase. It has a culture untouched by the corporate marketing machine of the AFL. It keeps footy in touch with communities, and local economies, and it keeps alive the heritage of of the game. Some people won't be happy until that is all crushed for no other reason than to provide added value to AFL fans who look down their noses at it.

It's a really selfish point of view, and I doubt if you could put it more selfishly than that if you tried. Let's ruin VFL fans enjoyment of attending games at Princes Park, Punt Road, Victoria Park, Whitten Oval etc so AFL fans 'who get in a bit early can catch the last quarter' of a match they don't care about.

Suburban footy has a sizeable traditionalist fanbase. It has a culture untouched by the corporate marketing machine of the AFL. It keeps footy in touch with communities, and local economies, and it keeps alive the heritage of of the game. Some people won't be happy until that is all crushed for no other reason than to provide added value to AFL fans who look down their noses at it.

I wouldn't mind if they experimented with a few twilight matches at Punt Road, about 10mins after the final siren at the MCG.

Even if the Tigers were not involved and it was a neutral venue. The problem with curtain raisers is an hour between the end of the match and the start of the AFL.
Following the AFL at Punt Road takes away the wait.

Yeh, doesn’t need to be every week, do it once or twice a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back