VFL to merge with NEAFL, under-18 comps revamped in massive changes to AFL’s second tier

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're going to have 14/18 clubs in what will essentially be a reserves comp you may as well get the other 4 clubs and make it an AFL reserves competition. The fixturing will be easier that way too, you just match up to exactly what the senior AFL team is doing that weekend.

So who funds the 2nd tier that produces the likes of Tim Kelly.

You'be aware of the haircut?
I understand where you’re coming from but these channels still need content and this is relatively cheap local content.
I’m not suggesting huge dollars but some contribution towards the running costs of the comp is better than nothing.

So who funds the 2nd tier that produces the likes of Tim Kelly.
What would change in that situation? If hypothetically WCE and Freo had their reserves playing in an AFL reserves comp rather than in the WAFL, would that negatively affect the WAFL? I'd think the WAFL would operate much as they are this season with 9 clubs. And someone like Tim Kelly would have the same opportunity to develop for South Fremantle. Who funds it? The same WAFC distributions from WCE/Freo, plus gate, TV rights, fundraising, etc. that have funded the WAFL for the last 30 years.

Or do think that if West Coast's and Freo's reserves were removed from the WAFL no one would be interested in it anymore? That seems unlikely to me.

What would change in that situation? If hypothetically WCE and Freo had their reserves playing in an AFL reserves comp rather than in the WAFL, would that negatively affect the WAFL? I'd think the WAFL would operate much as they are this season with 9 clubs. And someone like Tim Kelly would have the same opportunity to develop for South Fremantle. Who funds it? The same WAFC distributions from WCE/Freo, plus gate, TV rights, fundraising, etc. that have funded the WAFL for the last 30 years.

Or do think that if West Coast's and Freo's reserves were removed from the WAFL no one would be interested in it anymore? That seems unlikely to me.

Someone pays for the players, if travelling every fortnight, a job would difficult to find. The top up players for the WAFL teams dont travel. The time involved, the cost is not like intra Melbourne games every weekend.
The AFL are rejigging their costs for savings.

You are right about the WAFL, the faithful only attend & they'd prefer the Eagles didnt have a stand alone team permanently & nothing changed for Freo/Peel.

Isn't there already more coin in the MPNFL and EDFL than what Frankston and Coburg can stump up? If you're not professional, do you want to be flying out to play interstate 6 or 8 times a year?

Not any more, with the introduction of salary caps. Top suburban leagues last year were $200k - $220k. VFL standalone was $380k.

Suburban leagues have been slashed to $100k for the next couple of years.

Isn't there already more coin in the MPNFL and EDFL than what Frankston and Coburg can stump up? If you're not professional, do you want to be flying out to play interstate 6 or 8 times a year?
Not any more, with the introduction of salary caps. Top suburban leagues last year were $200k - $220k. VFL standalone was $380k.

I think there would be several clubs that would be stronger financially than Frankston or Coburg.

The next few years will be interesting with very low caps that are nearly impossible to enforce and money building up in the bigger local club bank accounts across the state.

potential at some point for a new VFA to be formed involving some of these clubs that will end up with huge amounts sitting in their accounts.

a discussion for another thread.

Wasn't aware that the salary cap would be that harsh. Obviously that changes things.

$100k is 1990's level for some clubs, or $250 per player per game. Will be interesting to see how they police it. Not sure the VAFA has dished out too many sanctions over the years in the face of guys joining the Ammos on supposedly $0 while turning down $1,000 a week in suburban and country comps. Can your missus still work in the canteen for $20k a year outside the cap?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’re being a bit naive there’s huge amounts of under the table type arrangements that happen in the suburban and country leagues that are almost impossible to police they have been happing for years at certain clubs also the level of commitment required to play at that level is know where near that of a state league club !

I think you’re being a bit naive there’s huge amounts of under the table type arrangements that happen in the suburban and country leagues that are almost impossible to police they have been happing for years at certain clubs also the level of commitment required to play at that level is know where near that of a state league club !
Exactly. From my involvement on committees at several country league clubs I can tell you the Salary cap is very loosely applied and a lot of under the table payments going on

Not being naive, that obviously happens but the salary cap has had an impact. It places responsibility on a club’s committee, and not many people are too keen on having their names personally linked to cheating. In combination with the points system, the salary cap has had an impact.

Not being naive, that obviously happens but the salary cap has had an impact. It places responsibility on a club’s committee, and not many people are too keen on having their names personally linked to cheating. In combination with the points system, the salary cap has had an impact.
Apparently the VFL salary cap is going down to $200,000

that does seem a bit low but I have no clue about anything finance related

I know that Stephen Daniel was saying that if they enter the QAFL they would only be able to keep 8 of their current players due to the points system

Are the AFL cutting costs in footy not the social inclusive, non footy stuff ... sure they've off loaded the Media guy but why do they need a media propaganda division.
Footy is what the AFL should be first & foremost.

That’s the weird part about it all is that the AFL is wanting clubs to cut their football department spending but not other departments.

So the media etc are staying the same at both the AFL and club land but the departments that actually deliver on field performance need to cut down

Apparently the VFL salary cap is going down to $200,000

that does seem a bit low but I have no clue about anything finance related

I know that Stephen Daniel was saying that if they enter the QAFL they would only be able to keep 8 of their current players due to the points system

It’s not a massive drop from what it was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back